PDA

View Full Version : Compass Reviews?

Fargus
07-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Hi,
Does anyone know of a good web site that has reviews and/or comparisons of various compasses? I am looking for a good (not necessarily expensive) navigation compass. I did a search on here, but couldn't find a specific thread that discussed just compasses and the various makes/models.

What I am looking for in particular:
1. Fluid dampened.
2. Mechanically (screw) adjustable magnetic declination (not a scale).
3. Luminous dial or at least the major points.
4. Clear baseplate style.
5. Mirror and/or sighting prism not required. Not looking for a lensatic. A mirror might be nice though to double as a small signal mirror.
6. Needle, not a card based compass.

I've looked at Suunto, Brunton, and a few other manufacturers ... but none seem to make a model that exactly meets my specs.

Also, this might be a good thread (if I missed a dedicated compass thread on here, please point me to it) to discuss what features everyone thinks are important in a compass. I know everyone has different needs and considerations, so it might be interesting to see what others find valuable or can do without.

trax
07-17-2008, 11:13 AM
Can't help you. Compasses ask me which way's north.

crashdive123
07-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Fargus - just take Trax. No wait....he probably bills by the hour.

Fargus
07-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Hehe, I could stand on the North Pole and still not be able to find my way South. I have the absolute worst sense of direction of anyone on the planet.

trax
07-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Fargus - just take Trax. No wait....he probably bills by the hour.

Yeah, but if I get ya lost and you never make it home there's no charge at all! I didn't say I had the right answer, I just said they ask, LOL.

Rick
07-17-2008, 12:11 PM
You might try Doug Ritter's web site. He does a nice job of explaining who's who in the zoo when it comes to compasses. Did you know Silva doesn't make Silva? Once you understand who the players are then you can starting looking for what you want.

http://www.equipped.org/devices26.htm

Fargus
07-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks Rick! Good link. You are right, that Silva situation is a real mess.

dilligaf2u2
07-20-2008, 06:53 AM
As long as I know the general direction of north and have a typo map. I am good to go.

Never had a need for an expensive compass or GPS.

No one in the last 20 years has taken me blindfolded out to the middle of nowhere and said Go Home from here.

Don

Ridge Wolf
07-20-2008, 08:03 AM
There is a book out: Be Expert with Map and Compass by Bjorn Hjellstrom. I read that while learning how to use a compass. It is a book on Orienteering. Despite the fun and games perspective of it, it is a good starter book to learn how to use a compass. It also has recommendations in it as to what kind of compass to get. The author was one of the inventors of the Silva compass. I am sure that Silva was made by Silva when first invented... I haven't looked at Ricks link yet but would imagine that they are now made in China along with everything else that is supposedly 'American' these days.

I don't know where you are at geographically in South Florida, but I would look for an orienteering course in your area. I do know that there is a guy in Colorado that teaches orienteering by compass for use in the sport of GeoCaching as opposed to using a GPS.

Try this website: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/ scroll down to where it says Navigation Tools and then just under that it has a link to 'All Navigation Tool Reviews'. Scroll down to several compasses on the new page.

I just found this website in my long list of favorites on the puter here.. I can get lost in that list of favorites.. I really need to go through and sort it out. But on this website they rate camping equipment. http://www.backpackgeartest.org/ down at the bottom of the page there is a section on compasses.

I have a Brunton orienteering compass myself and it works just fine for me. It has the night glow paint on the bezel and needle for low light conditions at night.

Fargus
07-20-2008, 09:28 AM
As long as I know the general direction of north and have a typo map. I am good to go.

Never had a need for an expensive compass or GPS.

No one in the last 20 years has taken me blindfolded out to the middle of nowhere and said Go Home from here.
I can agree with this if one has a good topo map and terrain with features that can be differentiated. My problem is that I am frequently out in the Everglades. One spot looks pretty much like every other spot to me. Topo maps don't really help me that much unless I'm near a canal that I can positively identify.

I hate relying completely on my GPS, even when carrying extra batteries. As stated, I have no sense of direction whatsoever. I can usually determine my general direction by the sun, but that can have you off course by many miles. I'm also not just hiking/walking, I'm also marking places (where a GPS is invaluable) for future reference (like nesting areas). If I were just doing something like trying to get from Point A to generally in the vicinity of Point B, then I could go without a GPS but still need a compass because I really don't have much luck/skill maintaining my direction in a relatively featureless environment (I know from experience). I envy those with such skills.

