PDA

View Full Version : Purslane Experiment

Rick
07-23-2008, 01:53 PM
As I've indicated in the past, I have volunteer purslane that sprouts in my garden every year. I think it makes a much better salad than lettuce. It has a clean crunchy texture that never turns bitter in the heat of summer like leaf lettuce does. Unfortunately, it only grew in my garden and seldom anywhere else.

I left one purslane plant alone unmolested and nurtured the little guy and he (she?) blessed me with seeds this morning, which I dutifully scattered throughout the flower beds around the house. Hopefully, I'll see some of the fruits of that effort yet this year in the form of new purslane plants.

I would like to gather additional seeds this fall and over winter the seeds so I can plant in containers next year. That would be really cool!

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/JPEG%27S/Plant%20Web%20Images/Purslane.Photo.jpg

Chris
07-23-2008, 08:35 PM
You can eat that? It grows all over my lawn. Weed.

wareagle69
07-23-2008, 08:40 PM
i have been looking for it this summer had lots of it at my old house meaning i had sandy soil now i have clay so i am conditiong a large patch out back for next year, but yes rick an excellent addition to your salad. any wood sorrel around?

Rick
07-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Chris - You bet. Make certains it's Purslane. Break a stem and if it is milky then it is NOT Purslane but possibly Spurge, which is poisonous. It the sap is clear then it's Purslane. Great stuff!!

WE - You bet. Wood sorrel abounds. My problem with wood sorrel is it has to be blooming for me to be able to identify it. Just not that cozy with it yet.

wareagle69
07-23-2008, 08:49 PM
why blooming? look closley it is heart shaped with a fold down the middle and if in doubt taste real quick that will let you know if its clover or sorrel

Chris
07-24-2008, 08:44 AM
do you eat the whole thing (stems) or just the leaves?

wareagle69
07-24-2008, 09:10 AM
both ... try this
8 cups potatoes cut into 1 to 2 inch chuncks
1 and a half cup water
3 cups chopped purslane stems and leaves
3 cups sauteed mushrooms
1 cup finely chopped commercial or wild onion
5 to 6 eggs
2 teaspoons rosemary
1 teaspoon black pepper
cook the potatoes in the water until soft, mash and add the rest of the ingerdiants,mix and form patties. bake on an oiled cookie sheet for 15 to 20 minutes in a pre heated oven. cool on racks.
from wild man steve brill identifyining and harevesting wild and medicinal plants pg288

Rick
07-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Nice recipe! Thanks.

Chris - I pick both and just wash them like I would leaf lettuce. They have a nice crunchy pleasant flavor. Nothing fancy but it makes a great salad. Toss in some peppers, cucumbers and carrots from the garden and a few nasturtium flowers. Good stuff!

wareagle69
09-13-2009, 08:25 AM
hey rick, noticed a guest veiwing this and wondered how the expeiment went, as i siad eariler to you i have done this also, brought some inside then the last couple of weeks it has been on the back deck, it is all red right now, when can i expect seed?

Rick
09-13-2009, 08:45 AM
I had tons of purslane this year. I let a couple of the plants grow without picking them. I was amazed at how large they grew. Larger than I've ever seen before. Probably a couple of feet wide with stems the size of your little finger. I even planted some seed in a container and had it growing on the patio. So it does very well as a container plant.

You don't have to have seed to spread it either. You can break a piece off and stick it in the ground and it will develop roots and start growing. It might be the hardiest plant we have. Very drought tolerant, too.

Chris
09-13-2009, 11:26 AM
I planted a bunch too.

I bought some seeds of an upright variety on ebay, but then it goes to seed so quickly I bring whole bunches in for eating, stems, leaves, seed pods, all. Give it a coarse chop, then put it in a fine mesh collander and shake it over a bowl, hundreds of seeds fall out. I put the seeds in a jar, and add the top growth to whatever it was I was cooking (it is so versatile, salads, stews, stirfrys).

I'll probably dedicate a whole section to it next year, it is rare to find something so healthy, versatile, and easy to grow.

Rick
09-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Amazing that it isn't domesticated isn't it? Amazing that so few know about it.

crashdive123
09-13-2009, 06:38 PM
I've probably seen it and didn't even realize it. This is one that I definitely want to try. If I can't find any, I'll order some seeds and plant it - may do that anyway.

