PDA

View Full Version : Make the introduction apart of the sign up process or get rid of it!

pgvoutdoors
07-28-2008, 11:08 PM
It's about time to look at how many people are put off by rude requests to do an introduction. I personally feel this is very wrong and should come to an end. Many people don't feel comfortable in putting to much personal information on the web. Some just need a little time to open up. If it's so important to the forum to have an introduction, then it should be apart of the sign up process. People can decide then if it's right for them. I feel it should be eliminated all together. It seems only a small group of people really care anyway. Give it some thought...

crashdive123
07-28-2008, 11:24 PM
My thoughts - since I'm one of the ones that care about it (to a point). In any teaching or learning situation a starting point has to be established. Whether I'm giving or getting advice, a bit of background is helpful. I completely understand that anybody can say anything they want about themselves (truth or lies) and that will usually come out fairly quick by what they say - and that says more than any bio could. Just look at the last 2 days. There have been 2 or 3 that have come here saying they want to go live in the woods for a year and here's the list I made up in 5 minutes or I want to go primative (except for the knife, pots and pans...just no guns). A couple were 14 or 15 and one was 22. Another kid says what should he carry on his back. For a meaningful exchange of ideas to take place, that's just not the way to start IMO. I try to be polite enough when I ask them to introduce themselves. Not looking for personal stuff. Somebody asking about wilderness stuff in Florida, Colorado, Manitoba, Sri Lanka, Brazil, Norway....does that make sense? And as part of the sign in we are encouraged to make our first post in the intro section.

pgvoutdoors
07-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Background in formal instruction can be at great tool for an instructor to prepare for his period of instruction. I very much respect your opinion crashdive, I think in a forum like this people open up more through the questions they ask and the replies the receive. As you stated, through communication a lot comes to life. We can't chase them off before a fair dialog is established.

Sarge47
07-28-2008, 11:34 PM
I just received a "Profile message" from one of those "new individuals" a bit ago that was simply a copy of their post, obviously "yanking my chain." I think that intros should be optional, but for advice that can result in "life or death" we need to make sure of our facts before we so freely distribute it. so asking for further information is not "out of line". PGV, I respect all that you've done & continue to do, & because of that I will also not allow this forum to be abused by those who are just playing games. I hope you understand.:cool:

pgvoutdoors
07-28-2008, 11:38 PM
I absolutely understand Sarge... Some topics get pretty heavy and do care should be given when discussing them.

crashdive123
07-28-2008, 11:43 PM
On the poll I had selected mandatory, but I can see your point PGV - optional may be better. If somebody's first post is something about cattails, or making fire with a hand drill - then sure, a conversation is fine to get things going. Maybe it's the old retired Navy fa*t in me that doesn't want to put somebody in jeopardy with advice that is beyond their capabilities or so basic that I bore them to tears. Think back when you were in the Marines (I know, I know - once a Marine, always a Marine) basic training was just that. Your advanced training relied on the foundation that had be established earlier. We don't have the luxury of knowing how well all the foundations are built that we come across. Maybe I'm putting too much into it...I don't know.

pgvoutdoors
07-28-2008, 11:45 PM
If all you regulars can pass on this thread for me I would greatly appreciate it. I believe this is a serious subject and needs to be addressed.

Oh, and let me know when Rick is coming, I'll put my helmet and cup on!

pgvoutdoors
07-28-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm really looking for the best way to bring in new people and keep their interest. I just have seen too many shoved over to the intro thread and never come back. We can do better and many of you have more experience in this forum than I do. This is such a good site, I hate to have anybody leave disgruntled. I know we can't make them all happy, and some don't deserve a voice, but threads displaying rude behavior on our part can only hurt the site.

Sarge47
07-28-2008, 11:57 PM
On the poll I had selected mandatory, but I can see your point PGV - optional may be better. If somebody's first post is something about cattails, or making fire with a hand drill - then sure, a conversation is fine to get things going. Maybe it's the old retired Navy fa*t in me that doesn't want to put somebody in jeopardy with advice that is beyond their capabilities or so basic that I bore them to tears. Think back when you were in the Marines (I know, I know - once a Marine, always a Marine) basic training was just that. Your advanced training relied on the foundation that had be established earlier. We don't have the luxury of knowing how well all the foundations are built that we come across. Maybe I'm putting too much into it...I don't know.

My eldest son, with whom i was just reunited with after 34 years, will say the same thing; "Once A Marine, Always A Marine!" Here's the way I see it. Somebody stumbles onto the site, has something to share, and blurts it out on a post without intoducing themselves 1st, perhaps it's a recipe or something like that. A conversation gets started & that person blends right in. Then another poster comes on asking a question about "living off of the land". What land? where? Will He/She be alone, or with somebody? How much do they already know so we don't have to cover as much of the same ground twice. We need some facts here. Finally, A Newby comes on looking like a Troll & says something really nuts like Living off of the land, primitive style, for a very long time, yet confesses they don't know hardly anything about it. That person wants our advice, so we give it, & much of it is negative, which then angers the person since they didn't like what they just heard & they start flaming on the members. That needs to be stopped at the onset. Also, some "Newbys just appear to be trying to start trouble. They also need to be stopped.:cool:

crashdive123
07-29-2008, 12:05 AM
We've got a few "Oldbies" that like causing trouble too.:eek:

pgvoutdoors
07-29-2008, 12:07 AM
Hay Sarge, Say hello and Semper Fi to your son for me.
Maybe it's time to shut down the few problem people using the discretion of the moderators. If we take better care of welcoming the new people to the forum, letting them ease into discussions, this would be doing our part. If things get out of hand with someone, let the moderators bump them off the forum.

