PDA

View Full Version : textured vegeteable protein(tvp)

wareagle69
08-06-2007, 07:27 PM
as we all know who have eaten this product it really tastes like sh**.
does anyone know how to make it taste better. for those who do not n\know what tvp is. dehydrated protein is really is a wonderful product an excellent way to supplement when fresh meat is not available, but the taste leaves something to be desired. i usually have to soak it in spag sauce or stroganoff overnight but the flavor still permeates

always be prepared

owl_girl
08-06-2007, 08:06 PM
There are other natural ways to get protein. Like Quinoa and Ezekiel bread.

donny h
08-06-2007, 08:36 PM
I eat soybeans in many forms, most are good, a few are not, TVP is not.

At this point, I only use TVP in chili, it does benefit from a long simmer in a strong flavored sauce. It works good in chili, no grease like ground beef.

Sarge47
08-06-2007, 08:39 PM
I eat soybeans in many forms, most are good, a few are not, TVP is not.

At this point, I only use TVP in chili, it does benefit from a long simmer in a strong flavored sauce. It works good in chili, no grease like ground beef.

And now you're gonna try and tell me "grease" is bad, right?:rolleyes:

HOP
08-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Grease is good it just don't keep well in dehydrated or freeze dried form. I think TVP isgreat in the high priced korean Ramen.

donny h
08-07-2007, 05:17 AM
And now you're gonna try and tell me "grease" is bad, right?

In my chili, yes, grease from cheap ground beef is bad, it just makes it acidic and nasty. I feel the same way about cheap grease in my lasagna and spaghetti sauce. I make my chili with chicken, steak, or tvp. It's just a personal preference, I'm not trying to tell anyone anything except for how to cook with tvp.

Wareagle, are you using the granular form of tvp, or the nuggets? I've had better luck with the granular stuff, I can never get the nuggets to rehydrate properly which makes the texture a little off.

nell67
08-07-2007, 03:11 PM
I have never tried tvp,doesnt sound very palatable to me but would be willing to try it before I say that for sure,where do you buy it at?

wareagle69
08-07-2007, 04:59 PM
in the granular form donny h

nell 67 we have a place in ontario called the bulk barn loaded with every form of dehydrated food that you could possibly think of, for a survivalist it is the rolls royce of shopping

wareagle69
08-07-2007, 08:01 PM
There are other natural ways to get protein. Like Quinoa and Ezekiel bread.

never heard of the stuff. how or where to find please.

owl_girl
08-07-2007, 08:57 PM
never heard of the stuff. how or where to find please.

Ezekiel bread you can get at most grocery stores, it’s a brand of sprout bread and it naturally has whole protein but there are other brands you can get to.
Quinoa ( pronounced KEEN-wah ) you can get at health food stores.
http://www.banlieusardises.com/delices/img/quinoa.jpg
Here is a website that has a recipe. Though I haven’t tried the recipe out my self.
http://www.justhungry.com/quinoa-kedgeree

wareagle69
08-08-2007, 01:12 PM
okay so how do they taste?

owl_girl
08-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Quinoa is pretty neutral, it taste like what ever you cook with it, and sprout bread taste like whole grain bread.