PDA

View Full Version : Rate my Kit

ledzeppie
07-28-2008, 12:20 AM
consider this deleted.

Sarge47
07-28-2008, 01:31 AM
Led Zeppie you dissapoint me. We had a member post some photos of his hand awhile back showing us all the damage he'd done to it when he had some problems with a razor blade in his Survival kit.:eek: But that's not what's bothering me. Check out these Blog entrys & perhaps you'll understand:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/blog.php?b=47 :cool:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/blog.php?b=29

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/blog.php?b=102

klkak
07-28-2008, 01:52 AM
So I made a survival kit tutorial for people that don't know much about the outdoors and I want to know what you guys think of it.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Compact-Survival-Kit/

Something I already know i could have done different: add flagging tape, flint, and maybe a space blanket instead of poncho.
(i chose the cheap razor blade because I originally did this kit as a tutorial, and I wanted to keep it cheap, but I know a better knife would be needed for a good kit.)

Just what we need. Another someone who's made a list of stuff they think we need in our survival kit. Take your kit and go into the wilderness for a spell. When you get back let us know how it went and make sure you take pictures.

ledzeppie
07-28-2008, 02:12 AM
Ok so a knife is the big one here... I had a bad feeling about that one... I called it a razor blade in the tutorial but it really is more of a utility blade, but still I can easily see where you're coming from.

i didnt include first aid, but if I did it would be too big to fit in a pocket. So that would be a second part to the kit?

and I guess I did the "2.) The 2nd most popular topic is for a Newby who desires to put together a survival kit"

I did base that kit on a presentation I saw from a search and rescue guy about building a kit. He included the utility blade though...but it seems like your biggest problem is the newby survival kit topic...

Live and learn I guess... I'm usually pretty stubborn but from browsing the forums you seem to know your stuff Sarge, teach me lol.
You never truly learn anything if you never try anything.

Rick
07-28-2008, 10:00 AM
If you had looked at this section, you would have seen there is a sticky just on survival kits. Klkak is right on the money. There is no perfect survival kit. It will change based on your geography and knowledge. Try reading through the sticky.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1256

crashdive123
07-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Klkak has given you the best advice for any kit. Since you asked us to rate your kit, I give it a 3.8.

Sarge47
07-28-2008, 12:11 PM
1st you gotta study. Go back to the "Blog" section & read every blog on it; including "Pop Quiz", Part #1. Next buy several good books on the subject. (there are some great titles in the Blog section as well) Since no one here is Psyhic, (maybe "Psycho") we don't know what books you may own on the subject, or have read, or if you have any at all. Here's the start-up list:

1st, putting together a Survival Kit was NOT the mistake, posting it was. Next thing I'm waiting for you to do is start talking "Survival Knives", which is talked about at some length in the "Survival knives" sticky. If you don't already own them, got to Amazon & order the following books:

"Build the Perfect Survival Kit" by John D. McCann.

"98.6 Degrees; The Art of Keeping Your A$$ alive." by Cody Lundin. (check out Rick's great review of this book else-where in the forums. Actually he should consider posting it in the "Blog" section.

Both the 1967 AND the 1984 editions of the Boy Scout Fieldbook. And an older copy (1940's-1950's) of the Boy Scout Handbook wouldn't hurt either.

Next, & this is one of the most important. LEARN 1st AID!!!:eek: Become a "home-grown field medic", it can save your life, or someone else's. Given your tender years I would strongly suggest you join the Boy Scouts; if they don't teach very much "outdoors stuff" or 1st aid then find a way to get it going yourself, I would.:cool:

ledzeppie
07-28-2008, 02:03 PM
The book I have right now is the SAS Survival Guide. I've read it front to back about 4 times. So a new book might be in order :rolleyes:

I've read the first aid section of that book about 6 times. I've also read a few articles on the internet (from credible sites) on first aid. I haven't had any real training (which I guess would be most useful) but I have tried to learn about it already.

Sarge47
07-28-2008, 02:26 PM
The book I have right now is the SAS Survival Guide. I've read it front to back about 4 times. So a new book might be in order :rolleyes:

I've read the first aid section of that book about 6 times. I've also read a few articles on the internet (from credible sites) on first aid. I haven't had any real training (which I guess would be most useful) but I have tried to learn about it already.

The SAS Survival guide is a great book...& the Humvee is a great vehicle; niether of which apply to you. You need to get a realistic view of you & your situation. Rick, and several othrs on here are Scoutmasters. They teach, among other things, 1st aid. The Boy Scouts teaches 1st Aid, and, yes, you need to get at least the 1st 2 books I mentioned, they are essential.:cool:

Rick
07-28-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm not at all certain how it works in Kanata but down here in the States the local Red Cross and hospitals offer a number of first aid courses. If they do the same up there, look for combination courses like a First Aid, CPR and AED class. You'll receive the same training as the individual classes and save some money.

You can also look in my library. I have the Army Cold Weather Injuries manual as well as the Global Medicine Wilderness Rescue series and the Army First Aid and Special Forces Medical Handbooks.

Ole WV Coot
07-28-2008, 11:32 PM
If you can't learn first aid at the Red Cross just remember you ain't a brain surgeon. Just learn the simple, basic things to do until trained medical help gets there. Might not hurt if you can hang around an ER and see if blood and other things bother you. I've seen brave men faint over a little blood and nothing to be ashamed of either.

Gray Wolf
07-28-2008, 11:47 PM
I've seen brave men faint over a little blood and nothing to be ashamed of either.

But a must to get use to it! And depending on what ya kill, there may be a lot of blood...

BraggSurvivor
07-29-2008, 01:27 AM
You people have no idea..........

Back to gloom & doom..........

Rick
07-29-2008, 03:22 AM
Well, we never claimed to have any ideas. Any one particular thing you were referring to?

BraggSurvivor
07-29-2008, 11:30 AM
My bad. I got into smoking some tequila/lime soaked Salmon and had a few too many wobbly pops. Read into it wrong, sorry.

Rick
07-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Well, there would be no foul IF you shared those Salmon and wobbly pops. I'm a little parched and hungry right now.