PDA

View Full Version : who's most likely to survive

wareagle69
08-09-2007, 09:06 PM
i was driving home this afternoon, stopped at the light and there was a panhandler, sign said travelling on the road and hungry. got me to thinking ,when i was young in my 20's in the military and out i was hard core heck when i got out of the army i tried making my living as a pro bullrider living in a slide in camper and not eating much, i loved the lifesyle i just wasn't very good at riding bulls but i had my freedom, then i got into the trades about 11 yrs ago, more stability and stuff, met a girl got married more stuff, now i am really spoiled, sure i can rough it in the woods for a couple of days, but then ia am cback to my soft lifestyle, back to the beggar i bet if tshtf he would barely notice and keep on living as normal (to him) but i have grown acustomed to my life makes me wonder as well trained as i supposedly am who would fare better me or him.

FVR
08-09-2007, 09:13 PM
I believe you.

Tony uk
08-10-2007, 12:17 PM
I second what FVR said :)

trax
08-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Yeah, it's not a "trauma" or emergency situation to someone who's living that way all the time is it? Similarly, I was talking to my boss one day about how "back in the day" my entire life fit in one packsack and I could hit the road whenever I felt like it and stick out my thumb in whatever direction looked interesting. And I often did. Sometimes I miss those days.

wareagle69
08-10-2007, 05:52 PM
i thought allot about this today at work.i am not the deep thinker that some of us are here but this idea captivated me. basically i came up with the idea that even though this guy is living very frugally he is relying on the help of ppl whether it be from panhandleing or food kicthens or what ever so even though he is used to living w/o in a shtf scenario where would that help be.

myself on the other hand although i am living a "priveledged" lifestlye and feel soft and spoiled compared to my younger days could still rely on myself in tough times and survive although the initial adjustment to not having my favorite creamer for my coffee would suck i know that i would snap to soon enough and probably in a sick way enjoy myself as everyone in this forum reading this and nodding heads in agreement would also.

FVR
08-10-2007, 08:20 PM
You hit the nail on the head, they depend on others.

I work down on Tara blvd and Mount Zion blvd where there are many urban outdoorsman and woman. Many times when it's raining in the winter I will hand out a few 55 gal. trashbags and a roll of duct tape.

I've only had one thing ever stolen and tht was a roll of duct tape. They ask for my used rope when I'm done with it.

I never give money, I will however give out a few breakfast bars, if my gator 3.5 jug is full, they can get drinks supplying their own cups. When I quit smoking cigars, (a few times) they are more than happy to get my extras. Extra sandwich's that I do not eat also get handed out.

They will sift through the trash and look for old lottery tickets. One guy told me that many throw the tickets away when they notice that they did not win the big money. But, alot of tickets have small winnings, one guy picket up two tickets for a total of 75 bucks oneday.

My co. buys me new steel toes each year, so I will give away the old ones to those that need them.

They depend ALOT on the sympathetic public.

wareagle69
08-10-2007, 08:35 PM
i was cursing ya today fvr.
your quote at the bottom can't cheat the mountain pilgrim. one of my all time fav movies. i can picture the old trapper now scool ol rob(jerimiah) so any ways i'm driving in my van thinking abour something and all of a sudden i says to my self " thats a good idea pilgrim" and just started cracking up thinking damn that fvr now it's stuck in my head

FVR
08-10-2007, 09:08 PM
l am Bear Claw Chris Lapp.

Blood kin to the grizzly
that bit Jim Bridger's arss!

You are molesting my hunt!

l know who you are!

You're the same dumb pilgrim
l've been hearing for days...

...and smelling for !

How come you ain't been scalped?

wareagle69
08-10-2007, 09:28 PM
you sure you can skin a griz pilgrim?

FVR
08-10-2007, 09:39 PM
l'm half horse, half gator,
and a touch of the earthquake.

l got the prettiest gal,
fastest horse...

...ugliest dog this side of hell.

l can out-jump, out-run, throw down...

...drag out and whip
any man in all Kentucky.

spiritman
08-10-2007, 09:40 PM
What the heck is this movie your quoting? i want to see it!

wareagle69
08-10-2007, 09:46 PM
jerimiah johnson with robrt redford one of the best movies ppl like us will evr see

FVR
08-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Filmed in spiritman's home state, Utah.

Great hunter.

