PDA

View Full Version : Best Survival Food Pemmican

phennommennonn
07-21-2008, 02:25 PM
A very good friend shared his with me, he is very astute and knows his stuff. My 1st opinion of this was 'u want me to make bird suet for survival food?' but hes correct in the ascension that its high calorie and serves its purpose.

Explorers through the ages have made a special food a staple in their diet that is high in calories and very rich in fat. So high in fat that it would make dietitians cringe, yet so nutritious that hard working men in arctic conditions have thrived on little else for many months without ill effect.

Just what is this magic food that keeps men fit and is so easy to make? The best survival food is pemmican.

Pemmican Ingredients
The Byrd and Ellsworth Antarctic expeditions lived on the following pemmican recipe for nearly six months under great physical hardship in very cold conditions. Learning how to make this kind of Pemmican as a survival food can be an excellent addition to your survival knowledge.

Pemmican
Food Item Percent Weight
Beef Suet 32.66
Whole Milk Powder 19.80
Dried Smoked Bacon 17.57
Powdered Beef Liver, Dehydrated 4.95
Granulated Dried Beef, Dehydrated 4.95
Tomato-Vegetable Concentrate, Dehydrated 4.95
Soy Bean Grits 4.95
Oatmeal, Quick Cooking 2.47
Pea Soup Powder, Dehydrated 2.47
Potatoes, Shredded, Blanched, Dehydrated 1.48
Granulated Bouillon .99
Brewer's Yeast, type 50 B .99
Onion Salt .74
Paprika .37
Lemon Powder .37
Caraway Seed .25
Cayenne Pepper, Ground .025
Black Pepper, Ground .025

Directions to Make Pemmican
Slice the bacon to at least 1/8 inch thick and dice it. Render the bacon until it turns light brown in color and is moisture free. You can tell when the bacon is moisture free by observing when the foam disappears. Strain the fat from the bacon grits and set it aside.

Melt the beef suet, add the bacon fat, and mix well.

Next add and mix all the other pemmican ingredients in this order:
1) Whole milk powder, powdered beef liver, tomato-vegetable concentrate, pea soup powder, soy bean grits, brewers yeast, granulated bouillon, onion salt, and lemon powder.
2 )Next add the black pepper, cayenne pepper, caraway seed, and ground paprika
3) Lastly, add the quick cooking oatmeal, dried bacon grits, granulated dried beef, and the shredded potatoes.

Best Survival Food

Pemmican has served as the foundation for survival rations for generations. It stores well for extended periods of time and provides a very high calorie meal for a minimum of weight. Pemmican is proven. This makes pemmican one of the best survival foods you can make

nell67
07-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Thank you for your recipe,pemmican has been discussed many times on the forum,here is a great link to one of those threads:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=674&highlight=pemmican

If you use the search function on the forum,you can find other references as well!

phennommennonn
07-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Thank you for your recipe,pemmican has been discussed many times on the forum,here is a great link to one of those threads:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=674&highlight=pemmican

If you use the search function on the forum,you can find other references as well!

wow, thanks...i like the one posted in that thread too

Gray Wolf
07-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Suet
Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 850 kcal 3570 kJ
Carbohydrates 0 g
Fat 94 g
- saturated 52 g
- monounsaturated 32 g
- polyunsaturated 3 g
Protein 1.50 g
Zinc 0.22 mg 2%
Cholesterol 68 mg
Selenium 0.2 mg
Fat percentage can vary.
Percentages are relative to US
recommendations for adults.
Source: USDA Nutrient database

trax
07-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Bison & berries if you want the real thing...mmmmm.....

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Another version of the same food is this... 5LBS dehydrated beef, 10OZ dried blueberries,
8 large silced oranges(dried),1LB shelled walnuts,1LB prepaired(and dried)acorns,1LB dried bloodmeal Grind. all ingredients into fines.Combine and mix well. portion into single meals by wraping in cloth.
place cloths into a wicker and press with heavy stones for 21 days or more. pemmican is ready to eat after it becomes a solid mass.(low suet content is better suited for warm
climate regions)

Rick
09-02-2008, 04:06 PM
I don't mind eating the suet. It's hanging from the wire basket that gives me problems.

nell67
09-02-2008, 04:22 PM
I don't mind eating the suet. It's hanging from the wire basket that gives me problems.

Been feeling a little squirrely lately Rick?? See what happens when you hang around Nora,you end up stealing the birds food!

She can be a bad influence at times.

Rick
09-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Bird food? So that's why it was so blamed hard to get at it. Well, live and learn.

nell67
09-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Rick,if you are gonna steal the bird food,you should be a little more discreet,your picture is all over the 'net!

Rick
09-02-2008, 06:34 PM
That's just nuts! What a squirrely thing to do to a guy!