PDA

View Full Version : Home Canning Wild Meat

TrappinGal
07-27-2008, 09:32 AM
do any of you can wild meat you harvest?

i can alot of deer and last year for the first time i canned some elk and wild hog.

if you do can it do you add any spices other than a little salt and pepper?

its coming that time again before you now it and i ws just interested in maybe some new variations on my game canning recipe.

Rick
07-27-2008, 03:53 PM
I don't but here are some links:

http://www.oces.okstate.edu/nwdistrict/wildlife-expo-handouts/Canning.pdf

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/tips/fall/venison.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=scGOJVDGkyIC&pg=PA148&lpg=PA148&dq=recipes+for+canning+wild+game&source=web&ots=pvbeFjgaEh&sig=-DBabFncEclJtSk7GbaQDchR3e0&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=9&ct=result

Sourdough
07-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Lot of people here smoke Salmon with lots of spices in the brine, and then can it after it is smoked, and the nice ones give old men a jar or two.

RBB
07-28-2008, 02:57 PM
We can venison and the occasional bear. Bear is better canned than fresh (my opinion). We also can jackfish, usually pickled (pickled pike).

We just use salt and pepper for canning meat.

trax
07-28-2008, 04:13 PM
We can venison and the occasional bear. Bear is better canned than fresh (my opinion). We also can jackfish, usually pickled (pickled pike).

We just use salt and pepper for canning meat.

Putting up pounds of pickled pike?

trax
07-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Lot of people here smoke Salmon with lots of spices in the brine, and then can it after it is smoked, and the nice ones give old men a jar or two.

Squirreling away smoked salmon?

crashdive123
07-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Simply prudently sequestering provisions sequentially providing seasonal plates.

Rick
07-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Pounding pounds of pike in pints presents problems. Personally prefer pints of Pilsner.

trax
07-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Simply prudently sequestering provisions sequentially providing seasonal plates.

Duuuude, yer like....Yoda or something!

crashdive123
07-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Learned it during my year in the wilderness with just a knife and volley ball to talk to.

Rick
07-28-2008, 04:56 PM
You got that "something" part right!

crashdive123
07-28-2008, 04:58 PM
What? What the???? WILSON!

Rick
07-28-2008, 06:51 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/01/21/science/castaway533.jpg

Psst. Crash. Yo. Where you been? I was out in the wilderness and you just sort of left. What's up with that?

wildWoman
07-30-2008, 06:21 PM
We can moose, black bear and mountain goat as well as lake trout. When we first started canning, we didn't spice the meat much, thinking that way we have more freedom when the time comes to eat it. Found that it smelled a bit too similar to canned dog food for our taste though...Have been spicing it more ever since (chili, wine sauce, tomato sauce, white sauce etc) and are much happier with the results.
The fish we smoke first, or else fry it with onion in a bit of flour. Tastes really nice that way!

TrappinGal
07-30-2008, 06:25 PM
ty for the suggested variations. i usually just use salt and pepper and occaisionally have put it a slice of onion on top of it.

have you ever added bullion to the jars before canning?

wildWoman
07-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Yes we've done that too, works fine, tastes great. One good way to do it is the next time you're canning, just do one batch with all different seasonings. It's a bit more time intensive, but if you can hold off with canning more meat for a couple of weeks, you have a chance (excuse!) to sample what you made before and see what you like and what you didn't. Then just can the rest the way that tasted best to you. I did that last time and it worked great. We keep already digging into those cans even thoough we still have a few of the old dogfood-odour ones left...

Rick
07-30-2008, 07:29 PM
What was your recipe, WW?

wildWoman
07-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Not really any recipe...we pre-cook the meat slightly, add onions, garlic, spices; depending on what it is supposed to turn into, make a tomato sauce or wine sauce etc, throw it all in the jars with the meat, top it up with water and that's it. Or make soup stock and add that to the meat.