PDA

View Full Version : How do you protect yourself from 2 legged snakes?

RangerXanatos
07-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Being young and niave, I used to want to go out into the woods with whatever I had on me even if it was just the clothes on my back. Now since I have a better understanding of how the world really is, there is no way that I go out without a DFWM (Don't Fiddle With Me) tool. Not meaning to advertise, I've been looking at this to carry out with me on hikes and camping trips. http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=269&category=Revolver Just something that I can conceal so that I may not offend any sheeple, but big enough to protect myself or who else may be with me. Any thoughts???

Also, please add in anything else you may think we should know/do to protect ourselves while out in the wilderness such as:

1) Never go alone
2) Never turn your back to strangers
3) Be aware of your surroundings
4) ...

Daniel

Rick
07-03-2008, 05:37 PM
If your state offers a CCW permit apply for one if you don't already have it. I carry a .45, usually concealed, and I follow all the state or park rules wherever I'm hiking. I've carried both concealed and open, which Indiana allows. Open is much more comfortable for me but concealed obviously doesn't raise as many eyebrows.

Ole WV Coot
07-03-2008, 05:38 PM
I don't know your age or anything else but a word of advice, Forget the Gun. The be aware and don't go alone make sense. NE GA isn't bad in most places. Lots of good folks but if you show you are aware and aren't alone know the area. By knowing the area I mean the places where ATVs meet to party and private property. Walking, a good walking staff each and a little practice should buy you enough time, if you are young enough and healthy to outrun most nasty ole men like me. But don't carry a gun it's impossible to bring the slug back after you pull the trigger. That's a heavy load to carry even if it's legal. That's just my opinion and I've been on both ends of one.

crashdive123
07-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Daniel - I own a few Taurus handguns (not the model you've listed) and like them. Georgia does have a CCW permit (runs about $50 for 5 years if I remember right). If you're going to carry, make sure that you receive training and that you practice. Know the laws as well - they vary from state to state.

RangerXanatos
07-03-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm 22 and in better health than all of the people that I hang out with, so given the chance, I'm pretty sure that I could get away from most others. But there's always those few exceptions. Like I posted earlier, going out never bothered me, but then the case with Meredith Emerson was really got me to thinking. For those of you who don't remember: http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/01/08/georgia.hiker/index.html She was a young (24) experienced hiker who had been taking martial arts for about a year untill she met her demise by a 61 year old Sicko. If it would have been a fair fight, I would've put my money on Meredith. But it wasn't a fair fight, and I don't expect any other Sickos to fight fair. I completely see what you're saying Coot. The chances of me ever being confronted are slim, and then I should be able to defend myself and others accordingly if the need ever arises. If a gun ever has to be withdrawn, it speaks for itself and it may not need to be fired. Violence should always be the last resort, but if I have to choose between being judged by 12 or being carried by 6, well you get the idea.

I do plan on getting a CCW. Where I live borders the South Carolina line, inwhich South Carolina does not honor Georgia's CCW license. It also just so happens that the nicer trails and scenic views are right across the border into South Carolina. :mad: But I believe that being caught with it would just be a misdemeanor. Better safe than sorry. :rolleyes:

I was wanting this to be a group effort as well. Something for everyone to add onto. Not that it has to have any violent material such as fighting in any way, shape, or form. I'm talking about things we can do so that violence can be avoided on our part, and theirs. Just some simple precautionary acts to take while out and about, like on my numbered list. :)

Daniel

Ole WV Coot
07-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Good Luck, it's best to be prepared and you know the area. What you say makes sense. I have carried concealed for over 40yrs so I may be telling you something you know more about than me. I wouldn't count on showing a gun to get you out of trouble. If you pull it you use it. Hesitation will get you killed. Watch the man's hands and body and forget about the eye contact to judge what's coming. A man decent with a knife will have you before you ever see it, usually blade up along the forearm. Maintain your personal safety distance and don't ever forget the good ole walking staff is a very good weapon for defense or offense. I use a walking stick myself. Sounds like you have it together more than I did at your age, you can be alert without being uncomfortable.

Teotwawki
07-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Well... where we go out there are no 2 legged snakes. We don't do state / national park hikes - generally. In fact, where we go we have never encountered another human being.

We do carry some pretty potent bear spray though! Got a tiny drop on my finger once and it ended up somehow on my face and in an eye and I think a good dose of the stuff would slow down just about anything on two legs.

I'd be more worried about the 2 legged snakes in the city than in the wilderness, anyway.

awfoxden
07-03-2008, 11:51 PM
I'd be more worried about the 2 legged snakes in the city than in the wilderness, anyway.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this statement. i typically leave the bigger stuff at home or in the car. when i hit the field it's typically the trusty browning buckmark 22 pistol on the side. acurate and use it frequently for small game hunting oportunities that present themselves and its more acurate for head shots than most of my larger pieces. as far as self defense its not the best but it'll do in a pinch. 10 22cal bullets in the chest would slow anyone down and then you have a decent club already in the hand:)

Just saying that playing the odds the 22 will get far more use (and much more fun) on trail and typically be much easier and lighter to cary and still provide a level of protection.