Fine figure of a man, yes?

That is all you need to know.
For now.

spiritman
08-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Filmed here and I never knew about it... Scandalous!

wareagle69
08-11-2007, 09:36 AM
whats on the spit?

grown particular about your food

no only the company

you cook mighty good rabbit pilgram

HOP
08-12-2007, 07:35 AM
There is a rail trail right across the street here in the small town I live in and I ocasionally see hikers and engage them in conversation , Many of them use the trail to go from one city to the next and will ask to stay with people and go to churches for food vouchers . They seem to be kinda modern day Hobos and aren't testing there survival skills but just surviving, they aren't really about freedom and experencing the outdoors but just getting by. I think homeless shelters should teach woodscraft.

FVR
08-12-2007, 09:20 AM
l hunt griz.

Grizzly bears, pilgrim.
l collect the claws.

l had one in that thicket back there.

Ready to shake hands
until you came along!

trax
08-13-2007, 03:19 PM
There is a rail trail right across the street here in the small town I live in and I ocasionally see hikers and engage them in conversation , Many of them use the trail to go from one city to the next and will ask to stay with people and go to churches for food vouchers . They seem to be kinda modern day Hobos and aren't testing there survival skills but just surviving, they aren't really about freedom and experencing the outdoors but just getting by. I think homeless shelters should teach woodscraft.

Teaching them is one thing, my friend, but what about those who have chosen the way you're describing, how many will actually use them?

HOP
08-25-2007, 07:59 AM
The experenced homeless person could probably teach everyone on this forum a few things not just surviving but thriving.

wareagle69
08-25-2007, 08:47 AM
I don't agree with that hop the experienced homless person could teach me the ropes of innercity reliance on food banks and shelters, but put them in a survival situation i don't think they would survive is the help they relied upon was taken away..

Sarge47
08-25-2007, 11:09 AM
I don't agree with that hop the experienced homless person could teach me the ropes of innercity reliance on food banks and shelters, but put them in a survival situation i don't think they would survive is the help they relied upon was taken away..

I spent 4 years on staff at a "Rescue Mission" & found out that some were there out of nessessity and others because they shunned social respomsibility, others because that's where their parole from prison led them. Many of them had "street savy", but what they were best at was taking advantage of people in order to keep from working; not all, but a lot of them. Ihave more respect for people like Les, bear, and even TBWN than a lot of those people.:cool:

FVR
08-25-2007, 11:13 AM
I very much doubt it.

You've come far pilgrim.

: Feels like far.

Were it worth the trouble?

: Ahh what trouble?

FVR
08-25-2007, 11:28 AM
I refrain from judging the urban outdoorsman.

I know not their story, have not walked in their shoes.

I treat them all with respect and dignity. They are a part of society that many shun. Who am I to pass judgement?

Sarge47
08-25-2007, 11:40 AM
I refrain from judging the urban outdoorsman.

I know not their story, have not walked in their shoes.

I treat them all with respect and dignity. They are a part of society that many shun. Who am I to pass judgement?

...but I HAVE heard their stories, I have experianced some of them as well, and I will only say that most of them, by their own admission, do not wish to take their rightful place in society, but still wish to glean whatever gain they might get without trading any labor. Although some of them might advertise that they are willing to work, most of them will not. The only reason they put up those signs: "Will Work for Food" is because direct panhandling is against the law in many states. Call me old-fashioned, but I believe that "the laborer is worthy of his wage".;)

wareagle69
08-25-2007, 11:51 AM
this is my experience with one
I was going to lunch at burger king in phx. buddy comes up and asks for money cause he's hungry i tell him i will buy him lunch he says he would rather have the money, i bought him lunch anyways.

i technically have been homeless several times my self in my twenties when i lived in Arizona, but i still had a job saved up money bought a truck and slide in camper was given to me by a guy who taught me to ride bulls. we would go around the circuit and find ranches that would trade work for food and a shower sometimes a bunk in the bunk house. i was skinny and my estranged family horrified that i was homeless and a drifter but i was free and doing what i loved but relied on no government subsidies, so i personally figure these ppl can help themselves if they truly wanted to. i spend my time donating and volunteering for animals wild and domestic they are truly helpless and at our mercy.

