PDA

View Full Version : woodstove

hillbill
06-29-2008, 10:49 PM
hey everbody im getting ready to but a stove for the den,i need something that has a good draw,glass doors and not overly expensive.thanks from the mountains of tn.

crashdive123
06-30-2008, 06:40 AM
Hillbill - are you looking at a fireplace insert or a wood stove?

wareagle69
06-30-2008, 07:24 AM
woodstove i would go with a drolet

Ole WV Coot
06-30-2008, 08:00 AM
I've had a Buck insert for many years and would recommend it. Back when I got mine their regular stove was just an insert with legs. They are a little pricey now, but what isn't?

LindyLu
06-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Mornin' All. I have a Buck stove & love it. I replaced a Vermont Casting that had been improperly installed (lucky I kept it so I can hand it down to someone) but all in all, I love my my Buck stove. Have been using it for about 5 years now. It has glass doors and does a great job. Great to cook on too. Also had a Buck insert back in IN in the 1970s - great stove.

DOGMAN
06-30-2008, 03:23 PM
I have a JOTUL of Norway wood stove and it rocks! I really like it because it has a door that is as wide as the stove, so you can get big pieces of wood in there. I also like it because it can keep a fire going all night if you damp it way down.

hillbill
06-30-2008, 04:32 PM
woodstove back up heat do you get a lot of smoke in the house

trax
06-30-2008, 04:39 PM
You shouldn't get smoke if you're doing things right. Best bet is to put a damper on the pipe and close it if the fire goes out while you relight, gives the hot smoke a chance to start rising. If you have smoke in the stove/chimney and it's cold outside the cold air is going to force down causing a backdraft of smoke and that's hard to stop once it's started because you're eyes are tearing up while you try to get your fire re-lit. Figure out how much square footage you want to keep warm, do you want the stove for aesthetic purposes as well (sitting around the fire--glass doors) and work from there in terms of location of your stove, materials, and size. If the stove is going in the basement, heat rises so that's a bonus, it'll require less ventilation work on your part. Good to have a blower fan on the stove or a fan somewhere on the ceiling pulling the heat up though.

Ole WV Coot
06-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Warm up your pipe or chimney to keep the smoke down. Before you lite a fire take some paper, cardboard etc don't take much and lite it. It will warm up and you can tell real quick when it's drawing then lite your fire. I've kinda got the house a little cloudy trying to skip doing this myself. Like TRAX says, ceiling fans are well worth it I have a dozen in my house.

hillbill
06-30-2008, 05:37 PM
thanks for all the info ive got decide to put in a den or the basement.