Rick
07-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Ranger - We discussed that case when it occurred. Typically, in those situations, folks are jogging with their earbuds turned up and not really paying attention to their surroundings. I don't know if that was the situation in the case you cited but we've all seen folks do it. So it's a little out of context to compare that situation to being in the field where you WOULD be paying more attention to your surroundings and not be distracted by music in your ears.

I'm not just concerned about people problems but the off chance of encountering a dog pack or a rabid animal is also a concern. I've run into a dog pack in the past and it was an uncomfortable encounter. Things worked out but it could have been a much worse experience if the Alpha had been more aggressive.

My son also had the experience of a couple of guys trying to steal his gear in the middle of the night. So we take some precautions when we are out.

Ole WV Coot
07-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Rick makes a good point with the dogs. We have a few and coyotes also. I don't really worry for myself, but I have a little beagle that wouldn't have a chance. I don't like to shoot unless I am forced but if the gun comes out it goes bang. The dogs cull out the weak and if the pack leader doesn't make the grade the next in line takes care of him. You've got some nice snakes in GA I would be watching for them. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse but a walking staff do work wonders on all critters.

ryaninmichigan
07-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Coyotes are of little worry. They are oportunity killers. A healthy yote will never attack a grown man. To big. I carry in bear country. Genrally where I go I do not see others. If I do I see them well beforre they see me. I agree also brandishing a weapon will 90% of the time get you killed. If I pull my weapon it is cause I am going to use it.

wareagle69
07-04-2008, 04:50 PM
i pulled my weapon last night worked well for me. on a serious note though i have a huge problem with allot of the schools that teach self defence i do not see it as being practical at all some just keep giving you belts cuz you show up and pay for a certain amount of time others teach competition arts other arts are just completely usseless, i teach my wife very quick and effective moves that can take out some one of my size, she has told people even friends to respect her distance to not get to close cold paranoid maybe but nobody mucks with her...

RangerXanatos
07-04-2008, 05:48 PM
I completely agree wareagle. 'Fake Reverse Army Of One Ninja Beating Thousands Of Pirates Jumping Backwards Roundhouse Kicks' don't mean a thing unless you can use them, and when would that be? At competitions?... Hit quickly, Hit hard, and Hit the road.

Daniel

Ole WV Coot
07-04-2008, 08:25 PM
I completely agree wareagle. 'Fake Reverse Army Of One Ninja Beating Thousands Of Pirates Jumping Backwards Roundhouse Kicks' don't mean a thing unless you can use them, and when would that be? At competitions?... Hit quickly, Hit hard, and Hit the road.

Daniel

Gentlemen, spending years and lots of $$ won't teach you a thing unless you study judo and learn to fall. Belts, ranks etc are bought at the strip mall Kung Fu store. You can be taught decent self defense in a couple of weeks. It ain't fancy and you don't get a pretty belt or learn to dance to a particular kanta. It ain't pretty, you probably will get thrown out of the bar or locked up but you'll be the winner. Vital spots, striking points you need to learn. Don't hit a man with your fist, you could break it. I don't smoke but those extra heavy ashtrays and beer bottles, glasses, ques, balls I could go on all night. Spending all that money learning sport anything will screw up your mindset, cause you to be fair, whatever that means and you get carried away. The man that wants a piece of you has usually been there before. He don't know anything fancy, just how to clean your clock and forget causing him "pain & discomfort" he's had worse. Now I guess I will shut up. I tried the fair stuff at 13 and ain't tried it since.:rolleyes:

RangerXanatos
07-04-2008, 08:51 PM
I've heard of Judo but I've never seen it. I'll have to YouTube when I have a decent connection. I have seen Krav Maga before and I believe that would be very effective as well. But no one around here teaches it. I'm sure that I could find Judo instructors closer to here.

crashdive123
07-04-2008, 09:06 PM
I've heard of Judo but I've never seen it. I'll have to YouTube when I have a decent connection. I have seen Krav Maga before and I believe that would be very effective as well. But no one around here teaches it. I'm sure that I could find Judo instructors closer to here.

Judo is good and all, but remember --- if you are close enough to throw your opponent (attacker), you are close enough to get your a$$ handed to you.

Ole WV Coot
07-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Guess what I said about judo was taken wrong. I sat around in a circle for weeks just learning how to fall in every direction. What I meant was that was the only good part of the whole darn class. In other words it ain't worth much. I don't believe in ground fighting, grappling, striking with a closed fist. I prefer open hand, one or two knuckle, knife hand, thumb, foot and above all a walking stick or cane. I am slower and don't kick above waist level so I limit myself to a better weapon, a walking stick, cane if you expect to disarm or control, I don't. In 10sec I plan on walking away. At my age I can carry a walking stick or cane anywhere and it is what it looks like. I took single stick & knife years ago, still carry my Beretta 45, SOG Flash II where legal but still have the ole walking stick I prefer. Anyone can pull a trigger and if I maintain my personal space a knife really doesn't bother me, few people know how to use one anyway, just the fear factor.

tacmedic
07-05-2008, 10:52 AM
The most important lesson I ever learned in martial arts class is 360 degrees of awareness at all times. This has saved me more than once.

