PDA

View Full Version : How many make their own gear?

Beo
07-16-2008, 09:59 AM
I was just wondering how many people on here actually make there own gear? I try to make as much as I can just because of the feeling of satisfaction I get and using somethig I made in the foreste on treks, I have made my own knife & sheaths for several knves, diamond fly shelter, wallet, hawk sheath, possibles bag, haversack, spoons & forks, noogins, bowl, canteens, leggings (wool & deer hide) and ties, moccasins, breechclout, and the cording for most.
Does anyone else make their own gear?
Beo,

Ole WV Coot
07-16-2008, 10:38 AM
I make most things because I enjoy doing it. Knives, if I make my own I know what I have and what to expect. I favor the Nessmuk style blade and refuse to pay for a custom, so I make my own exactly the way I want. What I pack on my ATV I want waterproof and I won't pay $200 for a plastic box(cheap maybe). I don't make knives, sheaths etc for sale at all. I think I posted pics of 3 knives on this forum and I can depend on them. I retired my K-Bar & EK from the '60s for would you believe sentimental reasons? Besides getting what I want I don't have any China junk that I depend on. I am building a larger forge now but got derailed to put on a new roof. After that will try my hand at hawks, plan to have the first inch tempered forge welded to the head.

Beo
07-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Would love to make a hawk, even have a 1763 "blueprint" fro one and a pocket knife knife. Just not sure on how to make the hawkhead, materials and such.

tacmedic
07-16-2008, 11:20 AM
When I was active in trekking I made most of my own gear. My shirt, leggings (deer hide and wool), moccasins, breechcloth, pouches, haversack, new pattern knapsack, oilskin tarp, knife sheath and knife, I even had a friend who helped me to make a tomahawk from a section of gun barrel. He was very patient and willing to let me make mistakes so that I could learn from them. I also brain tanned the skins for my leggings and mocs.

skunkkiller
07-16-2008, 12:21 PM
skunkkiller here I have made most of my gear it feels nice to know you made it your self and it works. the only thing I have not made is a hawk but I'm thinking of making one out of a railroad spike and leaving the head on the spike for hammerring tent stakes. One thing I made that turn out nice was a three stick pack frame I got the idea from a primitive willderness survival web site it is pretty comfortable.

Gray Wolf
07-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Would love to make a hawk, even have a 1763 "blueprint" fro one and a pocket knife knife. Just not sure on how to make the hawkhead, materials and such.

A friend of mine used an old Ball Peen hammer to make a hawk. He made a trade with a neighbor of his, that had it since the early 40's. Told him he would trade him a new one for the old one, and they did. If I remember correctly it was a 12 oz head.

Rick
07-16-2008, 05:53 PM
Well, we know Jason makes some of his own gear but we really don't need to get into that.

crashdive123
07-16-2008, 05:59 PM
I make some stuff just to know that I can, and for relaxation. (until the awl slips and goes through a finger) For the most part when I'm out in the wilderness I rely on gear that I bought, but knowing how to ..... gives me a level of comfort and confidence.

FVR
07-16-2008, 06:07 PM
Duhhhhhhhhh...........

You mean I can buy all that stuff?

Damn! All this time I've been making my own gear, and hardly spending anything on it. Now, guess I'll have to get a J.O.B., a credit card, and go into debt like most other Americans.

canid
07-16-2008, 06:15 PM
that's unfair and offensive! i may have debt, and a cancled credit card but i certainly don't have a job.

crashdive123
07-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Frank - I saved my pennies - doing fine. Thanks for your concern though.:D

Rick
07-16-2008, 06:21 PM
I was begging for a while but didn't have much luck. I think it was my sign.

Will work for wilderness foods.
Please no BPA, CVM, Animal Growth Hormone,
Prebotics, Probotics, Anti-biotics or
genetically altered food products.
I do have my principles!

Sam Reeves
07-16-2008, 06:46 PM
I'm a machinist. I fix things that break and make things that almost never break. I'd like to be able to make things out of leather but I haven't developed a talent for that yet.

The thing I'm the most proud of (that nobody else is the in least proud of) is a set of stainless steel tent stakes.

jrock24
07-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Never tried, but interested.

Ole WV Coot
07-16-2008, 10:05 PM
A friend of mine used an old Ball Peen hammer to make a hawk. He made a trade with a neighbor of his, that had it since the early 40's. Told him he would trade him a new one for the old one, and they did. If I remember correctly it was a 12 oz head.

That old hammer had decent steel in it, could be made real thin and could be tempered for the first inch of the blade and the first 1/4" hard unless he planned on a lot of throwing.

RBB
07-17-2008, 07:08 AM
Have made canoes (cedar strip and birch bark), packs (mostly canvas Duluth packs), tents, tarps (canvas and nylon) leather goods (sheaths, belts, holsters, gun rugs, long gun cases), forged items (knives, draw knives, crooked knives, axe heads - until asthma got the better of me), all manner of wood working (I especially enjoy starting from a standing tree and creating something utilitarian).

Raised by depression era parents - I have a hard time paying money for things I can make. My father, 83 years old, is especially good at making something from nothing. Today, we will finish putting a ceiling on one of our cabins. We got the T&G lumber from a 1930s garage we tore down last summer. We got paid $1000 to tear down the garage (owner did clean up and paid skip fee), and we were careful in the tearing down, ending up with about 2000 feet of usable lumber, much of it quite nice.

Canadian-guerilla
07-17-2008, 08:05 PM
i love using Levis as material for DIY gear
the last thing i made was a rough day-bag from a levi leg
it slung over the back diagonally
for the cross strap, i used a " hippy " braided belt
where i can hang my assorted stuff down the front
from far away it might look like a quiver
the stitching at the bag/strap is not pretty, but it holds

Gray Wolf
07-17-2008, 11:18 PM
That old hammer had decent steel in it, could be made real thin and could be tempered for the first inch of the blade and the first 1/4" hard unless he planned on a lot of throwing.

The steel was excellent, held an edge for a lot of chopping, and was easy to sharpen when needed. He wasn't into throwing it. He said that steel from that hammer was easy to work with. I'll try to get a pic of it. The handle he made out of one of the ironwoods, don't remember which one. He let me borrow it for one of my outings. When I got back (after using the heck out of it) I offered him $125 for it, more than I've spent on any handmade hawk or knife. He just laughed and said it wasn't for sale at triple that price! :(

Rick
07-18-2008, 07:19 PM
For those of you that make your own arrows, do you use a pitch stick to glue the arrow head to the shaft? And do you make your own pitch sticks?

I know pine tar and charcoal are used to make the pitch sticks but do any of you add beeswax to make the pitch less brittle?