PDA

View Full Version : Greenbriar root/tubers?

Merriwether
07-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Does anyone have experience with preparing greenbrair roots/tubers? Supposedly you can extract starch from them but ever source I've read is vague on the process. I have a couple of nice, big roots to work with but I thought I'd try to learn from someone else before reinventing the wheel.

Thanks,
-Merriwether

crashdive123
07-28-2008, 02:32 PM
From "Peterson Field Guide Wild Edible Plants" pg. 196:

The rootstocks of many species yeild a gelatin substitute. Crush them thoroughly, and prepare them using the same washing process as used for cattails. The dry red powder that is produced makes a mild jelly when boiled with water (1 tbs. powder per cup of water). Also, it can be mixed half and half with wheat flour, added to stews as a thickening agent, or diluted and sweetend for use as a cold drink.

Gray Wolf
07-28-2008, 02:38 PM
or diluted and sweetend for use as a cold drink.

With some corn mash or Wild Turkey (not the runnin kind) of coarse... :D

crashdive123
07-28-2008, 02:44 PM
another multi-use plant:D

Merriwether
07-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Excellent! A source of jello shots in the woods...:D

-Merriwether

Gray Wolf
07-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Excellent! A source of jello shots in the woods...:D

Gee crash, why didn't either one of us come up with "jello shots"! Merriwether you're already giving great tips!

crashdive123
07-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Our age may be showing. Nowadays the only thing I notice with jello shots is the young lass delivering them.

Rick
07-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Do you have to get that in the shoulder or the tush?

danmc
04-26-2009, 10:55 PM
ever do anything that that root? I personally have not done anything with the root. Around where I live the new growth is at a good eating stage right now. Not a bad salad at all. Grows all over the place and easy to find. The weird looks you get from anyone who sees you eat some of it is a bonus ;)

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Does anyone have experience with preparing greenbrair roots/tubers? Supposedly you can extract starch from them but ever source I've read is vague on the process. I have a couple of nice, big roots to work with but I thought I'd try to learn from someone else before reinventing the wheel.

Thanks,
-Merriwether

I can do it, here is my process,
crush the roots in cold water.
pour water into shallow cookie sheets
allow red solids to settle to the bottom.
pour off water>\.
evaporate until red dust remains.
use red dust like corn starch to thicken, some species make good geletin(jello) Ramond MearsThe wilderness survival handbook describes how to do it also.ISBN 0-312-09359-4