Ole WV Coot
07-05-2008, 12:57 PM
The most important lesson I ever learned in martial arts class is 360 degrees of awareness at all times. This has saved me more than once.

I kinda like the circle and line concept and you are right about being aware at all times. The only time I ever got it bad was waiting in line for a cup of coffee and it was an obvious stupid mistake on my part. Circle the line attack and direct to a circular attack. That was taught over 40yrs ago, don't know if it is even mentioned now. Back then the WWII combat was still taught. It's a crazy world now. When I worked in the cities I knew everything that moved or didn't on that block. I have been working on not being so quick to judge and act but habits are hard to break.:D

bulrush
07-07-2008, 02:06 PM
No one has mentioned yet that Mr. Bad Guy comes in packs of 3-5. All the confrontations I've had have had 3-5 people in them. There's a reason they come in packs, they don't have enough courage to go 1 one 1.

So what do you do in that situation where you are outnumbered?

Oh yeah, after seeing how many of them there were, I walked away, not wanting to be blamed for starting something. They followed me, and I headed for a very public place with lots of people, looking for the police.

crashdive123
07-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Avoid it whenever possible. If that is not an option, use overwhelming, horrific force to defeat it and make any survivors run away screaming like a little school girl. (No offense meant to the little school girls out there)

Ole WV Coot
07-07-2008, 11:29 PM
No one has mentioned yet that Mr. Bad Guy comes in packs of 3-5. All the confrontations I've had have had 3-5 people in them. There's a reason they come in packs, they don't have enough courage to go 1 one 1.

So what do you do in that situation where you are outnumbered?

Oh yeah, after seeing how many of them there were, I walked away, not wanting to be blamed for starting something. They followed me, and I headed for a very public place with lots of people, looking for the police.

If you have any sense at all you beat feet. If they are young you kill one if you can't get clear. My 45 holds enough to maybe get one out of five, at my advanced age and infirmities I may be shaking too hard to hit anything and it ain't courage they lack they are smart. Darn good odds in their favor. I am a little long in the tooth now, but I didn't spend the last 45yrs knitting mittens and I ain't too stupid to back down. I lean on my cane and give my have pity on me look:rolleyes:

trax
07-08-2008, 12:04 PM
I almost never run into other humans where I go hunting and camping. The times that it's happened it's been people on their way to their traplines who stopped because they saw the campfire and I usually sit and have coffee with them or offer them something to eat and we talk about things like river conditions or where one of us spotted moose etc. No threat. Lucky me, I guess.

Beo
07-08-2008, 12:08 PM
At home I protect my self in phases, phase 1. ADT Alarm on the doors and windows and two motion detectors. Phase 2. Two big azz dogs prowling around the house at night. Phase 3. Gun and knife in my night stand, several more in closet.
In the woods, not to many people where we trek, most people stick to well used trails and we tend to make our own trails, but I always have my knife and hawk on me and more than likely my flintlock.

Hey OWV Coot... Or you can just get the drop on them and say: "Squeel like a pig boy!!!! Wheeeeeeeeeee Wheeeeeeeeeee Wheeeeeeeee!!!"

Rick
07-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Note to self: Take wire cutters to Beo's house, steak for dogs and don't bother with the bedroom. Just take the stuff in the living room.

Ole WV Coot
07-08-2008, 04:21 PM
At home I protect my self in phases, phase 1. ADT Alarm on the doors and windows and two motion detectors. Phase 2. Two big azz dogs prowling around the house at night. Phase 3. Gun and knife in my night stand, several more in closet.
In the woods, not to many people where we trek, most people stick to well used trails and we tend to make our own trails, but I always have my knife and hawk on me and more than likely my flintlock.

Hey OWV Coot... Or you can just get the drop on them and say: "Squeel like a pig boy!!!! Wheeeeeeeeeee Wheeeeeeeeeee Wheeeeeeeee!!!"

I never thought about that I use grease on the doorknobs 2. 30lb Attack Beagle known for his vicious leg hold. 3. pit trap(works every time and isn't expected in the hallway) 3. Give wife gun 4. Bail out window unlocked at all times 5. Drive truck to closest neighbors(too old and frail to run) 6. Hide under neighbor's bed until it's safe. Works great but I am tough enough for the humiliation. Bet you didn't think us Rednecks could plan ahead.:D

Rick
07-08-2008, 06:38 PM
I just have to ask...have you ever woke up in the morning after a night out with the boys to find grease in your hand, a trap on your ankle and a smiling beagle?

Ole WV Coot
07-08-2008, 10:43 PM
That was mean, TRUE but still mean. I shall retire to my corner now.