Sarge47
08-25-2007, 11:55 AM
this is my experience with one
I was going to lunch at burger king in phx. buddy comes up and asks for money cause he's hungry i tell him i will buy him lunch he says he would rather have the money, i bought him lunch anyways.

i technically have been homeless several times my self in my twenties when i lived in Arizona, but i still had a job saved up money bought a truck and slide in camper was given to me by a guy who taught me to ride bulls. we would go around the circuit and find ranches that would trade work for food and a shower sometimes a bunk in the bunk house. i was skinny and my estranged family horrified that i was homeless and a drifter but i was free and doing what i loved but relied on no government subsidies, so i personally figure these ppl can help themselves if they truly wanted to. i spend my time donating and volunteering for animals wild and domestic they are truly helpless and at our mercy.

Absolutely! BTW, WE, I have nominated Norm for the official "Wolf-Pack" mascot. Any Moose that can snore and fart gets my vote! Anyone else for or against? Any other nominations?:rolleyes:

FVR
08-25-2007, 11:58 AM
I just accept them for what they are, homeless.

I don't try to get them jobs, don't try to change them, don't give money, but if I have extra food, water, or gator, will always hand it out.

I'd do the same for a friend or any stranger on the street.

wareagle69
08-25-2007, 11:58 AM
lol actually norm is also our official mascot at the wild life centre he"s on my business cards and fridge magnets

wareagle69
08-25-2007, 12:04 PM
i understand your position fvr and always respect your opinion here, but maybe i am cut from a different cloth i work hard for what i have and will not give it out to ppl living their choosen lifestlye. now that being said the alcohloic have a saying "there, for but the grace of god go I" i know that i am not to far away from being homless maybe something could happen to me also but i feel that there is enough work out there right now that if you wanted to work you could, i started my constuction career thru manpower sweeping sidewalks, but that got me on site to talk to the subtrades then i moved up from there. if work ran out in ontario i would move to alberta or back to arizona where ever the work is so i can take care of my responsibilities.

FVR
08-25-2007, 12:15 PM
Wareagle,

You're a manpower guy to. I have promoted them more and more. When I got out of the USMC, first thing manpower then onto construction sites.

Then when we closed the printing bus., while looking for a job, manpower again.

I don't listen to those who complain about not getting a job. Manpower is awsome and you can gen. get a wage of 11 to 13 bucks an hour and work alot of OT. It can help you get by.

People don't realize how fast you can lose it all.

As far as the homeless, honestly it is my selfishness that allows me to just give to them. Just makes me feel better about myself. It's my liberal side.

But I will tell you that I DO NOT suffer from Class guilt, white guilt, handicap guilt. I like many have worked damn hard to get to where I am.

It's called "SURVIVAL."

wareagle69
08-25-2007, 12:23 PM
in Ohio i would use manpower to find a second job, just labour stuff working in a freezer stacking ice cream on pallets that kind of stuff, i thought about this yesterday watching the labourers clean the jobs site we are building a teachers college right now i am in the boiler rm doing a 4 wall hung boiler domestic /radiant heat system not working to hard but consistent, but watching the labours work harder than me and for probably 1/4 of the money i make and i do feel privileged but i came from there so i understand like i said i give to the animals maybe it's a way to pay them back for feeding me for 38 yrs.

mbarnatl
08-26-2007, 08:22 AM
I just read an article in "the Backwoodsman" magazine that pertains to this thread. The article "Poor Boy Camping" by James Ballou, talked about how hobos and homeless people getting along in the great outdoors with limited supplies and virtually no money. But, I think it really comes down to how resourceful the person is and their mindset. Homeless or not... it is the one that survives is the one that can adapt to the situation at hand.

The article "Poor Boy Camping" really made me think and look at everyday items that I come in contact with. How can I use that if this was to happen? Ask yourself this when you take a walk in the woods, trip to the store, or when you take the garbage out and the bag breaks... the coffee can that you threw away can be used as a stove, a shovel, used to boil water, a bucket to gather food, etc.

trax
08-27-2007, 10:44 AM
But, I think it really comes down to how resourceful the person is and their mindset. Homeless or not... it is the one that survives is the one that can adapt to the situation at hand.

...and how that person utilizes his/her resourcefulness skill set, if in a manner we see as using survival skills or in a manner of taking advantage of others, which we may find morally reprehensible, but if it's a homeless person, our opinions are the least of their concerns. Either way, they're surviving.