PDA

View Full Version : Survival scenario #2

ryaninmichigan
08-02-2007, 03:44 PM
You are a sea plane ride and the engine goes out. The pilot lands the plane but dies of freak heart attack in the process. You have a leatherman and some flint and steal because you never leave home with out them. The pilot has some smokes a lighter and a candy bar. Oh ya there is fishing pole in the back of the plane It is September in the north country. Meaning 65-70 during the day and 40-30 at night. You were half way through your 2 hour ride so you now the city you left from is about 145 miles to the south.. So there you are the plan is intact but not running and you have no pilot, and the lake is surrounded by angry moose. (Just kidding) what is next?

trax
08-02-2007, 04:16 PM
and says I'm pretty sure the gadgets would save me. Pilots initiate an emergency signal when they're going in for crash landings don't they? If I'm wrong somebody tell me cuz I'll need a better answer, but my answer for now is stay calm and wait.

ryaninmichigan
08-02-2007, 04:36 PM
ding ding ding and the winner is TRAX. They at the very least HAVE to file a flight plan with the FAA. Grab that fishing pole build a fire and relax. Oh were you calling Mr gadget?

trax
08-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Bowing profusely as the audience throws flowers on the stage..:o :o :o I want to thank mom and dad and my agent....

donny h
08-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Grab that fishing pole build a fire and relax.

If there is wood for it, build three fires, since that is an international distress signal, and a spotter plane may miss the wreckage, but still see the fires. Scrounge rubber or plastic from the wreck, if I hear a search plane, I'll toss the rubber/plastic on that fire(s) to create thick black smoke. A tire with some engine oil would be perfect for this.

Just because a flight plan was filed doesn't mean the pilot stuck to it, he may have wandered far off course for a variety of reasons, and the electronics that help searchers find plane wrecks may have been destroyed in the wreck. It happens, we don't find every missing plane, not by a long shot. My point is, just because it was a plane wreck doesn't mean help is on the way, or that they will find me anytime soon.

150 miles is a long walk out in the northern country, especially if there are bog and mountain ranges to cross.

September in the north? Early winterlike storms may be just around the corner, walking out is very difficult, and I have a reasonable chance of being found by staying put.

I stay put, I focus my energy on an initial signal fire, and building a nice shelter, this is the north, and I could be here awhile, a deluxe shelter is called for, assuming I have enough material at hand. Fishing can wait until later, I just survived a plane crash, I'm not even hungry yet.

Soon, I need to bury the pilots body, if possible. The rotting smell will attract bears. If I can't bury it, maybe I can carry it 1/4 mile or more to get it away from my shelter, and possibly cover the body with rocks if burying it is difficult. I'll mark the grave on the surface, and inside I'll include a chunk of steel from the wreck. The steel will allow the body to be found later with a metal detector, should my surface marker get detroyed somehow.

Sorry, Mr. Pilot. I gotta do what I gotta do. If I make it out of this, I'll come back for you later, I promise, and if I don't you'll have company.

I'm saving the candy bar until later, if my shelter is inadequate this first night, the calories in that candy may help me survive until daybreak when I can improve the shelter.

Sarge47
08-02-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm in the plane and hungry with a dead pilot. Actually I hear that pilots taste better than lawyers. After all if I can eat scorpions and snakes, drink my own pee and liquid from a large elephant turd, well......:rolleyes:

trax
08-02-2007, 05:55 PM
If there is wood for it, build three fires, since that is an international distress signal, and a spotter plane may miss the wreckage, but still see the fires.

He said the plane was intact.

Pretty hard to build a sustainable fire on water

My point is, just because it was a plane wreck doesn't mean help is on the way, or that they will find me anytime soon.

Yeah, but they will look and a plane is easier to spot than a person is.

150 miles is a long walk out in the northern country, especially if there are bog and mountain ranges to cross.

Yep, too far for me. I'm going to start building in that scenario.

You might have that much paddling to do first with the size of the lakes where this particular quizmaster lives.

I stay put, I focus my energy on an initial signal fire, and building a nice shelter, this is the north, and I could be here awhile, a deluxe shelter is called for, assuming I have enough material at hand. Fishing can wait until later, I just survived a plane crash, I'm not even hungry yet.

The plane's heater probably still works and yeah, a plane crash would probably ruin my appetite, specially with that dead guy still around.

I'm saving the candy bar until later, if my shelter is inadequate this first night, the calories in that candy may help me survive until daybreak when I can improve the shelter.

Usually, your chances of getting rescued are about 80% better if you stay with a plane wreck, at least that's what they taught us back in the day with bushplanes. If possible, if it is a wreck, try to get the fuel, there's a nasty fire starter for you!

SOE digital
08-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Why did the engine go out?
I'd try and fix it and fly outta there. I've got a pilots license :)

But yeah, I'd search the plane and see if an emergency beacon was activated. Otherwise I'd just make it to shore, light 3 fires, not drink and water for the first day (remember, your body is a resuvoir) or eat. I'd use metal from the plane to try and boil lake water...and wait. Chances are the pilot filed a flight plan and help will be on the way eventually. Oh, if the avionics still work I'd use the radio to call for help.