RobertRogers
07-09-2008, 12:28 PM
If you are a firearm newbie you pose more danger to yourself carrying one than to any potential attacker.

Rick
07-09-2008, 02:17 PM
And why is that? Newbies can practice, go to the range, kill you just as dead.

crashdive123
07-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Wouldn't want to get shot by a Newbie. That's just, well just......embarassing.

Ole WV Coot
07-09-2008, 03:28 PM
If you are a firearm newbie you pose more danger to yourself carrying one than to any potential attacker.

I don't worry so much about their hide as mine. I agree they are a danger to themselves but any dummy can pull a trigger and I don't want to be the dummy in front of them. I guess most of us learned from our Dad or some family member how to handle a gun. If you screwed up you were corrected severely. I know of 4 generations so far in my family, boys & girls that all were taught by their fathers.

commoguy
07-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Ranger - We discussed that case when it occurred. Typically, in those situations, folks are jogging with their earbuds turned up and not really paying attention to their surroundings. I don't know if that was the situation in the case you cited but we've all seen folks do it. So it's a little out of context to compare that situation to being in the field where you WOULD be paying more attention to your surroundings and not be distracted by music in your ears.

I'm not just concerned about people problems but the off chance of encountering a dog pack or a rabid animal is also a concern. I've run into a dog pack in the past and it was an uncomfortable encounter. Things worked out but it could have been a much worse experience if the Alpha had been more aggressive.

My son also had the experience of a couple of guys trying to steal his gear in the middle of the night. So we take some precautions when we are out.

well when i go jog with my wife i usually wear my army pt shirt. its reflective so cars can see me and her it also broadcasts im not an ordinary citizen. as for other protection when im not out doing the exercising thing im carrying and i sleep with my gun under my pillow.

Rick
07-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Frankly, the shirt doesn't mean anything to me. I wouldn't be phased one way or the other by it. I'm not slamming you just don't be over confident that the shirt displays anything preventative. The carrying, of course, is a different story.

ryaninmichigan
07-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Frankly, the shirt doesn't mean anything to me. I wouldn't be phased one way or the other by it. I'm not slamming you just don't be over confident that the shirt displays anything preventative. The carrying, of course, is a different story.

agreed. army surplus huh? I am 6'4 240 can run like its cool and did my stint. If you start trouble with me. I asume you know what you are doing and will react acordily (sp)?

Ole WV Coot
07-11-2008, 11:33 PM
agreed. army surplus huh? I am 6'4 240 can run like its cool and did my stint. If you start trouble with me. I asume you know what you are doing and will react acordily (sp)?

Last time I thought I was tough my rear end looked like 20lb of raw hamburger. I wouldn't get overconfident. Remember an old fart drunk in a bar in Baltimore waiving an old owl head S&W .32 around and a guy about your size did the hero bit and took the old man's gun, anything a kid could do. As he was patting himself on the back the old drunk pulled a 1911 Colt and did a quick drill, 2 heart one head. Personally a glow in the dark shirt would make a good target. I don't jog, only weigh 210 and am a coward. Cowards hide and drop you as you go by. When I played with guns for keeps I wanted to be 5' and 120lbs and wished I could hide in the shadow of a clothesline. It gets tough the older you get being forced to prove how tough you are. Find that old country song by Bobby Bare, (THE WINNER) and listen to the sage advice.:eek:

crashdive123
07-12-2008, 12:50 PM
My goodness. Is everybody here 6'4" and above? (as he stands on his toes)

commoguy
07-12-2008, 01:31 PM

no its not army surplus im in the army actually doing my second tour across the pond. i look at the shirt much like the brinks home security signs people put in their fronts lawns it will deter most people but the determined. im in a smaller suburb of houston so crime is relatively low. i also sport the crew cut hair do or completely buzzed head look. im 5'8 200lbs so again most dont like to question me when i am angered. the glow in the dark shirt may make me stick out but it works as both an advantage and disadvantage. the positive to the shirt is that i do sticking out makes me noticeable(sp) to on lookers. im not trying to come across as a tough guy but i can take care of myself.

Ole WV Coot
07-12-2008, 02:04 PM
My goodness. Is everybody here 6'4" and above? (as he stands on his toes)

I finally got down to 5' but didn't make the 120lbs. I am still at 210. There, does that make you feel better:D:D

crashdive123
07-12-2008, 02:20 PM
<Thinks about it. Then remembers Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
to fight... he'll just kill you.>

No.

Rick
07-12-2008, 06:25 PM
The old I get the shorter I get and the broader I get. I think my sidewalls are giving out. Either that or I'm slowly melting.

Ole WV Coot
07-12-2008, 10:54 PM
The old I get the shorter I get and the broader I get. I think my sidewalls are giving out. Either that or I'm slowly melting.

