PDA

View Full Version : New Forage System Unleashed

Chris
07-16-2008, 08:16 PM
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forage/

Any forum member can add plants, comments pictures, etc.

Mods and myself and War Eagle can edit plants. And otherwise tinker with things.

Yes, War Eagle gets special moderator privileges for the plant database, fear him!

So, now we need contributions. There a medicinal or edible plant that grows by you? take a picture, upload it and indicate what you use the plant for, and voila. If you don't know the scientific name of the plant, try google (it is required for you to know the scientific name to upload it for indexing purposes - to make sure we don't get duplicates).

Chris
07-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Features:

1. Upload pictures with scientific names and multiple common names.
2. Identify as a plant or mushroom.
3. Identify as edible or medicinal or both.
4. If plant, identify useful part(s).
5. Add locations where it grows, eventually I'll be able to make an interactive map showing all the locations members have marked.

To existing submissions all members can:

1. Add comments
2. Add pictures
3. Add locations

To all comments members can rate as useful or not useful, with the most useful comment being shown first.

To all pictures members can rate as useful or not useful, with the most useful picture being featured.

Plants can be searched for, browsed for by common name or scientific name, found by tags, or seen on the "view all" page organized by plants, mushrooms, edibles, and medicinals.

RangerXanatos
07-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks Chris! I think this is an excellant idea!

Daniel

Chris
07-16-2008, 09:10 PM
If someone wants to get the hang of it by doing some adding...

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/Appb.php

Almost all of those need to be copied over (I did asparagus).

nell67
07-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Yes, War Eagle gets special moderator privileges for the plant database, fear him!
Fear WE???? Oh yea,I'm skeered now!!!!:D

crashdive123
07-16-2008, 11:18 PM
I wonder if Palerider is gonna weigh in on the plants????:D

Rick
07-17-2008, 06:27 AM
Good stuff, Chris! Thanks!!

Chris
07-17-2008, 08:44 AM
To upload a second picture, when viewing the plant click on the "add to this" bit that is right above the comments.

trax
07-17-2008, 10:35 AM
I suspect this is all a conspiracy to get me to share the 'shrooms. Uh-uhhhhhh.

wareagle69
07-17-2008, 07:13 PM
I wonder if Palerider is gonna weigh in on the plants????:D

thank you your adulation's are welcomed
crash who is palerider? are you off your meds again?

crashdive123
07-17-2008, 07:36 PM
Right now the only wild edible pics I've got are the bananas growing in my back yard. Not really wild, but very invasive.

wildWoman
07-31-2008, 05:43 PM
Great idea, but when I went to check it out the ads put me off so I never made it as far as actually reading the plant info, let alone adding to it. Could you do the ads so they're not so obnoxiously forced down people's throats?

crashdive123
07-31-2008, 05:55 PM
To be honest - I didn't even notice the ads. Maybe my training has paid off.

Chris
07-31-2008, 08:32 PM
The ads are the same as found on the rest of the site, its a template.

wildWoman
07-31-2008, 10:48 PM
Well that's weird then, because when I go on your plant site, it blares a huge ad covering half the screen into my face, which doesn't happen on this forum. On the plant site, I can then choose between skipping the ads or replaying them, by that time I'm already fed up. All I can see on here is a small ad by the top of the posts. Is there a way to get directly to the plant info and circumventing the half screen ads?

wildWoman
07-31-2008, 11:14 PM
...went back on and now was spared the ads. Don't understand why but that's a lot better!

crashdive123
07-31-2008, 11:15 PM
Not sure how you're getting there, but when I go here http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forage/ it seems to work fine.

wildWoman
07-31-2008, 11:26 PM
Don't know, just clicked on one of the numerous links.
One thing I just noticed is that it might be good to see all the info on a plant in one window; sorry I'm not computer savvy, but when I went to add something about Jewelweed in the medicinal compartment, I unknowingly ended up partly repeating what Rick has already posted under the general info for the plant...

Rick
08-01-2008, 04:03 AM
The ads, I think, are cookie driven. When you first log on to the forum you will also see the ad. The difference is the add appears in a new window that minimizes when you log on to the forum. The stays there in the plant database. After you get past it you won't see it again until you clear cookies. At least that how I think it works because sometimes you see it and other times you won't.

As for the add in the database, if you look at the bottom of the add just right of center there is an option to close the add. Otherwise it will self close in 15 seconds.

I'm confused by your last statement. There isn't a "medicinal compartment" (unless our views are different because I'm a moderator. That's happened). There is a Comments section that you can edit. But it all appears on the same page. Are you seeing something else?

Chris
08-01-2008, 09:33 AM
ya the ads are cookie driven, those big interstitial ads (kinda like tv commercials, show for 15 seconds between page views) are 1 per day.

wildWoman
08-01-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm confused by your last statement. There isn't a "medicinal compartment" (unless our views are different because I'm a moderator. That's happened). There is a Comments section that you can edit. But it all appears on the same page. Are you seeing something else?

Just wanted to look at it again before answering but had the bloody ads again...if I remember rightly from yesterday, above the plant pictures there were links to "edible" and "medicinal", which when clicking on them showed again the picture of, say, Jewelweed and with a box for info on the medicinal (or edible) properties of the plant. That's what I meant with it.

wildWoman
08-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Just another thing about the plant forum...can you change the location information for the plants? More general options that reflect plant habitat, like northern, eastern, western etc of this or that continent would be more appropriate, I feel.

Chris
08-04-2008, 08:02 PM
With the locations wildwoman, the idea is that as users visit the site they will add specific locations. Does it grow near you? Add your location? (okay okay, I gotta add that text). Then, when we get a good amount of locations, I'll be able to make dynamic maps showing distribution areas.

wildWoman
08-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Oh okay, sounds good.

Chris
08-04-2008, 08:13 PM
there, I tweaked the text around to hopefully make it more obvious how to add things to existing listings.

Chris
08-09-2008, 08:01 AM
So, anyone know any mushrooms?

canid
08-10-2008, 12:02 AM
i plan to get on it as soon as i can.

i'm partially trying to figure out how to word it, and i only have a limited amount of my mushroom photography available to me at the moment. i'm on the road again these days.

don't start holding your breath just yet.

canid
08-10-2008, 12:03 AM
i did find some Amaranthus species this week, along with a few other niceties such as Acorus calamus and some wild Brassica i'm still trying to key down to species.