Rick
09-13-2009, 06:41 PM
I don't know about Florida but I'll bet you have it. Disturbed soil around here. Gardens, flower beds, just about any place that isn't grasslands or forest. It looks like little rubber tree plants. Make certain the sap is clear!!

http://weeds.cropsci.illinois.edu/images/Purslane/images/Purslane%201.jpg

Rick
09-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Yep. Looks like it grows there, too.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MV118

crashdive123
09-13-2009, 06:59 PM
While I'm out on my walks I'll start looking for it.

Rick
09-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Now that you said that, you'll start seeing it everywhere. We block so much out of our vision unless we need it.

All I have to say is, "I saw a red Ford F-150 today." Now everyone will start seeing them. People are funny animals.

your_comforting_company
09-16-2009, 07:10 AM
Call it a weed if you want, but this stuff is delicious to eat and is an excellent ground cover in flower beds. We have a bed specifically for purslane which gets very pretty yellow blooms. I regularly snack on it when outside, though I only eat the leaves as the stem can sometimes be a bit fibrous on the bigger plants.
down here we call it porch-a-liker (portulaca said with a very redneck dialect) and everyone I know considers it a weed.
The easiest difference to tell is that portulaca gets a red tinge around the outside edges of the leaves, but spurge gets a red spot in the middle of the leaf. the sap is another good indicator, and if all else fails, if you taste it and its bad, its not portulaca. To me it tastes exactly like lettuce (maybe a tiny bit sweeter) and is super good when chilled. Add it to baked potatoes with butter and you've got something!

Rick
09-16-2009, 07:22 AM
Yellow blooms. Thank you. I left that out.

pocomoonskyeyes
09-16-2009, 07:40 AM
Call it a weed if you want, ... and everyone I know considers it a weed.

"A weed is a plant that man has not found a use for yet". I believe that was Thoreau who said that but I may be wrong. That saying pops in my head every time I see the word weed. Sorry folks I just had to throw that in.

Following the guidelines of Thoreau(?) I guess we can stop calling this a weed. So how do we get the word out? No more name calling on purslane!!!

LudwigVan
09-16-2009, 03:17 PM
I love this stuff, it grows in my gravel driveway as well as in the yard. Much better than lettuce in just about every way, IMO. Great in soups and stews, salads, I like to put in in my eggs too. It also has waaay more vitamins in it than your average salad green.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
09-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks to this post I identified my first purslane today! Thanks all!

your_comforting_company
09-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Congratulations! It's a wonderful feeling I know.

How did you enjoy it?

mix it with a few wood sorrel pods or leaves for a delightful snack!

COWBOYSURVIVAL
09-16-2009, 06:39 PM
I haven't collected any yet...The several I saw were at work. However I have 8 acres at home and I am sure there is some here too.. I will be trying it.

canid
09-17-2009, 02:45 AM
my purslane grows all over the yard, but is stunted and sickly everywhere but my garden. it thrives in disturbed/tilled soil.

it probably doesn't help that my soil is essentially hardpan. i would grow it intentionally if it weren't that i have to weed more of it out than i would probably ever eat.

it's certainly good to have, and otherwise to know there's plenty at need. if i found myself unable to irrigate the garden, it would take it over, and thus the garden would still be rather productive. for similar reasons, i'm putting in a fence of Opuntia ficus-indica. once they are established, i never have to water them again.

LudwigVan
10-02-2009, 02:48 PM
I read a tip on harvesting Purslane, If you uproot it from the ground it will use the remaining nutrients it has in it to go to seed. Kind of a survival technique it has, so if someone pulls it up and sets it down it will unknowlingly release seed before it withers.

I haven't tried it so I don't know how this works, unfortunately our purslane here is about finished for the year. But for you guys that like to plant this stuff, I figued this might be a good easy way to get seeds.

Rick
10-02-2009, 02:58 PM
You can also break off pieces and stick the ends in the dirt. It will grow roots and start growing where ever you put it. It's really hard to kill purslane off just because it can adapt so well.

LudwigVan
10-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Oh that's even more cool...Looks like I've got some experimenting to do next spring