It's not getting wider & shorter I prefer vertically challenged. Before you say anything I got a handicapped parking sticker and an extra wide ramp installed at Wal-Mart and my attorney said I may have a case against the town because the curbs are way too high, but being around ladies with skirts is either a problem or I am a pervert, the jury is still out and my picture is still in the post office:rolleyes:

Jericho117
07-12-2008, 11:25 PM
I go to the woods by myself all the time, everyone in my area knows thats my territory. and if some reggin wants to mess with me ill put an arrow in his neck.

Rick
07-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Yeah, right. That's the trouble with you tough guy gun fighters. There's always someone around that's a bit tougher and a bit faster. By the way, never take your bow and arrow to a gun fight. That bit of advice is free.

Ole WV Coot
07-13-2008, 07:26 AM
Guess I am the only 5' 210lb coward around. I am a firm believer in back shooting, ambush, scared of guns & sharp pointy things. Above all I would never engage in violent behavior. Now this is the image I want to project to the world. I want to be seen as a sweet old man just going along swinging a walking stick with a smile. If I do come across this way I automatically have a huge advantage.

crashdive123
07-13-2008, 07:54 AM
I go to the woods by myself all the time, everyone in my area knows thats my territory. and if some reggin wants to mess with me ill put an arrow in his neck.

So let me see if I've got this right. At fifteen years old, you have your own turf (kind of like a gang with no members). Good luck with seeing 16 years old.

Ole WV Coot
07-13-2008, 08:52 AM

At your age you best have a long talk with someone and get your head on straight. You can think or do what you want but you don't have to prove anything to anyone but yourself. You will probably not bother and think I am kinda soft but most men my age learned easy or hard, it's up to you. Don't ever threaten to do harm to anyone. If you screw up at your age it's simple, no decent life. I usually BS a lot but seriously get your act together.:)

ryaninmichigan
07-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Last time I thought I was tough my rear end looked like 20lb of raw hamburger. I wouldn't get overconfident. Remember an old fart drunk in a bar in Baltimore waiving an old owl head S&W .32 around and a guy about your size did the hero bit and took the old man's gun, anything a kid could do. As he was patting himself on the back the old drunk pulled a 1911 Colt and did a quick drill, 2 heart one head. Personally a glow in the dark shirt would make a good target. I don't jog, only weigh 210 and am a coward. Cowards hide and drop you as you go by. When I played with guns for keeps I wanted to be 5' and 120lbs and wished I could hide in the shadow of a clothesline. It gets tough the older you get being forced to prove how tough you are. Find that old country song by Bobby Bare, (THE WINNER) and listen to the sage advice.:eek:

Never said I was trying to be a hero. I am only saying with my size and physical condition make me a less than desirable target. I grew up between two of the most dangerous citys in the US. I know how to use my eyes and head. I have learned to see bad things coming and I have developed a good sense when things are going south...

hickatheart
10-06-2008, 11:01 PM
A few thoughts for the OP: The best and most effective weapon is your brain. Maintain situational awareness. Think ahead, plan, prepare.

As with preparing your home and knowledge/skill base for hiccups in the economy to teotawki: 1) get the best quality gun (gun is a tool) you gan be comfortable and accurate with. Nobody ever got in a pickle wishing their gun was of smaller caliber or capacity, or was of lesser quality. 2) Practice and sharpen your skills. Practice drawing and dry firing, situational awareness, clearing a misfire, shooting at moving targets. 3) Expand your knowledge base. Discuss tactical scenarios, what would you do if......what are the legal ramifications of doing so......what are you legally obligated to do or not do?

There are other furums and books to be read dedicated to this topic.

Specifically to pistols: find a way to shoot a few. This will save $$$. A larger caliber is not always best, shot placement is important: even with a 45, and a direct hit to something vital, it can take 15 seconds for an individual to die. A lot can happen in that time, particularly if said individual is armed. There are only two or three locations to hit to accomplish instant incapacitation--they are small. A larger gun will be harder to conceal, yet will have less recoil issues: a very small 9mm may kick more than a large gun even of larger caliber. A smaller/less acurate/less powerful/more comfortably carried gun is better than a large gun left in the safe.

Stay armed starting with the brain, stay safe.

H@H

crashdive123
10-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Hickatheart - how 'bout heading over to the introduction section and tell us about yourself. Thanks.

Rick
10-07-2008, 08:27 AM
There are other furums and books to be read dedicated to this topic.

What!? There are other forums? Say it ain't so!

Ole WV Coot
10-10-2008, 05:35 PM
I have seriously considered creating a new martial art since there is a new one in every strip mall. I seriously trained for many years when I was younger. No uniforms, no dumb exercises, gonna call it Tai Heave. You train in a bar working your way up to six beers and a couple of shots. If accosted you use your shocking yell, BARF. Then you barf beer, booze, pickled eggs and sardines all over your attacker. He will stay down long enough for you to take his wallet and stagger out the door. Franchise applications are available for a small sum. Belts are extra in assorted colors.

nell67
10-10-2008, 06:08 PM
LMAO @ Coot! Hilarious,I so don't want to see this one in practice!

