PDA

View Full Version : gps ?

mountainboy
07-27-2008, 05:57 PM
do yall have hand held gps for getting around ? seems like it would be real useful espealy on with topo .i have a megellan sportrak map an i realy like it .wish i had a small section of northeast al ,tn line in topo .cant afford to buy the whole down load is there a way i can get just my surrounding area of northeast al , tn , georga. they join me ? any help would be help ful or just info thx yall .

crashdive123
07-27-2008, 06:06 PM
Just out of curiosity....how many threads are you going to start and ask the same question.

Be patient - it's Sunday night. Some of our GPS users will be able to help you. Ya just gotta give it some time.

mountainboy
07-27-2008, 09:35 PM
thought i may have posted in wrong place .no big plan to it or any thing sorry the the mistake

crashdive123
07-28-2008, 11:43 AM
No worries.

bulrush
08-08-2008, 09:09 AM
I use a Garmin 76csx for geocaching. Works pretty well, even under tree cover. Many GPS units do not work well under cover. Especially those with patch antennas (the lower priced units).

You can go to www.geocaching.com and there is a forum. There have been threads in the past about getting free topo maps onto your GPS but I don't remember if they were for Garmin or Magellan units. Anyway the whole process requires a computers, a GPS that connects to the computer with cable, and is very involved because you have to download the free topo map, convert it to the GPS format, then get it onto your GPS unit. If you are a computer expert you might have a chance of getting what you want for free.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
08-09-2008, 07:06 AM
When they first came out I thought they was the chit ! after usein one for a while other then getting me close to favorite fishing spots and deer stands etc. I came to the conclusion that my maps and compass were just as well. trouble was, I constantly found myself looking at the screen instead of my surroundings and where to place my feet . I have one and use it on occasion but map and compass is the way to go in my opinion the batteries dont wear out either.

wildWoman
08-09-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't have a GPS, I use a map and compass. Actually, my old dog is my GPS. On command, he will lead me back to where we came from.
Would highly recommend anyone with a dog to give it a try! Start by saying on your regular walks each time you're heading back "let's go home" to the dog. Then say it at some point in the middle of your walk and see if your dog already knows to turn around. If she does, excellent! To determine how much you can rely on your dog's leadership, find out how distracted she gets by fresh tracks etc, if she needs reassurance, is willing to lead you etc. Always be prepared to find your own way home, though, even with a super GPS dog.

Ole WV Coot
08-09-2008, 02:33 PM
Don't know if I mentioned it before but I have a Garmin Geko 201 and I cheat. I mark a known spot about 8 miles into the woods with the gps. It is a basic gps but it works for me. On my ATV I take a general compass reading on a distant object and turn the bezel to it. I go on my merry way, may wander a mile or a dozen off my route, if metal detecting I sometimes forget how much ground I cover. When my keen instincts dim a little I turn the gps on hit goback and follow the arrow. I use the power plug on the atv and have the gps mounted in a plexiglass slide on the handlebars, saves on buying batteries. I don't have to be perfect but the old beech by the creek is easy to see if I am off more than usual.

klkak
08-12-2008, 12:35 PM
I have a Garmin gps. I hardly ever use it. My trapping partner has this radar/gps/depth sounder/find your way in the dark in a blizzard thing in the boat. We used it continually last winter while trapping. Without it we would have been blind most of the time.

pgvoutdoors
08-12-2008, 02:12 PM
If you get a copy of the Forestry Suppliers Inc. catalog, they have the best comparison of all brands of GPS's. You can order a copy from their website: www.forestry-suppliers.com

Beo
08-12-2008, 02:33 PM
I don't use a gps either, sun in the day, moon and stars at night, compass and map if not sure of area i'm going into.
GPS... Goobers Playing Survival... just joking everyone.

pgvoutdoors
08-12-2008, 02:51 PM
As a wilderness guide it's a given that you will carry a GPS. It's apart of that being responsible for others thing. But, it does come in handy at times when time is an issue. The units have come a long way and provide a wealth of information, though most of that info is NOT a requirement for safe land navigate. If you plan on staying on designated trails you don't need one. If you plan on staying within a few miles of where you start, you don't need one. But if you like the idea of the extra security of knowing where your at, then a basic unit along with a map can do everything you need. No mapping capability needed with the unit. Use it to confirm your location on the map now and then and your set. Even if you don't have a map, you can save way points along your route and use them to orient yourself. Important: If you plan on using a map in conjunction with the GPS, please learn how to plot a coordinate. Many people have no idea how to do this and end up with a map and GPS they can't use.
My personal suggestion concerning GPS's is if you feel that you want or need the extra security of a GPS, go with a basic unit and learn how to use it completely. If your not sure that you need a advanced unit, YOU DON"T! Keep it simple and learn to use other land navigation methods and you will be ahead of the game.

trax
08-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Darn that pgv and his accursed common sense!

wildWoman
08-12-2008, 04:51 PM
...just bring along a good dog. Apart from its innate GPS functions, it'll also point out tracks and animal traffic for you, keep you warm at night and give you lots of kisses. Now try to find a GPS that does all that! ;)

Ole WV Coot
08-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Darn that pgv and his accursed common sense!

