PDA

View Full Version : chicken of the woods

wareagle69
06-30-2008, 07:36 AM
aka sulpher shelf found some last night up an ash tree a massive clump of it very easy to id (to me at least) will be making some for breaky will let ya know how that comes out

let me add this for geographical differences-laetiporous sulphureus

canid
06-30-2008, 09:41 AM
yeah, chicken of the woods are as easy to identify as candy corn. i miss them, my area is too dry this time of year to support any of the fleshy fungi, with the exception of the ephemeral little guys in the lawns. cheers and congrats on your find. they're one of my favorite mushrooms.

jrock24
06-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Cool find, whats your recipe?

Oh and dont set up a tent under that tree.

wareagle69
06-30-2008, 01:12 PM
ok so this am i melted some butter in my cast iron pan cut up a bit of shroom and fried up with salt and pepper ate 4 or 5 mouthfulls since my first time eating this variety then went out to the bush to pick some wild strawberries and blueberries no problems with eating the shroom so now will make some more, actually will go back to the tree and harvest the outer rings, so it will keep growing for years and will freeze some for later.

Ole WV Coot
06-30-2008, 05:38 PM
So I don't need my shotgun for that kinda chicken, and I reckon there ain't any eggs either?

crashdive123
06-30-2008, 08:47 PM
For anybody not familiar with chicken of the woods (like me), here you go. http://www.mushroomexpert.com/laetiporus_sulphureus.html

wareagle69
06-30-2008, 09:21 PM
sorry folks chicken of the woods is considered one of the four easy mushrooms to id then there is the puffball, the chanterelle and the shaggy mane these are considered safe to id as they do not have any poisonous look a likes i would also add the boletes because i feel they are they easiest to id but thats just me

wareagle69
07-01-2008, 08:21 PM
ok so its been 48 hours since i picked my fungus off the tree its been in my basement with no signs of bugs or worms and has not gotten hard so now i have set it outside on the wood pile to watch also, the point of this exercise is that it keeps well so if you find some while on the move you can eat off of it for a few days.

Canadian-guerilla
07-02-2008, 02:35 AM
good stuff to know here
i've always shunned all mushrooms outright
but i'll find some quality pictures and articles on this
and throw them in my " survival food " folder

wareagle69
07-02-2008, 08:19 PM
wild foods need not be scary just take the time to learn

Ridge Wolf
07-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Apparently by that article that Crash put up there, you should mention that they shouldn't be eaten raw. Some people have reactions to the raw dining... apparently.

canid
07-03-2008, 02:51 AM
a good majority of the adverse reactions reported have been to those spcimens growing on encalyptus, though i've not had such trouble.

it should also be noted that there are several taxa within the former context of the species, which may account for some of the trouble. the troubles reported are generally indigestion. such reactions are a least somewhat common with most woodloving mushrooms when eaten raw.

wareagle69
07-03-2008, 06:55 PM
i have looked all over the dagone place and i can't find a eucalyptus any wheres of course now that i found dock i see it every where so i guess i'll just cross my fingers next time i find some

crashdive123
07-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Try looking over there! No, no, wait.....over there!

canid
07-03-2008, 09:03 PM
you don't need eucalyptus for this species, it's just one of several common host species.

wareagle69
07-04-2008, 04:44 PM
what do ya know about chicken of the woods being found on evrergreens?

trax
07-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Try looking over there! No, no, wait.....over there!

this is why the eucalyptus is known as the "waldo of the woods"

Ole WV Coot
07-04-2008, 06:59 PM
ok so its been 48 hours since i picked my fungus off the tree its been in my basement with no signs of bugs or worms and has not gotten hard so now i have set it outside on the wood pile to watch also, the point of this exercise is that it keeps well so if you find some while on the move you can eat off of it for a few days.

So if it moves then you shoot it? It's gotta die one way or the other.:rolleyes:

canid
07-05-2008, 08:41 PM
several subspecies or satalie species, such as Laetiporus conifericola will grow on assorted conifers, such as on firs in wester north america and L. huroniensis in the great lakes region, etc.