PDA

View Full Version : Volunteer Corn

Chris
07-28-2008, 08:35 AM
So a squirrel or chipmunk has been planting corn kernels from the bird feeder all over my yard. Most I get rid of when weeding, one I decided to let grow, it is now 8 foot tall and has ears.

The question is, if I harvest those ears, will I like them?

Sourdough
07-28-2008, 08:43 AM
You have to eat it at just the right stage of maturity or it is to hard. And that stage is early. But perhaps the squirrels did not plant it for you to eat.

Feed a squirrel save a wolf...........

Interesting that to the squirrel your grass yard is weeds, and the corn is a thing of beauty, and nurishment..........:rolleyes:

nell67
07-28-2008, 08:46 AM
Is it field corn?? I know some who eat field corn,picking it before it dries out,and they say it is just as good as sweet corn,but I have never tried it,si I really,honestly can not answer that question.

trax
07-28-2008, 10:38 AM
The question is, if I harvest those ears, will I like them?

The question is, if you harvest those ears, are you going to pi$$ off that hard working squirrel? Tread softly my friend.....

crashdive123
07-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Stealing food from Nora's relatives would not be a good thing.

wareagle69
08-03-2008, 08:21 AM
i wonder what typr of corn they put in bird seed, maybe what nell was saying sweet corn vs feild corn feild meaning fodder for the cows. hmm makes a man think, tell ya what chris do it as an experiment, you have a great responsibility to help educate us here.

Chris
08-03-2008, 08:38 AM
I think it is probably field corn... BUT i searched for recipes and lots of people do cook & eat it so....