You tellum Son, common sense is one thing we can't tolerate. You would think he would feel kinda out of place with us but that thing came in handy last summer when a kid from TN that didn't know the trails wrecked. Called EMS and the chopper guys that day weren't familiar with the area, turned that ugly green thing on and gave them co-ordinates, found us then, picked the kid up and saved him but he's back in TN paralyzed from from the neck down. No helmet, not much sense and paid a huge price for it. Besides covering most of my face not to scare kiddies and old ladies I don't ride without one.

Rick
08-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Son? Son! Hey, Trax. You're back in the will!

klkak
08-12-2008, 10:00 PM
As a wilderness guide it's a given that you will carry a GPS. It's apart of that being responsible for others thing. But, it does come in handy at times when time is an issue. The units have come a long way and provide a wealth of information, though most of that info is NOT a requirement for safe land navigate. If you plan on staying on designated trails you don't need one. If you plan on staying within a few miles of where you start, you don't need one. But if you like the idea of the extra security of knowing where your at, then a basic unit along with a map can do everything you need. No mapping capability needed with the unit. Use it to confirm your location on the map now and then and your set. Even if you don't have a map, you can save way points along your route and use them to orient yourself. Important: If you plan on using a map in conjunction with the GPS, please learn how to plot a coordinate. Many people have no idea how to do this and end up with a map and GPS they can't use.
My personal suggestion concerning GPS's is if you feel that you want or need the extra security of a GPS, go with a basic unit and learn how to use it completely. If your not sure that you need a advanced unit, YOU DON"T! Keep it simple and learn to use other land navigation methods and you will be ahead of the game.

I carry my GPS every day along with the Sat. phone. In the last 3 years I've only used it two times. To give the rescue chopper our location. Two men that may have died are alive because of that GPS and Sat phone. They are like American Express "Never leave home without it"

klkak
08-12-2008, 10:13 PM
You tellum Son, common sense is one thing we can't tolerate. You would think he would feel kinda out of place with us but that thing came in handy last summer when a kid from TN that didn't know the trails wrecked. Called EMS and the chopper guys that day weren't familiar with the area, turned that ugly green thing on and gave them co-ordinates, found us then, picked the kid up and saved him but he's back in TN paralyzed from from the neck down. No helmet, not much sense and paid a huge price for it. Besides covering most of my face not to scare kiddies and old ladies I don't ride without one.

Amen, Coot. If you don't wear a helmet when riding then you are just "Plain Damn Stupid". If folks reading this happen to be "PDS" I hope your organ donor info is filled out.

I witnessed an accident a couple years ago. A drunk driver crossed the center line and hit head on a motorcycle with a man and woman on it. The man was not wearing a helmet (PDS), the woman was. The man died, his injury was TBI (traumatic brain injury). His helmet was strapped to the back of the bike.

crashdive123
08-12-2008, 10:21 PM
When I lived in Hawaii in the 70's I was PDS. Never wore my helmet while riding my motorcycle unless I was going onto one of the military bases. One day my roomates and I decided to go for a ride to the other side of the island. Didn't know why at the time, but grabbed my full face helmet. 30 minutes later a car ran me off the road near Aloha Stadium. On the table at Tripler Army Hospital they just separated the helmet - no tools required. I was pretty banged and broken, but the noggin was in tact. I've never ridden without a helmet since that day.

klkak
08-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Good for you Crash.

Fargus
08-12-2008, 10:50 PM
As a wilderness guide it's a given that you will carry a GPS.
I was reading the other day that quite a few of the wilderness guide/outfitters were now requiring or issuing those PLBs (personal locator beacons). I think some of the newer model GPS units now (or will) have that capability as well. Have you had any experience with them (PLBs)? I know that they saved a few avalanche victims last year. Just curious as to range and what all is required to pick up the signal.

crashdive123
08-12-2008, 10:52 PM
I've always carried (never had to use it) the marine version - epirb - when sailing off shore.

Fargus
08-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Are those the ones that have both a manual activation button and a salt water immersion emergency device (after a period of time in salt water, they activate automatically)?

crashdive123
08-12-2008, 11:03 PM
Yes - I always carried a Class I (auto activation)

klkak
08-12-2008, 11:48 PM
The boat has an "Aquafix" on it.