PDA

View Full Version : did some experimenting

commoguy
07-20-2008, 04:35 PM
im bored out here in the sandbox and my wife sent my firesteel out here on mistake lol.....so i was experimenting with different combos of cotton and what not. i found out that you can use antibiotic ointment dabbed into cotten and it will hold a flame pretty nicely. burned while i smoked an entire cigarette so rougly 5ish minutes. another thing is for those of you who buy vitamins and what not but you can use the cotten in the bottles.

crashdive123
07-20-2008, 05:14 PM
I would imagine that the antibiotic ointment is a petrolium based jelly, so it makes sense.

wareagle69
07-20-2008, 06:08 PM
ding ding ding give that man a prize.
hey common guy ever drink at the soldiers dome?

Ridge Wolf
07-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Well yeah, I use genuine petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls. That is straight out of several books on the subject. Anything petroleum based is going to burn, even motor oil if it's hot enough.

Gray Wolf
07-21-2008, 01:37 AM
I truly believe that Ultimate Survival WetFire is the best, no mess, sealed till opened, only need a small amount of shavings from each little cube and will get a blaze going even in a downpour. And It's Cheap! One of the few things that lives up to its advertisements! Even the Gov (GSA) buys it from them.

Rick
07-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Esbit fuel is another good fire starter. Same as what Gray Wolf pointed out on Wetfire tinder.

Gray Wolf
07-21-2008, 12:01 PM
I save the Ultimate Survival WetFire for when the conditions are wet or it's raining or it's snowing heavily. If not, I think that dryer lint from the towel load is the best, great blaze and it's free. :D

commoguy
07-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Well yeah, I use genuine petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls. That is straight out of several books on the subject. Anything petroleum based is going to burn, even motor oil if it's hot enough.

i was pretty sure it was but upon looking at the ingredients it didnt say anything about petroleum jelly so i gave it a go......no i havent drank at the soldiers dome i actually have never heard of it