PDA

View Full Version : no knives allowed

wareagle69
08-07-2007, 08:07 PM
what would happen kiddies if when out with your "one tool to survive" your precious was broken or lost, tell me what ya'll would do then.
everyone here seems to have a mojor fetish and dependance on their little piece of steel, so i would like to know how you would survive w/o

always be prepared

Sarge47
08-07-2007, 08:17 PM
what would happen kiddies if when out with your "one tool to survive" your precious was broken or lost, tell me what ya'll would do then.
everyone here seems to have a mojor fetish and dependance on their little piece of steel, so i would like to know how you would survive w/o

always be prepared

Ok guy, let's get real here. I pack enough steel all over my person that I'm never without a blade. This "one piece of equipment stuff is for "minimalists", a laughable therory to which I, for one, do not recognise. we can sit here the rest of our lives and guess about what we'd do if we lost all of our equipment; the truth is,that no one knows for sure untill the situation is thrust upon them. If that ever happens to me and I live through it, I'll get back to you!:rolleyes:

Fog_Harbor
08-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Well, I guess its back to bashing rocks to get an edge! But to tell the truth, I probably use my knife less than other things, such as cordage and shelter material. I guess I could get by without it.

I think for me that survival training is learning to live without, evenif I got stuck with no kit at all, I'm confident enough in my skills to build a fire, obtain water, make shelter, and get food.

FVR
08-07-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm lucky, I can make them out of rocks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/Mvc-002s.jpg

I can make ax's also.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/56298.jpg

Donated this one to an auction to raise money for a cancer victims wife.

FVR
08-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Most game I gut and skin is with flint or chert tools.

Basically they are hand size chunks, sharp on one side and dulled on three.

owl_girl
08-07-2007, 09:07 PM
There is flint around here that I can and have made into sharp objects though they wouldn’t look as nice as the ones FVR makes but they’d cut just fine.

Fog_Harbor
08-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I'm with owl, I can make sharp rocks, but nothing that looks like that.

FVR
08-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Those pics are of the pretty show pieces. Like I said, the ones I use are "tools" and are much more primitive. Most would walk right past them in the wild.

Sarge47
08-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Ever see a "store-bought" survival kit with a razor-blade in it as a knife? Maybe it's cousin, the Exacto knife blade? Those are fine if you're gonna shave or slash your wrists, but give me at least a pocket knife. Lacking that I suppose I would have to make a knife out of flint or a piece of scavaged metal. However remember the old adage "Chance favors the prepared mind", (Under Siege 2..Eric Brosnian..remember?) The idea is to stay prepared, then you likely never have to worry about surviving, just laying back and enjoying the scenery. I see this thread as more like teaching "priorities" than anything else. I'm sure all you Wolves who are into "primitive tools" could make a working "Hummer" out of a pine branch and a pebble from a fast-moving stream. But remember one thing, our Native-Americans here on this continent had stone knives, and traded away very valuable real estate for a really good steel blade. That tells me something.:cool:

FVR
08-08-2007, 12:37 AM
Guess it all depends on where you are in the universe.

Hey, no hummers, maybe a Flinstone mobile.

And Sarge, put them thar beads back in your pocket, have enough beads.

owl_girl
08-08-2007, 12:54 AM
btw awesome work on the stone knives FVR

Texan
08-08-2007, 01:06 AM
:) If for some reason i did not have a knife on me while i was in the wild i would find a piece of flint or obsidian and fashion a cutting tool from that. But thats a stretch to say that i wouldnt have one with me ""I dont go to the mail box without my knife "" And if some natural disaster somehow seperated me from my blade while i was in a city or town then it would not be a problem to come up with some kind of knife because you can find them at any store resteraunt or kitchen in the entire country. So my response to how i would survive without a blade is that ""I would not"" because i would improvise a stone blade or scavange for a real one..

spiritman
08-08-2007, 03:32 AM
Just how do you lose and or break 4 knives? did I get mugged while off the trail by rifle carrying bears? How about a rampaging film crew desperately in need of a bed and breakfast? Nobody is going to try it with a 6' 1" 220lb adult male who is visibly carrying two large knives and a staff as tall as himself with a knot on the end the size of a fist. No deal, I'm with sarge. It's more likely that I would win the lotto without a ticket than being lost without a knife.

ryaninmichigan
08-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Most game I gut and skin is with flint or chert tools.