If help is not on the way I'd still stay put and go fishing. If I cannot find suitable bait around and I was really hungy I guess I may use meat cut from the pilot as bait ;) I'd keep warm by filling my clothing with stuffing from the seat padding off the plane.

If after a week or so I havn't been spotted, and providing I had enough fish (sundried and or smoked) to eat, I'd start getting on the move. 150miles is about 241 kilometres. I know I can cover at least 50 kilometres a day, but let's just call it 30 kilometres given tough terrain, fatigue, etc. That puts it at roughly 8 days. Let's call it 10 days incase of unforeseen events.

I spent some time in the army and I'm also an avid rock climber/mountaineer. I'd be confident that I could do it...either way, I'd at least try it. My only concern is I have very little knowledge of American/Canadian landscape...so I can really go on and on about what I'd do. At least I'd have a map for navigation from the pilot's kneeboard ;)

owl_girl
08-03-2007, 01:42 AM
Those are some pretty good answers guys.

SOE digital
08-03-2007, 03:53 AM
Mines was the best huh.

;)

owl_girl
08-03-2007, 11:24 AM
Mines was the best huh.

;)

Well I think you’d all survive, you’re probably the only one with the chance of flying out your self.

wareagle69
08-03-2007, 05:03 PM
music starts rush trax off stage left

in canada it is ileagal to fly in the north w/o a survival kit, i would be aware of the flight plan and if the pilot have veered from it i would have shot him for treason(oops sorry thats the american in me coming out ptsd and all) anyhow stay with the plane (da plane da plane) i hope i am not the only one who gets that,and enjoy the peace and quiet..

always be prepared

spiritman
08-03-2007, 05:08 PM
After the crash you could probably use all the peace and quite you can get. that's cool about not being able to fly without a survival kit. Makes me wonder what other common sense their government has and could they let ours borrow it for a couple days? I'm sure we'll give it back after a bit seeing how most times ours doesn't use much...

FVR
08-04-2007, 10:58 PM
After the plane was on the ground, I'd make a mad dash and initiate the site latreen.

Then I'd mosy back to the plane, build a little fire, get on the radio and get to talking.

Since the pilot is dead, hey, chocolate covered naa, not going there.

Flight plans had to have been made so I would just sit tight. Maybe use that chocolate to lure a moose over, then shoot him with a flare gun. Wala, instant bbq.

troutndeer
08-05-2007, 12:17 AM
I would first get my fires going, I would then drag mr. pilot to a spot of rest and cover him. I would gather fire wood on the way back, and try to insulate the plane with tree bowes and branches If there was enough day light left I would look for a creek going into the lake and take my chances with the water and drink it last thing I would do Is make a weapon to defend my self from bears. I probaly would not sleep well so I would prepare for a long night. Next Morning I would gather more fire wood and then try for some fish!

Fog_Harbor
08-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Yeah, there's a kit in the plane, whether or not it's been checked recently is another matter. I'm with the concensus - Stay with the plane, try to paddle it to shore if you can and make shelter near it (or inside it).

Try to keep the pilot cool if possible, but if he starts to go bad, over the side he goes (sorry fella).

Nothing wrong with an unplanned fishing trip.

trax
08-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Ryan...maybe clarify what lake we're talking about here, because if this plane is floating in the middle of Lake Michigan....or Erie...or Superior (the inland sea, you say?).....all those firestarters might want to reconsider their answers.

wareagle69
08-08-2007, 01:37 PM
trax lake erie is the only one that ever caught on fire

ryaninmichigan
08-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Lake Superior is bigger then South Carolina 34,000 square, miles I believe. No I am speaking of a small inland lake just big enough to bring s sea plane down in safely

very true, sadly

trax
08-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Lake Superior is bigger then South Carolina 34,000 square, miles I believe. No I am speaking of a small inland lake just big enough to bring s sea plane down in safely

very true, sadly

Yeah, that's pretty sick isn't it?

DEET
08-08-2007, 09:02 PM
I'm thinking something like castaway meets weekend at bernies:D I'll break out some string and turn the pilot into a meat marrianette (you know like pinnochio). That way I'll have company (it's better than a volleyball), then I'll break out my trusty swiss army knife and using the chocolate bar, some floss and a peice of tin foil fix the hole in the engine block a'la Mcgyver. Then me and my new freind mister pilot will fly outta there and the tower will talk me down to a nice safe landing where they will discover the pilot has miracously had a full recovery which they credit to my marrienette work which allowed his body to heal itself through the wonders of the Tia chi we were donig. I'll be a hero and they will invite me for front row seats to the MLB allstar game. :rolleyes:

SOE digital
08-09-2007, 05:27 AM
DEET, you don't write George Bush's speeches do you?

spiritman
08-10-2007, 05:49 AM
if the plane is in a small lake then it will blow to shore fairly quickly. that's when you make you fire for shelter and to cook any possible fish you were trying for during the wait cuz your not an idiot trying to swim in the freezing water. You will hopefully have a nice lunch compliments to the pilot who saved your @$$ by landing in the lake.

Strider
08-12-2007, 04:33 PM
As an answer, I would find the distress radio and signal a radio... I've done this once before because the stupid pilot went to high and passed out... we landed in a tree in the middle of a forest... the distress signal worked and within a few hours, I got a response from a coastguard heli... yay.