PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum, From NC

purplehook
06-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Hello,

I stumbled upon this site when I was looking for info on how to seal and prepare a gourd canteen. It looks to be a nice site. I live in North Carolina. I went to school up in the mountains and now I live on the coast. I have been a big backpacker since college but, I want to get even a more pure experience in nature So me and a buddy are making all of our back packing equipment from scratch out of only natural materials. This seems to be a good place for information to help us.
I have always liked crafts and survival techniques and studies. In the past year I have been making cold process soap and have started a side business doing that. If anyone needs info on that I will be happy to oblige.

Thanks,
Britt.

purplehook
06-28-2008, 09:29 PM
I forgot to add. I have seen people say that paraffin wax is much better to use to seal the inside of a gourd canteen than beeswax. I have beeswax readily available at home. What makes it less desirable than paraffin wax? Beeswax seems to be more natural than paraffin.

crashdive123
06-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Hello and welcome.

Rick
06-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Welcome home. You might also look into Soy Wax (soybean wax) as another natural product. I don't do gourd canteens so I can't answer your question.

Jay
06-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Greetings & welcome to the forum!