Basically they are hand size chunks, sharp on one side and dulled on three.

I have to ask,,,,,WHY? Why would you do that if you do not have to? I can participate in this either as I am never with out a knife. Heck I am usually not more then a few feat from my camp axe for that matter.

trax
08-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I can't see it either. If it came down to it, there are plenty of rocks etc around where I go out that I could make something out of, but....nahhhhh...:)

FVR
08-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Ryan, have you ever gutted and skinned a hog? It is a nasty greasy chore, metal bladed knives need to be constantly dipped in hot water as the grease puts a film on the metal blade.

This does not happen with flint and obsidian. Don't know why, but I can skin critters like otters and hogs with no problems.

Deer are no problems anyway.

Also, I'm one of them thar primitive nuts. I sometimes just like the basics, yeh it might be harder, but that's the fun.

For me, it's not my destination, but how I get there.

Tony uk
08-10-2007, 12:39 PM
I never go very far from people so if i was in that situation i probily would just go back home :)

ryaninmichigan
08-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Ryan, have you ever gutted and skinned a hog? It is a nasty greasy chore, metal bladed knives need to be constantly dipped in hot water as the grease puts a film on the metal blade.

This does not happen with flint and obsidian. Don't know why, but I can skin critters like otters and hogs with no problems.

Deer are no problems anyway.

Also, I'm one of them thar primitive nuts. I sometimes just like the basics, yeh it might be harder, but that's the fun.

For me, it's not my destination, but how I get there.

Ya I have skinned a hog. Not like a whitetail for sure. I just don't see me prefering a stone over a good fillet knife..........

FVR
08-10-2007, 08:28 PM
To each his own.

carcajou garou
08-13-2007, 07:08 PM
wareagle69, there is so much shattered rocks, quartz, etc.. in northern Ontario's Cambrian shield that semi decent edges are laying around for the shaping. Making a Hoko knife or a palm hand ax would be easy enough, I just recently made one for a young lady who posed the same question and shaped/shaved a feather stick for her. You once posted that nature provides all that we need, pretty much so but have a spare(s) as Sarge47 is prudent. Indeed knowledge is KING but being prepared is the ACE in the hole. Good thoughts:D

spiritman
08-15-2007, 12:08 AM
Saru Mo Ki Kara Ochiru

I like your signature

nohero
08-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Have two Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie knives with San Mai steel that I have used for over 20 years. Don't believe it is possible to break one. Thet will flex 40 degress and go back to true. Not cheap but you pay for what you get. Check out the Cold Steel video. Keep one in the trunk of my wife's car, the other in my main kit in mine. Carry a folding Gerber lockback at all times (goes in my pocket when I put on my pants along with my NAA .22 lr Mini-revolver) Don't go any place without either of these. The main kit also has a small sheath knife, another lockback, a Leatherman Wave tool, and a Swiss Army knife. Also includes a small diamond hone and ceramic and metal crock sticks. I think a large knife (or small axe or hatchet) is probably your most important tool in a wilderness survival situation. For me the Trailmaster works as well as a small camp axe for anything up to and including small trees and is more versatile. The nylon sheath has a pocket on the front for the Swiss Army knife and a strech nylon pouch on the back for a small hacksaw blade, a flat spear point, and flat harpoon head. I would rather plan ahead than have tp improvise. Have enough stress in my life already.

Panther
08-18-2007, 04:35 PM

Likewise.

After roughing it...having luxury items at your disposal is like staying in a Holiday Inn.

