PDA

View Full Version : corn broken in half

Chris
06-29-2008, 01:45 PM
went out today and noticed two of my corn stalks broken in half. No idea how or why. The others nearby are fine, this pisses me off of course because it isn't is like I have a lot and now its too late to start more.

Anyone know of a critter that could do this? There was a smaller limb on the ground nearby from a tree, but it was 3 or 4 feet away and wasn't so big.

crashdive123
06-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Not sure what area you're in, but could you see any gnaw marks on the stalks? Maybe from a rodent?

HOP
06-29-2008, 03:08 PM
I am going to say squirrels but could have been a raccoon.

Ridge Wolf
06-29-2008, 04:15 PM
How far up on the stalk is the break? I have a few stalks out there too. If it is a racoon I have a few of those marauding around, also we live near a river and have on occasion seen river rats around too. I doubt squirrels very much, There are lots of squirrels here too, the neighbor feeds them peanuts and they bury them in my yard. Your preditor could be anything from racoons to rats to nutria to roaming dogs.

canid
06-29-2008, 04:16 PM
i'd guess it might have been tiny UFOs.

anyway, the point i would like to make is that crop loss happens. we have no right as gardeners or farmers to assume everything is going to come up right and have to make consessions to help our odds, which often comes to aiming for a somewhat greater crop than we need. if two stalks is hurting your harvest, i hope you'll sow more next year. pest management is only one side of the issue.

as for the identity of the perp: how high up the stalk are they broken?

canid
06-29-2008, 04:19 PM
somebody's on the same page as i am i see.

chris: if the breaks are higher that a foot, i'd suspect deer or a similar ungulate. depending on what you have in your area.

bulrush
07-01-2008, 11:53 AM
I'd suspect raccoon or possum. Those are heavier climbing animals who would likely climb the stalk until it gave way.

My corn is only waist high (my tallest plant, I'm in Michigan). How high is your corn exactly?

wareagle69
07-01-2008, 08:01 PM
my guess is ungulate in nature also second suspect would be a coon

Chris
07-02-2008, 10:14 AM
I'd suspect raccoon or possum. Those are heavier climbing animals who would likely climb the stalk until it gave way.

My corn is only waist high (my tallest plant, I'm in Michigan). How high is your corn exactly?
they were mid thigh on my 6'5 frame

Dennis K.
07-02-2008, 10:20 AM
i'd guess it might have been tiny UFOs.

I agree. You are witnessing the birth of a crop circle, and the aliens are using it as a map to your house.

Dennis "tin-foil-hat-man" K.

cabingirl
07-05-2008, 11:56 AM
coons are really bad about breaking down corn stalks. It happens often here.You can set a live trap and put sardines in the trap, to trap the coon at night.

TrappinGal
07-09-2008, 04:51 PM
most people think racoon but as likely its a skunk.

Rick
07-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Skunks climb? I've never heard of a skunk climbing or jumping for that matter. To be sure there are things in this world I have yet to learn but skunks don't have the need to do either.

Chris
07-09-2008, 07:31 PM
most people think racoon but as likely its a skunk.
Oddly enough, I saw a skunk here, for the first time ever yesterday.

But I'm pretty sure a raccoon is living under our deck so... who knows.

nell67
07-09-2008, 07:58 PM
My corn has the same problem,set a live trap,and you bet,it's a racoon,I think it's retaliation for moving the feed out of the storage building and into the house to keep them out of it ,they were also leaving little care packages in there,including in the seat of the riding mower,didn't think I'd ever hear the end of that,since,after all who looks at the seat of the mower before they plop themselves down???? It was quite hilarious.:D

TrappinGal
07-09-2008, 08:54 PM
i have trapped skunks and racoon out of several corn patches here, both field corn and sweet corn. i have caught more skunks than coon in sweet corn.

believe it or not it sounds like skunks to me. they can and will pull over corn stalks.

Beo
07-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Maybe a deer or a coon, skunk is a possibilty but I doubt it.
Beo, http://ranchoarcana.com/taps/_remote_files_for_taps_forums/forum18/Smileys/default/police.gif (javascript:void(0);)

Rick
07-10-2008, 09:49 AM
I can certainly see the skunk pulling the corn over or pushing it down. His corn was broken mid stalk, which sort of indicates something tried to climb it.

Ole WV Coot
07-10-2008, 12:20 PM
You don't happen to have a "leg" beagle in your neighborhood do you ? If you do I bet you already know how to trap him.

trax
07-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Broken off and consumed? Or laying there? With the stick from the nearby tree, my money's on the raccoon. They tend to drag things they've "found" around with them sometimes.

TrappinGal
07-10-2008, 03:29 PM
i caught a family of skunk 2 weeks ago in my uncles sweet corn.
i caught 3 out of his patch in 8 days.

since theyre gone, hes had no problem with anything tearing over and eating at his corn.

he thought it was coon too till i showed him the live trap with a skunk in it.

hes very glad theyre gone.