Rick
10-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Sort of gives new meaning to martial art doesn't it.

Coot if you practiced on canvas you might be able to sell the darned things as art.

Madrox
10-14-2008, 12:49 PM
I have a 45 caliber pistol (ruger p90) by the bed during the night and a Mossberg shotty in the closet. I have about 100 rounds for the pistol (3 loaded clips also) along with about 200 rounds for the shotty. Also have an old early 1900's 22 rifle with about 500 rounds if there was a need for it.

edit: As for camping I just found a good tactical holster (thigh) for the Ruger and if I go back into the sticks enough bear mace and the shotty. I wouldn't ever go alone and my friends have the same if not more firepower then I do. I'd avoid strangers and prefer to be where I wasn't bothered by anyone else.

Indiana Camper
11-14-2008, 03:32 AM
My thoughts are somewhat varied on this. I belive most criminals are cowards and looking for crimes of opportunity. Just by looking aware and confident you can deter most predators. However, on the other hand, any 14yr old punk with a cheap pistol can put a bullet in your back. So to everyone talking about how big and tough you are please do not get over confident.

As to pulling a weapon I agree one should be prepared to use it and to deal with the consiquences that come with that. But to say if you pull it out you are going to use it for sure is just not right. There are many situtions where pulling and/or pointing a firearm at somebody could save you without you having to shoot them

old soldier
11-14-2008, 02:18 PM
If Pepper Spray for Bears in Legal in your state, it will ruin a persons day, my state it is not, but hornet spray is, so I have a few cans scattered around like hornets and Wasps were a problem. If and when i did have to use it, then there is also the faithful ball bats laying around to finish the job on the knee caps.
It's just a matter of being confronted and finding the right time to use it. As someone pointed out, most criminals are stupid and if they don't see you with a gun, they think they're in the clear, there are many house hold items laying around to turn the tables in your favor.
then there's my 2 labs, very protective when strange men are around, they love kids and seldem growl at a women, just back off and stare at them, but when a strange man is around they set in back of us and you can just hear a faint growl like, make a move so i can chew on you.

HOP
11-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Old solider I worked and retired from corrections and have put out more pepper spray and CS than I care to remember and many who are taking psychotropic medication (many criminals) don't get a strong effect from the spray.
I carry OC and a stick and knife and a CCW (I hike a lot on a rail trail near) also have a Big 95# wolf shepherd with me and my plan if confronted is to access the situation and work with the tools I got.

Badawg
11-14-2008, 08:15 PM
For hiking in National parks, I forgo the firearms, but when not, its a Colt officer's Lightweight in 45ACP. Otherwise I have several different choices in edged weapons I can carry. the Khukri is one, but not on day hikes as it's in the pack. Usually it's either an older Western sheath knife, A buck 110 folder, a wicked Mikov, or the Ka-bar. I also carry a walking stick(I'm clumsy) as I am proficient with a quarter staff and made just the right one... Also, I am a brown belt in Judo, but not so good as I was, and did take Krav Maga a few years back, Had my wife and daughter also take that as it's the real deal.

Last time I was in an actual fight was last summer... Long winded story follows, I blogged about it last year, and still have a mark on my face... Feel free to read if you want. The important thing is that he could very well have been armed, and I could be dead. Instead I took control and this dirt bag has not been around since...

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/blog.php?b=161

Sourdough
11-15-2008, 07:30 AM
How to deal with two legged snakes.......? Move to where there are no snakes and everything has four legs. Speak softy.....and carry a .375 Holland & Holland.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
11-15-2008, 07:57 AM
I spend alot of time hiking,fishing,camping alone in wilderness type areas. And find that if I move more than 1/4 mile from a road or trail there is very little human activity. And although there have been a few times when I had wished I was carrying, I very seldom do. I believe is imperative to have very alert senses and be aware and for good measure I usually bring one or two companions who are much more aware then myself. I also agree with the walking staff it comes in quite handy for many things self defense being just one of the many.

My normal companions:

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/sh4d0wm4573ri7/Jun05_18.jpg

BH206L3
11-18-2008, 04:51 PM
In general the two legged version usually runs in packs for three to four if up to no good. I was never much of a pistol guy, but I always had a warm spot for two that I did carry for a lot of years, a Walter PPK, 380 the only gun that I ever had to use when confronted by said two legged snakes, and a Smith Model 29 with a 6 inch barrel. For the most part a 12 ga Shotgun is the way to go, no worries about permits or what have you, and most can shoot and hit with a shotgun with very little training or pratice. Not so for handguns, you need to shoot all the time and then shoot some more. I do admit they can be fun, but that is what they make 22's for. A 22 rifle is another way to go, light easy to shoot.

