PDA

View Full Version : capsaicin for natural pain relief

smokelessfire
07-21-2008, 02:58 PM
capsaicin is found in hot peppers. it is there to balance the pain of the heat by being an anti imflammant. it is also found in watermelon lol don't ask me why. ever notice that after eating a big bowl of 3 alarm chili that you feel relaxed and pain free? it works and works well. good for people with chronic pain. grow them, dry them, powder them, store them, use them! or can them.

crashdive123
07-21-2008, 03:30 PM
You may want to check on that. From Wikipedia:

"Capsaicin /ˌkæpˈseˌɪ.sɪn/ (8-methyl-N-vanillyl-6-nonenamide) is the active component of chili peppers, which are plants belonging to the genus Capsicum. It is an irritant for mammals, including humans, and produces a sensation of burning in any tissue with which it comes into contact. Capsaicin and several related compounds are called capsaicinoids and are produced as a secondary metabolite by chili peppers, probably as deterrents against herbivores. Pure capsaicin is a hydrophobic, colorless, odorless, crystalline to waxy compound."

It is also the active ingredient in many personal defense sprays.

Chris
07-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Menthol.. from mint, that is your pain reliever.

In anycase, capsaicin doesn't cause inflammation, it is a chemical burning sensation, not actual burning.

It does help digestion though, and peppers a good source of vitamin c.

crashdive123
07-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Chris - do you know what it is in mint that helps with pain relief? In the past I've use those topical peppermint applications to the temples to relieve headaches. Seems to have helped.

nell67
07-21-2008, 04:28 PM
They work well on sore muscles and joints to,like Biofreeze or Freeze it,they contain menthol and camphor.

Rick
07-21-2008, 08:08 PM
The reason peppers make you feel good is they cause the brain to release Endorphins. They are a natural opiode (morphine) that the body produces in times of pain. Since your body actually believes it's on fire, the brain releases endorphins to block the pain. I've heard that folks can actually have an "out of body" experience after eating Bhut Jolokia peppers or Habanero extract (which can cause physical harm) because of the amount of endorphins they cause the body to release. It's sort of a natural high.

Can't help on the mint.

crashdive123
07-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Back in my younger days (there may have been alcohol involved) I seem to recall a hot pepper eating experience (or challenge). If memory serves me correctly, I did experience an out of body experience, but it wasn't from the endorphins that I wish my brain had released. Never, ever take a 1 quart mason jar handed to you when you are complaining about the pain.....or at least don't take it from a guy that makes his own shine.

Rick
07-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Man! How many lessons can you cram into one paragraph? I can count at least half a dozen in that one!

TrappinGal
07-21-2008, 09:48 PM
milk will make the burning sensation in your mouth and throat go away after eating hot spicy foods.

do not drink water, it will only make it worse.

i dont know about raw peppers working for pain but i do know my dad uses a pain reliever called capsazian c.. dont know if its relevant but it is interesting,lol.

crashdive123
07-21-2008, 11:07 PM

...and the shine won't make the burning go away......I just didn't care as much.

Rick
07-22-2008, 07:54 AM
"Dude, your mouth is on fire."

"Yeah, I know. Those peppers were hot."

"No, man. It's really on fire."

"So that's where the flames were coming from. Cool. Pass the shine again."

smokelessfire
07-22-2008, 09:31 AM
well anyway, whatever it does the body aches and stiffness go away for awhile. and about that outta body thing lol, ever see that episode of the simpsons with homer and the green chilies? lmao

Dennis K.
07-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Many of the kitchens that I have worked in were staffed mostly by our southern neighbors, who often rely on homeopathic meds. The habenero is a popular migraine remedy. BUT, before you go off and try this, you must understand that many Mexican kids have been raised eating Jalepenos like candy.
A gentleman I worked with (very whitebread) suffered from migraines. I told him about the habenero solution. So he goes and buys some dried habenero powder.
Well, the next time he felt a migraine coming on, he tries some of this stuff. He said it didn't do squat for his migraine, but his mouth was in so much pain, he didn't really care.

Jalepenos and Habeneros are VERY high in vitamin C, though.

Try this recipe - you can grill the veggies, rather than roast them, if you prefer.

* 4 or 5 big Roma tomatoes, seeded
* 1 small red onion
* 2 to 5 cloves garlic
* 1 poblano chile (hot), 2 or 3 medium jalapeño chiles (hotter), or 2 or 3 habenero chiles (hottest)
* Small bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
* 1 shot (1-1/4 ounces) of a nice peppery tequila (like Hornitos)
* Juice of one lime

Peel and quarter the onion, split and seed the chiles, and separate the garlic cloves.

Toss the tomatoes, onion, chiles with the olive oil, salt, and pepper.

Place tomatoes, onion, chiles, and garlic on a roasting pan and roast for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender.

