PDA

View Full Version : Stainless or Carbon Steel?

sgtdraino
07-22-2008, 06:38 AM
Some experts swear by carbon steel, because it is easier to sharpen in the field. Other experts swear by stainless steel, saying that a carbon steel edge can quickly degrade simply while you're carrying the knife around, because the metal is so thin at the edge.

Which sort of steel do you prefer, and why?

Rick
07-22-2008, 07:39 AM
For me, it would depend on the environment. I keep a working edge on mine. I don't have to have it so sharp you can shave a gnat's whiskers. So either one works for me. If it cuts, I'm happy. If I were in a salt water environment, I'd probably be more prone to use stainless.

Ole WV Coot
07-22-2008, 08:09 AM
The good ole carbon. I maintain my knives and don't use a thick steel when I make them. Knives are for cutting and slicing. I always take something to do heavy cutting. I do own a few Buck hollow ground stainless and they are great. I said somewhere before I prefer the Neesmuk style blade and I can make one for nothing but labor. I posted a couple I made for my Grandson somewhere. I do agree with Rick, if you aren't a knife nut and don't need a razor edge stainless especially around salt water or left in the sheath is best.

tonester
07-22-2008, 08:18 AM
i would have to agree with rick...it depends on the environment. if i was gonna be somewhere moist i would stick with stainless. however i would say i prefer carbon slightly over stainless because for me it seems to hold an edge longer.

crashdive123
07-22-2008, 08:18 AM
I like em both. Living and working near the coast, and out on the water when I get a chance - the salt will definitely take it's toll. If out for a weekend, I usually have a couple of each.

Fargus
07-22-2008, 09:42 AM
I prefer stainless normally. Then again, it's really more about the heat treatment. The 'best' steel in the world won't perform if the heat treatment process is lacking.

skunkkiller
07-22-2008, 10:19 AM
I have to say carbon I don't live by salt water so I don't have thing about that and I think carbon takes a better edge.

RangerXanatos
07-22-2008, 11:43 AM
It depends on the situation. For cutting up food or being around water, I want stainless. For bigger heavier duties, I want carbon. But this can be compromised with a coated carbon or a thicker stainless. But most of all, I agree with Fargus. Neither one isn't worth it if they don't have a good heat treatment.

Daniel

Gray Wolf
07-22-2008, 11:53 AM
I like them both as long as they're well made. I prefer carbon, coated carbon even better. But I take good care of my knives, so I have no problem with carbon blades. If it's stainless, it must be at least 440C.

Arkansas_Ranger
07-22-2008, 03:48 PM
I have a stainless in one pocket and a carbon in the other. ;)

RobertRogers
07-22-2008, 04:35 PM
A matter of taste. If the knife is cared for it may not matter that it is not stainless even in rough conditions. And even stainless is not foolproof (nothing is foolproof!)

dilligaf2u2
07-23-2008, 02:17 AM
Why limit yourself. I have had some bad of each and I have had some good of each.

I have carried a Mora Clipper for the last few years, I have several other knives, I use from time to time. I never go out in the wilds without at least 2 fixed blades and a couple folders. When it comes to knives? Redundancy is precaution.

Don