Thanks Ridge Wolf for those links! I used to love Backpackgeartest.org, but they never seem to weed out old reviews of gear that has been discontinued or has been updated. I was looking at a review of a tent on there, the review was 4 years old and the company made many changes to the model so the review wasn't really even close.

Stony
07-20-2008, 12:26 PM
I use the Silva Forester model the past 20 years.
it has the features you are looking for (and the mirror).
if this is not to your liking, try the Swiss Recta; this one may be hard to come by
(and possible pricy).
BUT you get what you pay for.
expext to spend at least $ 60+, with the higher end models going close to $ 100.

Fargus
07-20-2008, 03:57 PM
I use the Silva Forester model the past 20 years.
it has the features you are looking for (and the mirror).

expext to spend at least $ 60+, with the higher end models going close to $ 100.

I've got it narrowed down to: Brunton 15 TDCL Elite, Silva Ranger 515 CL, or Suunto MC-2DL Navigator. All under $50. I don't see a Forester in the Silva model lines, perhaps it was discontinued or caught up in the legal mumbo-jumbo with the naming rights issue mentioned earlier. I set $50 as the highest I would go for a compass. I may still toss out a few requirements and go for something in the $15-$20 range.

Gray Wolf
07-21-2008, 01:22 AM
Instead of tossing out a few requirements, it might be wiser to toss in a few extra bucks. Your life may depend on it one day... And it's not like they have a short life expectancy, a good one will last a very long time JMHO.

Rick
07-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Fargus, you are right about the GPS/compass problems and you don't have to be in the Everglades to wonder which landmark is the one on the map. This past week-end I was looking at a very clearly marked hollow on a map. Elevations were well featured. I looked at the map and at the terrain in front of me and said, "Okay, is it that hollow, that hollow, or that hollow?" There were three there that broke north just like the one on the map. GPS numbers turned out to be almost 1 hour different, probably because of the number of satellites I picked up versus the number used for the map (federal topo map). Sometimes dead reckoning and a combination of topo/compass and even GPS have to be used when you can't see beyond the next ridge or 100 yard because of foliage.

Gray Wolf
07-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Rick, isn't the Silva Ranger your favorite?

skunkkiller
07-21-2008, 11:58 AM
I have compass on my watch that way I always know where it is just make sure when you buy it that it points north I looked at 5 before I found one that worked.I only paid 5.00 for it and I have had it for 21/2 years

Rick
07-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Not my favorite. Both the Ranger CL and the Ranger CLQ are good compasses in my opinion.

Based on the type of hiking I do, I don't need a $50 dollar compass. And unless you are doing long distances in very remote conditions I don't think the majority of folks need that expensive of a compass. You can do just as much with the Polaris or one of the Ranger models for a lot less money.

If you are in Alaska, in the Canadian bush or in S. America like MAC then I'd save my pennies and go after a truly good compass. But just about anywhere in the continental U.S. you are only a few miles from a house in any direction so something that keeps you going in the right direction and in line with your map is probably good enough. I rely on the small compass on my survival bracelet more often than any other compass I own. Even my GPS. A look at the map, a look at the small compass and I know about where I am at any time.

Gray Wolf
07-21-2008, 12:40 PM
For the most part that may be true. But Fargus lives in Southern Florida, if he decides to go deep into the everglades, his life may depend on a accurate compass. There are no mountains and everything looks the same. Very easy to get turned around. JMHO

Fargus
07-21-2008, 04:21 PM
I appreciate all the responses and advice! As Gray Wolf indicates, I probably do need a fairly feature rich compass. From looking over the various makes and models, I've found several pricing 'break points' in compasses. $15, $25, $50, then a big jump into the near $100 range. For the most part, the ones near $100 mostly just have enhancements on the features already built into the ones in the $50 range. I just looked at the Ranger line and they seem to meet my needs almost exactly. I got to do a side-by-side with the comparable Suunto and prefer it slightly over the Silvas. I'll probably do a bit more research before deciding, both seem fairly equal.

crashdive123
07-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Good luck navigating your way through your compass forest.

Rick
07-21-2008, 08:15 PM
There are exceptions to my post and I do recognize that. I wouldn't want to be in the Mojave with just my small compass. I wouldn't want to be in the Everglades either. Just responding to your question and the reasoning behind it.

Tony uk
07-29-2008, 08:24 AM
The silvia expidition models are exellent, http://www.meanandgreen.com/army/Silva/Silva_Expedition_4_Compass/1410/1741.html

There are several different models avalible in their range, Good all round compasses in my book