PDA

View Full Version : Snapshot of our future?

Ridge Wolf
07-15-2008, 01:25 AM
"Now here's something I know you'll really like."

I must admit that this might be feasible, but have to agree with Jerry Kaufman, professor emeritus of urban and regional planning at the University of Wisconsin, Madison that it doesn't have to be so tall.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/07/15/healthscience/15farm.php

Rick
07-15-2008, 08:41 AM
It's actually already happening in cities across America. Salt Lake City, Chicago, New York all going to green roofs for the cooling benefit. I don't think it takes much of a leap to transition to gardens then farms.

http://www.inhabitat.com/2005/11/13/green-roofs/

RobertRogers
07-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Only makes sense. Should have been done years ago.

Ridge Wolf
07-15-2008, 11:10 AM
I read that article and can now relax a little with assurance that the future may not be as bleak as originally anticipated. I'll agree that it should have been done years ago... and apparently has in some areas. I look to seeing more of the same. This gives me an idea for my own backyard. To build a structure with several levels and plant the garden on them, not 30 stories obviously, but at least two levels to take advantage of airspace over the property as a demonstration of intensive gardening in a city environment. I am sure that some of you may have a similar agenda.

Rick
07-15-2008, 02:11 PM
I would think anyone with a flat roof could take advantage of roof top green. My slanted roof would be a bit tough to keep the 'maters on.

(everyone looking up)
Thump! thump, thump, thump, splat!

"Dang, another watermelon rolled off the roof."

Beo
07-16-2008, 10:13 AM
It's ugly, although it may work I just think its ugly and the smell of pent up animals will only add to the stench that cities already have. Now there taking the country to the city.

trax
07-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Well, if it'll feed people, I'm for it. If it will keep people who are in the city there, (on the long-term basis, they're welcome to visit) I'm probably for that too.

Rick
07-16-2008, 01:14 PM
The good part (besides the food) is that the plants reduce the amount of heat radiated by the black roof tops and they help in cleaning the air up. Win/win.