PDA

View Full Version : Making Stuff Books

ArmedBear1746
07-07-2008, 12:00 AM
i'm sure 95% of you people already know about these, i'm just throwing this out there for the other 5%...

Foxfire books are GREAT for learning the old-timer ways of doing things..

Teotwawki
07-07-2008, 06:37 AM
We've got a complete set of the foxfire series! Highly recommend them.

RangerXanatos
07-07-2008, 01:23 PM
I actually had an old relative that was in Foxfire 2: "Maude Shope." I forget exactly how I'm related to her. I think she was my Great Grandma's aunt. They say her mule that she rode lived to be over 40!

Daniel

Gray Wolf
07-07-2008, 10:57 PM
They're an outstanding set of books, well worth the investment.

Rick
07-07-2008, 11:09 PM
And we've mentioned soooooo many times. Mother Earth News.

Gray Wolf
07-07-2008, 11:45 PM
And we've mentioned soooooo many times.

Is this an example of someone redundant about their redundancy. :rolleyes:

Rick
07-08-2008, 07:20 AM
Yes. A redundant example I might add.

Rokas
07-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Oh... I wish to have at least 1 book of this author... That's bad that in Lithuania there is no such books about survival, camping, wood crafting and etc. like these... Fortunately I found this forum and great people which, I think, could help me if I need. :)

crashdive123
07-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Rokas - I know that you said you were under 18 in one of your posts, and I don't know about shipping to your part of the world, but you could see if you can get any of them on-line. Here's an example at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=foxfire+books

Rokas
07-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Crashdrive123 what book you would offer to me? I'm interested in all survival and ancient skills so it would be great if that book would be useful in many things... I hope you'll understand my posts... :D It also would be great if that book could help me to survive in middle latitudes and help identify edible plants and so on in my area...

Ole WV Coot
07-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Last time I looked at and read a Foxfire I found them to be very accurate and interesting since I grew up and now live again in Appalachia.

bulrush
07-09-2008, 02:00 PM
I read 3 volumes last fall and found them all interesting. I believe they have 7 volumes now.

crashdive123
07-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Rokas - can't help you with which one - it's been many years since I've read any, and don't have any on hand. Maybe somebody else with some in their collection can help.

Gray Wolf
07-09-2008, 08:15 PM
I read 3 volumes last fall and found them all interesting. I believe they have 7 volumes now.

I think they're up to 11 now, but said that was it, noooo more.
I liked the first 5.

skunkkiller
07-10-2008, 10:53 AM
backwoodsmen mag . is a good place to learn woods crafts .I believe it is out of texas been reading sinse 87 have stake 3 ft high love reading them over and over.

ArmedBear1746
07-10-2008, 07:05 PM
backwoodsmen mag . is a good place to learn woods crafts .I believe it is out of texas been reading sinse 87 have stake 3 ft high love reading them over and over.

Yeah, Back Woodsmen mag is a good one. I think they also publish (looks very similar) another magazine called "Backwoods Home". It's equally great.

wareagle69
07-12-2008, 08:50 AM
yup i read mother earth news, primitive ways the backwoodsman, and fish and fur, all great books, i forgot all about foxfire boks though will have to check my used books stores around here.

Rokas
07-14-2008, 03:09 PM
"I finally made an improvement in finding books that could help me to survive in Lithuania and in middle latitudes... I found three tomes of medical wild plants in Lithuania, but I can't find anywhere books of wild edibles so I'll keep looking for them. I hope I'll succeed.
Rokas

Rick
07-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Rokas,

I'll bet some of the folks in the country side know which plants are edible. If there is a university near you, you might contact their biology or agriculture dept. Does the Elderate, Municipality or County have an agriculture agency? They might be able to assist.

Here in the States, each county has an agriculture extension agent that is usually affiliated with a university. They help with things like identifying plant diseases or insects as well as home preserving of foods, etc. If you have something similar in Lithuania, perhaps they can help.

Finally, you might try your library.

Gray Wolf
07-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Rick's right, and after you gather all that information for your Country, write a book!

canid
07-15-2008, 12:24 AM
rick; don't forget the anthropology department. the scope of their knowledge may not run as deep as that of the people they study but sometimes they have at least a place to start on subjects that are lost even to the culture in question.

Rokas
07-15-2008, 02:21 AM
Well I don't know about book, but near me is Lithuanian Agriculture University where my father works... I asked him about that and he told me that he will search in that library or in books funds. P.S. I found these medical plants books in library...

Atomic
08-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Google Books (http://books.google.com/books?q=foxfire&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wp) might help you guys out a little. From what I see several of these foxfire books have snippet or limited preview and might just give you a taste of what's inside. Alternatively you could find some similar books on related subjects. I've found some outdated free books on blacksmithing. (Not a blacksmith...)

canid
08-26-2008, 01:26 AM
great point. google books has helped me out countless times, just by having searchable experpts when i needed to cite a publication i didn't have a copy of.