RangerXanatos
01-04-2009, 02:18 PM
I started this thread a while back asking for advice on how to protect yourself from the human predators. What made me start it was the case with Meredith Emerson here in Georgia. This incident happened about a year ago, and though I never knew the girl, it has always stuck with me. Since then, I've been thinking of ways to protect yourself and others while out and about in the woods. Lastnight, as I layed in bed and couldn't sleep, various thoughts were going through my head and I came up with a simple but possible quite effective idea. I know many of you have said to pass on the gun and what not since you don't know how accurate you would be in the time of need and just a glimpse of a gun being drawn could make them turn deathly violent. So what about just simple a shirt that has "CCW" or "I Carry" written on the front and back? Do you think 3 simple letters could be a big enough deterent?

Daniel

crashdive123
01-04-2009, 02:28 PM
No I don't Daniel. If somebody intends to do you harm anyway, they may just say to themselves "may as well shoot since he's probably got a weapon".

I'm a bif proponent of ones right to defend themself. I almost always carry. If you are seriously concerned about it, recieve the proper training and then practice on a regular basis. You may even find a new hobby that you enjoy through it.

As many have previously said, being aware of your surroundings is probably one of the most important things you can do.

RunsWithDeer
01-04-2009, 03:44 PM
So what about just simple a shirt that has "CCW" or "I Carry" written on the front and back? Do you think 3 simple letters could be a big enough deterent?

Daniel

No, that may just get the 2 legged snakes shoot first. I don't think it would be much of a deterrent.
The last thing you want to do is bring attention to yourself if you are carrying.

Pal334
01-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Avoidance whenever possible. Appear non threatening. As a general policy I do not carry any firearm when not working, especially with family present. When alone, I always use the "shoe leather express" method. I am a mature adult and have no fear of being thought of as a "fraidy cat" . When circumstances allow (type of clothing being worn and setting) I do carry a 12 inch ASP baton (collapsible baton) . With a non threatening demeanor, the "two legged snake (s) get confident and get much closer than they should. If the snake (s) do not allow me an "out",the resultant encounter turns decidedly unpleasant for the aggressor. This is always a last resort. My council is always avoid or simply run whenever it is possible, if it is not , act decisively and with as much force as you can muster.

RangerXanatos
01-04-2009, 06:10 PM
I understand all of your points. I completely agree about knowing your surroundings, but I was trying to think of a way to deter any attackers if they were waiting to ambush, like hiding in the bushes and waiting for someone to walk by where you would have no heads up about their presence. And of course, violence is the last resort.

primeelite
01-08-2009, 11:15 AM
I have been in a few places where I was 3-4 miles out from anything and have seen groups of people who weren't exactly someone you would want to hang around with. I was also out about a mile once and just saw a random guy who looked like he lived in the woods just wondering around and sort of following us. I think it is just being safe if you go out far enough where you know you can't run to get help to carry some type of firearm or other weapon. I think open carry is the best way to do this because the possible attacker can see the weapon and it may prevent a conflict from happening to begin with which is the best thing. But like many have said being aware of your surroundings and going with your gut feeling can prevent a situation more than anything because your attackers may have firearms too.

Leighman
01-08-2009, 11:24 AM
I know many of you have said to pass on the gun and what not since you don't know how accurate you would be in the time of need and just a glimpse of a gun being drawn could make them turn deathly violent. Daniel

I am of the "Have gun, know when and how to use it crowd."
It doesn't matter if it's urban, rural, or the boonies I am (legally) carrying concealed. Open carry may be legal where you are but from a defensive standpoint, it doesn't do you any favors.

That said, I cannot emphasize quality training enough.
As a certified CCW instructor for 8 years (KY) I can tell you that just about ANYONE can get their CCW (depending on their state of residence, of course) but to successfully rely on a firearm (a handgun in this case) for self defense, you must be very, very familiar with it and above all, be familiar with the laws and statutes pertaining to the use/misuse of deadly force.

skunkkiller
01-08-2009, 02:54 PM
what about a state that does not have ccw ? and for that matter no weapons at all.

RangerXanatos
01-08-2009, 03:07 PM
what about a state that does not have ccw ? and for that matter no weapons at all.

I guess that is what I've been trying to question as of late. So far the majority of the consensus has suggested using bearspray, a walking stick, and/or a type of self defense training.

crashdive123
01-08-2009, 03:28 PM
what about a state that does not have ccw ? and for that matter no weapons at all. I won't live in those states.

I guess that is what I've been trying to question as of late. So far the majority of the consensus has suggested using bearspray, a walking stick, and/or a type of self defense training. Those are great options for somebody that has not had firearms training and is comfortable carrying and using one. I would say (may have said it already) that if you have not received training, practice, etc. it is best not to carry a firearm.

Leighman
01-08-2009, 03:29 PM

Ranger beat me to it. Fox labs has some pretty effective pepper spray.

I once used it against an unleashed and somewhat aggressive dog with excellent results.

As for "no weapons at all" I will guarantee you that those willing to do harm against you will indeed have weapons of some sort; laws be damned.

While I do not advocate the breaking of laws, every indivivual must weigh the pros & cons of self defense and choose accordingly.

Luckily I live in a state that recognizes and protects my Constitutional Rights.