My eldest son, with whom i was just reunited with after 34 years, will say the same thing; "Once A Marine, Always A Marine!" Here's the way I see it. Somebody stumbles onto the site, has something to share, and blurts it out on a post without intoducing themselves 1st, perhaps it's a recipe or something like that. A conversation gets started & that person blends right in. Then another poster comes on asking a question about "living off of the land". What land? where? Will He/She be alone, or with somebody? How much do they already know so we don't have to cover as much of the same ground twice. We need some facts here. Finally, A Newby comes on looking like a Troll & says something really nuts like Living off of the land, primitive style, for a very long time, yet confesses they don't know hardly anything about it. That person wants our advice, so we give it, & much of it is negative, which then angers the person since they didn't like what they just heard & they start flaming on the members. That needs to be stopped at the onset. Also, some "Newbys just appear to be trying to start trouble. They also need to be stopped.:cool:

crashdive123
07-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Bumping people off.....don't give the Super Mods any new ideas. It's late - goodnight all.

GVan
07-29-2008, 12:48 AM
It is a sign of the times that people want to become part of something yet show no respect for what they've become part of. If you leave these types of individuals alone they'll eventually become bored and go away.

Remember, this is about survival, and one mustn't become distressed and agitated over trivial matters. It will work itself out in the long run.

Keep your cool.

Rick
07-29-2008, 03:37 AM
No cup or helmet needed. Just a mitt.

The only reason I ask for an Intro is just to get a better handle on who is talking. I'll defer all the pros and cons to Crash's first post. He did a nice job there. A recent example is someone that joined from Indianapolis. I learned that in his Intro. Since we are only a few miles a part, I can offer up suggestions and advice (which I did) that I otherwise would not offer. Specific locations to try out skills or specific organizations that offer classes, etc.

I really don't care if they choose to do an Intro or not. If they prefer their privacy, then so be it. If they choose to lie about themselves, so be that, too. I don't care.

I don't ask as a standing policy but just to try and gain some knowledge. If they offered some info on themselves in their first post (not an Intro) then I don't bother asking them to do it.

Either way is fine with me. I just think it's courteous when meeting someone to inquire something about them (where they are from, likes and dislikes, whatever is appropriate to the situation). It shows that you are interested in them and it's a way to make them a bit more comfortable in a new surrounding. I would hope it comes across that way in a forum setting as well.

By the way, I voted optional.

pgvoutdoors
07-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Thanks Rick for you response. I know this subject has come up before and there may be no easy way to deal with it. I hope you can give it some thought and some kind of actions can be taken.:confused:

Chris
07-29-2008, 01:27 PM
No way to make it mandatory, and getting rid of it would take away what is perhaps the easiest way for a new poster to get their feet wet, as it were.

There is nothing wrong with asking people, or good naturedly encouraging them, to post an introduction. You do it in all sorts of social groups, think about it. The new kid in school is often asked to share a little bit about himself. At an AA meeting newcomers are asked (though not forced) to share. When you join a new company you'll often share some things. This is not uncommon.

But privacy needs to be respected, so you can't force it on people.

So... I guess the best motto would be an AA meeting or something like that. "We would like it if you would share something about yourself, but you don't have to if it makes you uncomfortable."

pgvoutdoors
07-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks Chris, A bit of politeness can go a long way. I believe that is the bottom line.

trax
07-29-2008, 01:36 PM
sigh...ok, my name's trax and I'm a wildernessaholic and campfire food addict....(sob)

Sarge47
07-29-2008, 05:16 PM
sigh...ok, my name's trax and I'm a wildernessaholic and campfire food addict....(sob)

(Sarge clapping enthusiastically, tears running down his face, nodding vigorously.:() Hear! Hear!:cool:

RangerXanatos
07-29-2008, 06:14 PM
I believe that a person should have the right not to post an introduction. But that person may not be able to post at all untill they do introduce themselves (so would that be optional or mandatory?). Till then, they may only lurk. I say that because I think of this forum as a community. In a community, one does not just jump into any conversation without introducing ones self. Agreeing with Chris, I also think that it's a great way for them to "get their feet wet."

At another forum that I visit, there was no introduction sub-forum. I lurked for close to two years before I did my first post. But when I did, I started it off with an introduction about myself, and then I got to the question I was wondering. The moderator commended me for my style I presented myself with and that he wished for more people to have my sense of class.

So to me, it's more of a gesture of courtesy.

Daniel

Rick
07-29-2008, 06:18 PM
And let me be the first to commend you for your post.

Hey, Trax. Get a grip. Everybody has a an illness today. By the way, want to try my twinky dunked in Wild Turkey? It's mmmmm good!

Ole WV Coot
07-29-2008, 11:32 PM
I just don't like to insult someone's intelligence. It's nice to know what part of the country they are in. Drop me in the desert and I would have a real rough time, probably the same trouble in the Far North. Drop me anywhere in the Appalachian chain and I am at home from one end to the other. I have spent a lot of years in this area, darn proud of my heritage. Proud to be from E. KY and live just across the river. Same people & families on both sides. This me in the woods for a year stuff might be taken differently if I knew where, age and if they have their ducks in a row.