PDA

View Full Version : What is best for setting snares?

Weaponbb7
07-11-2008, 02:58 PM
I am an amateur in wilderness survival, i have done many backpacking trips and had a great teacher who got me into primitive technology. now i have read extensively about snares. but not one guide says specifically what cordage, wire, or whatever is good for making snares. I am shooting for sizes from tree squirrel to beaver and almost anything in between. thank you in advance.

WeaponBB7

Beo
07-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Wire works great, that's what i use.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s6/soulangel200/noobkitty.jpg
Seriously though I did a post on trapping and snares a while back, do a search and it'll pop up.
Beo,

trax
07-11-2008, 03:04 PM
You might want to just run a search on some of the threads here. Plenty's been written on it, already and folks get a little antsy about repeating themselves, repeating themselves.

Snaring squirrels and beavers are two different sets of circumstances entirely and you're probably better off using traps for beaver, but if you go to a local or area outfitter, if there's one available, they should have a full range of snare wire products available and be able to set you up. One of the cheapest ways to eat in the wild is to buy yourself one of those little rolls of thin brass wire they have for snares and you can snare squirrels, rabbits, ptarmigan, grouse, woodchucks, .....I've been using that stuff since I was 9-10 years old and I don't go out into the bush without a roll. You can fit a whole roll in your shirt pocket.

Beo
07-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Snares are anchored cable nooses set to catch wild animals such as foxes, rabbits and coyotes. They are also widely used by subsistence and commercial hunters for bushmeat consumption and trade in African forest regions.
Snares are one of the simplest and are claimed to be one of the most effective traps. Made of galvanized aircraft cable, they are cheap to produce and easy to set in large numbers. A snare traps an animal around the neck or the body and tightens around the animal, restraining it. They are widely criticised by animal welfare groups for their alleged cruelty. UK users of snares accept that over 40% of animals caught in some environments will be non-target animals. While in the USA non-target catches reported by users of snares in Michigan are just over 10%. Some scientists believe that in animals which are trapped, pressure necrosis may have caused hidden injury to the animal, and that trapped animals should be taken to a vet rather than released. However, modifications and regulations now provide working snares that have relaxing locks that do not cinch down, break-away locks that open up after 250 pounds of pressure are exacted (allowing large dogs, calves and deer to remain unharmed), deer stops which prevent the snare from closing down so far as to catch a deer's leg, and live-catch stops that prevent the snare from closing to a point that chokes an animal of a certain size. Powered snares use the option of a spring to deposit the snare on an animal's leg or neck through the triggering of a spring mechanism.
Here ya go hope this helps.
Beo,

Beo
07-11-2008, 03:09 PM
This may be what your for, and is a little better info on how to do it.
Tie a slipknot. You can tie a slipknot by folding a long piece of string, wire, rope, vine or other suitable material into two sections. One side should be several feet long. The second side should be several inches long.

Pull the folded end of the string up several inches so that it forms a loop underneath two other loops.

String the left loop through the right loop and pull tight. Make sure to keep a noose-like end to the knot. The end of the knot should be large enough to slip a string through.

Slide the long end of the string through the end of the knot.

Set your snare. Snares are best for catching small animals such as squirrels or rabbits, so make sure to set the snare small so it will catch around the animal's neck, rather than its body.

Hope this helps
Beo,

trax
07-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Who the heck is that gonna help? Thank you Mr Webster, but.... He just wants to know what guage wire to use. Galvanized steel indeed, pumpkin. It's fairly simple big animal--big snare, small animal--small snare, most small animals--cheap brass snare works fine, water animal (muskrat, otter, beaver)--traps work better than snares.

If you have to, for survival purposes, you can make snares out of fishing line, or even natural cordage (now there's something we could probably all go out and practice, I know I could)

OK OK, you posted that last one while I was still typing, so you're helpful, I take it back

Beo
07-11-2008, 03:18 PM
That can be done with wire too bro, pumpkin boy.
I'd use wire for a snare, about as big around as a a chain link fence, maybe 10guage wire.

trax
07-11-2008, 03:29 PM
I missed something 10 guage wire for what?

Beo
07-11-2008, 03:31 PM
For making snares.

trax
07-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Yeah duuuuhhh, I didn't think you'd really switched the thread up to talk about installing fences, snares for what critters were you referring to bro?

Beo
07-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Rabbit & squirrel all I ever snare for. Trap for the beaver around here shhhh don't tell anyone I said that though.

trax
07-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Oh OK, I wouldn't use snares that big for those little fellas unless I was stuck, but hey...new guy that started this...what's his name again? You can even snare moose and deer if you use a big enough snare and do it right, and you know...don't get busted. I know Indians up north that have done it, never have myself.

Gray Wolf
07-11-2008, 04:49 PM
This works for rabbits...

trax
07-11-2008, 05:01 PM
yeahhh....400 POUND KILLER RABBITS FROM HELL!!

Hey Weaponbb7, apologies for forgetting your name earlier, hope Beo and I were some help amidst all our fraternal bickering.

Pict
07-11-2008, 06:05 PM
If you're interested in videos look up Northernpike56 on youtube. He´s a Canadian guy who has lots of rabbit snaring videos. Mac

TrappinGal
07-11-2008, 07:11 PM
this may help you.

http://www.cathrynscorne.proboards88.com/index.cgi?board=snaring

TrappinGal
07-11-2008, 07:12 PM
this is more specific.

http://www.cathrynscorne.proboards88.com/index.cgi?board=snaring&action=display&thread=7259

Rick
07-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Jeeez. Are you gonna beat 'em to death or just snare them? 24 guage brass, stainless or copper wire. 26 will also work. Do as Trax suggests, do a search on snares and you get a ton of posts.

Anchors away there GW.

TrappinGal
07-11-2008, 07:26 PM
this beaver was snared in Wyoming by my bf while i was out there trapping with him last fall.

he uses #9 wire.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff160/WYbyCat/IMG_0760.jpg

Rick
07-11-2008, 07:32 PM
I guess I should have added...for squirrels and rabbits.

yukon55
07-12-2008, 02:09 AM
well i am new at this but. i use floral wire for making snares it works good for me at least

crashdive123
07-12-2008, 06:42 AM
Hadn't heard of using floral wire before. Hmmmm. How about trapping your way on over to the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself.

Rick
07-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a green colored steel wire? I think it rusts. Other than that, it should work just fine. It's about 22 gauge if it's the stuff I'm thinking of.

Gray Wolf
07-29-2008, 01:07 AM
There has been many questions or statements about using snares or 22 rifles and even traps to catch and use rabbits as meat to survive by noobs. Understand that you need more types of meat in your diet to survive.
Because people who eat only muscle-meats tend to get into a state of "rabbit-starvation", where they can't process the protein they eat because they don't have enough of the raw animal fats which are needed for the absorption of protein.This is apparently what happened to many American settlers who ate only the muscle-meat from lean animals such as horses and rabbits.