PDA

View Full Version : Poison Hemlock

Raymearsrocks
08-03-2007, 08:50 PM
My friend and i were out today gathering wild plants and fruits and he isnt really into that sort of stuff unlike me and i pointed to a few mint plants and i said grab some of those and you can chew the leaves but he thought i was pointing at the poison hemlock so him not knowing it was unedible he picked some chewed it and swallowed it without me realising untill he said urgghh thats horrible. So i made him make himself sick and drink lots of water. Was that the right thing to do?

owl_girl
08-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Activated charcoal is one of the best for poison control, even works for antifreeze consumption. There’s a hangover prevention pill that has some in it so one of those might work also.

owl_girl
08-03-2007, 09:18 PM
This is a website about it
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/activated_charcoal/article_em.htm

I think I've heard that milk has a similar effect as Activated charcoal only milk isn’t as powerful so it doesn’t work as well. But as always ask a doctor and do some research. Hope this helps

Sarge47
08-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Activated charcoal is one of the best for poison control, even works for antifreeze consumption. There’s a hangover prevention pill that has some in it so one of those might work also.

Yes, that was also a topic on the Discovery program: "Marine Corps Survival School"! Hoo-Ahh! Owl Girl!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

nell67
08-04-2007, 08:36 AM
You can also carry a small bottle of syrup of epicac in your kit but it recommended that you call the poison control center before administering it,as some poisons should NOT be vomited back up and requires other methods to eliminate them from the body.In the woods that may not be the best bet though because unless you have a satailte phone calling the center may not be easy.I had to give that stuff to my daughter when she was 2 because she thought poke berries were delicious....ugh:(

wareagle69
08-04-2007, 09:18 AM
was your friends name socrates?
any how empty stomche as already suggested and seek immediate medical attn

spiritman
08-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Well is he alive and healthy? if so then good job!