Remove to food processor and add fresh cilantro. Allow the heat from the vegetables to cook the cilantro. Pulse to desired consistency.

Refrigerate before serving to allow the flavors to mingle. Just before serving, finish by stirring in the tequila and lime juice.

trax
07-22-2008, 12:22 PM
I have a similar recipe Dennis, but simpler. It doesn't require the tomatoes, garlic,onion, peppers, cilantro or lime.

TrappinGal
07-22-2008, 12:47 PM
LOL.. trax..your recipe would either GIVE me a headache or make my clothes fall off... as the song goes, lol.

i steer clear of it cause i dont know whaich might be the outcome.

Dennis K.
07-22-2008, 12:51 PM
LOL.. trax..your recipe would either GIVE me a headache or make my clothes fall off... as the song goes, lol.

i steer clear of it cause i dont know whaich might be the outcome.

Welcome to Margaritaville :)

Gray Wolf
07-22-2008, 01:21 PM
It's 5:00 somewhere :D

Gray Wolf
07-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Pain Free Without Numbness: Substance Combination With Chili Peppers

ScienceDaily (May 19, 2008) — A dentist's injection typically causes numbness for several hours. This experience could soon be history. Now, Clifford Woolf, professor at Harvard Medical School and the Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA, and his colleagues have developed a combination of two agents which is able to specifically block pain without producing numbness or motor paralysis. The substance is composed of a normally inactive derivative of the local anesthetic lidocaine, called QX314, and capsaicin, the pain-producing substance in chili peppers.
Capsaicin works by opening channels present only in pain fibers to allow the QX314 only into these cells, where it blocks their function, Woolf explained in the keynote lecture “Using Pain to Block Pain” at the international conference “Development and function of somatosensation and pain” of the Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine (MDC) Berlin-Buch, Germany. “This is the first example of using the body’s own cellular channels as a drug delivery system, targeting treatment only at pain fibers,” he pointed out.

TrappinGal
07-22-2008, 01:39 PM
another reason to avoid the dentist :rolleyes: :D

Rick
07-22-2008, 01:52 PM
make my clothes fall off

My! Oh, my oh my!

http://www.nnsecurity.com/images/hiding_eyes.jpg

TrappinGal
07-22-2008, 01:56 PM
....................:p

TrappinGal
07-22-2008, 01:58 PM
typical male, taking a females words out of context or just plain only hearing what ya wanna here :rolleyes: :D

Rick
07-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Those were your words. If I'm lyin' I'm dyin'!

TrappinGal
07-22-2008, 02:06 PM
they were a limited number of my words... taken outta context......... :p

Rick
07-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Oh, that. Well, at least I spelled them all correcty.;)

TrappinGal
07-22-2008, 02:25 PM
LOL, yes you did , smartbutt

Rick
07-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Hey Trax!!!! Lookie!!!! I got a smart butt!!!!!!!

Matches the rest of me.:D

nell67
07-22-2008, 02:36 PM

I guess it would,since we had this discussion in another thread.... :p

crashdive123
07-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Must have something to do with ashes or tomatoes.

trax
07-22-2008, 02:55 PM

yes yes Richard, you're a smart fellow, now calm down and go finish your sandwich (GAWD,this constant need for affirmation that he has is exhausting)

Rick
07-22-2008, 04:04 PM
(skips off in direction of sandwich) I am a smart butt. I am a smartbutt. Nawny nawny boo boo.

trax
07-22-2008, 04:12 PM
(skips off in direction of sandwich) I am a smart butt. I am a smartbutt. Nawny nawny boo boo.

nell...baby... please don't see this as an opportunity to make more butt cracks. :D :D :D

Rick
07-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Butt crack! I get it. You slay me!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

nell67
07-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Better to be a smartbutt than a wise***,eh Rick??

Rick
07-22-2008, 04:17 PM
"You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well I'm the only one here..."

nell67
07-22-2008, 04:21 PM
" Well I'm the only one here..."You can say that again,lonely place,your mind,isn't it Rick???:D

Chris
07-22-2008, 11:08 PM
milk will make the burning sensation in your mouth and throat go away after eating hot spicy foods.

i dont know about raw peppers working for pain but i do know my dad uses a pain reliever called capsazian c.. dont know if its relevant but it is interesting,lol.
it is the fat in milk, specifically. Capsaicin is fat soluble (not water soluble)

butter, cheese, icecream, etc... any high fat product will work.

Chris
07-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Chris - do you know what it is in mint that helps with pain relief? In the past I've use those topical peppermint applications to the temples to relieve headaches. Seems to have helped.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menthol

Menthol... heh, already said it. Menthol from cigarettes, menthol from cough drops, its literally mint oil extract.

It is a topical anesthetic, I'm not sure how it'd help a headache other than a placebo affect.