Lamewolf
01-30-2014, 12:02 PM
Simple, the world we live in is a throw away world - I could find enough junk to make another knife or whatever even if I had to build a field expedient forge to do it with ! Even a sharp piece of glass can be used as a knife.....

hunter63
01-30-2014, 12:08 PM
Hacksaw blade or pallet strapping, with edge sharpened on pavement.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-knife-out-of-an-old-hacksaw-blade/

1stimestar
01-30-2014, 02:36 PM
Necroposts.

natertot
01-30-2014, 06:40 PM
Simple, the world we live in is a throw away world - I could find enough junk to make another knife or whatever even if I had to build a field expedient forge to do it with ! Even a sharp piece of glass can be used as a knife.....

Need to change your name to Lazarus, you raised up a dead thread!

Rangefinder
01-31-2014, 12:41 AM
9796Wouldn't be the first time... I dressed out a good sized Muley doe with this "knife". I did the basic stupid--watered a bush and wasn't paying attention when my knife slid off my belt. I buttoned and buckled, and moved out. Several hours and miles later, I dropped my doe. Guess what--no knife. Realized in an instant where I would find it, but wasn't excited about back-tracking so far before I could even start dressing.BUT, plenty of chert in the area, found a chunk to work, and chipped a quick edge. It doesn't look like much, but for a 10 minute napping job it made quick work of that doe. I Saved it all these years simply because of that.

Kudos
01-31-2014, 06:28 AM
Dammit, if I suddenly found myself without a Knife I suppose I'd have to wait until Walmart opened. That would be a real inconvenience ....LOL :)

Rick
01-31-2014, 07:56 AM
I've mentioned this a couple of times before but for the sake of the new folks....I saw a BBC documentary a few years back about flint and chirt knives compared to modern day. Turns out a flint knife can achieve a cutting edge thickness of 3 microns across. A modern scalpel is 7 microns.

Batch
02-02-2014, 02:02 PM

always be prepared

Why is it with posts like these where someone challenges everyone to a hypothetical, that so many post that it couldn't happen to them because they are uber prepared? The question is what would those people who rely on their knives as the one tool to survive suddenly found themselves without one in a, I would assume wilderness survival situation.

These threads go something like this:

No knives allowed. I would have a knife! Yeah, but lets say that circumstances put you into a situation where you didn't have a knife. I would have a knife!!! Ok, but, the thread says "No knives allowed". I would use the prison shank I sewed into my leg. I am never without my knife and don't want to participate in you scenario but oddly feel compelled to post in the thread anyways. Also you are stupid for not having a knife in this thread!!!!

I live in an area where suitable stones do not naturally exist. There are discards of old settlements. But, assuming we are talking about not finding steel or glass to use, I would have to go with what the native Tequesta and Calloosa Indians used bone, shell, and sharp teeth.

I carry a two blade Case XX trapper, a Spyderco Waved Endura, a Leatherman Super Tool and a 2 blade with scissor grooming tool EDC. You could probably improvise a cutting edge on a credit or rewards card (I use a credit card in a pinch to apply vinyl store graphics to windows and signs. The transfer tape, with is a low tack masking tape, quickly puts a sharp edge on the card that I have cut myself with before. We have cellphones and watches with glass on them and the phone may have been rendered useless in an accident. Metal belt buckles, keys and other things that might be on our key rings.

Either way preparedness isn't a reliance on tool fixation. Miyamoto Musashi defeated Sasaki Kojirō using various tactics. He was late which Sasaki thought was very disrespectful and became angry about. But, by being late Musashi had allowed the sun to sink behind him. This put the sun into Sasaki's eyes after his first arrogant attack. Musashi didn't get out of the boat with his sword. But, with a sharpened wooden oar. This apparent unarmed state probably made Sasaki overconfident. Allowing Musashi to draw him into an unguarded position and killed him quickly with the oar. Musashi had also calculated the tide so that it carried him away from the island and Sasaki's angry friends.

Or as was posted earlier a statement to the arrogant thought that this can not happen to me. Saru Mo Ki Kara Ochiru! Even monkeys fall from trees! :yawnb: