PDA

View Full Version : volwest,earthquake??

nell67
08-09-2007, 07:13 AM
hey volwest,and anyone else in los angeles,

did you feel the earthquake in los angele this morning?? They say it measured 4.5 so far no reports of injuries or major damage .

donny h
08-09-2007, 09:54 AM
hey volwest,and anyone else in los angeles,

did you feel the earthquake in los angele this morning?? They say it measured 4.5 so far no reports of injuries or major damage .

A 4.5 quake in L.A. is barely news there, although I'm sure it was felt by millions, damage-wise, SoCal is fairly quakeproof up into the mid 5.0s, most of the vulnerable structures have been toppled by previous quakes.

A 4.5 here in Utah would be a catastrophe.

spiritman
08-10-2007, 02:20 AM
The thing is that we are overdue for a lot of seismic activity along the Wasatch front.

donny h
08-10-2007, 02:39 AM
The thing is that we are overdue for a lot of seismic activity along the Wasatch front.

Yeah we are, and all the un-reenforced masonry buildings are at extreme risk, and that's a huge amount of the buildings here, look at all the masonry government offices, schools, hospitals, most every church, and lots and lots of red or white brick houses, many over 50 years old. Like mine.

That food in the basement gonna be harder to get at with 10 or 20 tons of red brick, adobe, and lathe & plaster piled on top of it.

donny h
08-10-2007, 02:58 AM
Yes we did, i was actually writing something here...Woke up my wife and the dog...
It was pretty low strength wise though...so all is good.

Maybe this is a good place to share the one good earthquake survival tip I figured out while living in Orange County for 25 years, maybe you all ready knew this, volwest:

Keep a pair of shoes and a flashlight next to each sleeping person, always.

That seems really simple, but after each big quake in L.A., the news crews will show long lines of folks seeking treatment at the hospital, and I started noticing a pattern, they mostly have bandages on their feet.

Easy enough to figure out, the quake is big enough to break glass, and folks jump to their feet and run through broken glass. Take a second to slip on shoes, and you get to stay home afterwards instead of waiting 12 hours to pay $1000 for some stitches.

During the Northridge quake, I watched a family member run around like a chicken with her head cut off, barefoot. Luckily, we had no broken glass, the thing is that she had shoes next to her bed, she just panicked a bit.

That quake did rupture our gas main, and we nearly flooded when the neighbors pool sloshed out three feet of water in about a minute.