Sadly, some states do not.

Leighman
01-08-2009, 03:33 PM
I won't live in those states.

Those are great options for somebody that has not had firearms training and is comfortable carrying and using one. I would say (may have said it already) that if you have not received training, practice, etc. it is best not to carry a firearm.

Agree on both counts and BTW, Kentucky's CCW program was originally based on Florida's model.

Over a period spanning 20 years I have spent more $$$ on defensive handgun training than I can remember.

Was it worth it? I hope I am never forced to find that out! ;)

MCBushbaby
01-08-2009, 04:15 PM
I understand all of your points. I completely agree about knowing your surroundings, but I was trying to think of a way to deter any attackers if they were waiting to ambush, like hiding in the bushes and waiting for someone to walk by where you would have no heads up about their presence. And of course, violence is the last resort.

I think being a broad-chested, full beard mountain man in red flannel, schlepping a ruck and carrying a doublebit axe or rifle in one hand would make a potential attacker think twice. Maybe lash some old-fashioned jaw traps to the pack while your at it... and a big bowie stuck in your belt.

And then if you want to test your new found mountain awesomeness, start skipping and whistle a showtune. :D

EDIT: or domesticate a wolverine and walk with it on a leash... trained to snarl and attack anyone other than you. hmmmm, that sounds awesome. Forget the outfit, get the skunk bear

tsitenha
01-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Mitch, wolverines do not I repeat do not need to be trained to snarl, snap at strangers...they do need to be trained not to snarl and snap at you because you are tied by a leash to him....:D:eek:

I'd pay a dollar to see that

MCBushbaby
01-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Mitch, wolverines do not I repeat do not need to be trained to snarl, snap at strangers...they do need to be trained not to snarl and snap at you because you are tied by a leash to him....:D:eek:

trained to =A
snarl and attack anyone = B
other than you = C

A*B*C = B*A*C = ABC

There's my CompSci background leaking out again :p

tsitenha
01-08-2009, 04:40 PM
I can just picture it my head....Yosemite Sam could pull it off, still the thought..
bring tears to my eyes:D:D:D:D

sgtdraino
01-08-2009, 06:54 PM
It is hard to predict the mindset of an attacker. Impossible, even. Some attackers will be discouraged by the sight of open carry, some will simply shoot you in the back when you aren't looking. Some prefer to prey on someone who looks helpless, when others actually prefer taking that tough guy down a notch. The bottom line is, you cannot really count on discouraging an attacker by adjusting your appearance. That said, attackers are probably more likely to target the helpless type rather than the tough guy.

Obviously, as others have said, get training and practice in whatever means of self-defense you choose.

For myself, I like to carry in fairly deep concealment (Kahr PM40 pocket holster), but then openly display a large knife. Besides being a useful tool, my reasoning is that the knife could act as a distraction device. Their attention will be focused on the knife, they won't even be thinking about a gun. In fact, the knife might even help them to believe that I don't have a gun (why wear a big knife openly if you have a gun?). The knife also could deter the attackers who go after the helpless, and yet not be threatening enough to make the more motivated attackers shoot me in the back.

Of course, keep in mind that all this is just me trying to predict the mindset of the attacker. ;)

MCBushbaby
01-08-2009, 07:54 PM
I disagree a bit, draino, ambush attackers are punks. They look for the weak knowing they can take them. I'd be more weary of the tough guy who waits in plain sight, kind of like the "toll bandits" in ancient japan or medieval Europe. Those guys will mess with anyone not in a large group. True, someone in the bushes could shoot someone in the back for no reason, but being punks (for lack of a better term), they want someone to dominate. It's part of their inferiority complex. Shooting someone from afar or in the back won't appeal to them... unless they are beaten in which case they'll do some childish revenge.

Beans
01-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Old habits don't die easly.

After making camp, cooking dinner and getting ready for bed, I move away from the fire to a more secure location where the camp can still be seen but Into an area where I cannot be approched without making noise.

I just feel more secure then sleeping by the fire.

primeelite
01-11-2009, 10:30 AM
I agree, I think sleeping right beside the fire is a good way to attract attention. I always do the same thing and sleep slightly away from the fire to be able to see what is going on and hear anything/anyone walking through the brush.

Stairman
01-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Ive often wondered in the past how many warm campfires have given unsuspecting outdoorsmen away to a cold desperate attacker.I dont worry about it if Im alone but with the wife I will always have a concelled handgun.Women,especially decent looking can bring weirdos to act when they normally would act ok.Campers were murdered here a few years back in Ocala National Forest for little or nothin.People running from the law seem to find there way to Florida with its mild winters and many lakes and rivers.Appalacheecola wilderness area has alot of homesteaders in the woods,and are not savory citizens in the least.Luckily my trips there are with hunting parties heavily armed but we never had a lookout all night so were still vulnerable for attack.I figure most would simply steel what they could but you never know when you might have an encounter with a psyco.Anybody remember deliverance?