PDA

View Full Version : seed storage

hillbill
06-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Hows the best way to store garden seed for future use,and whats a good geneator to run a deep freeze.thanks

crashdive123
06-28-2008, 06:04 PM
There are so many factors that affect seed storage. Some seeds will last a long time, while others just a year or two. There are a lot of thoughts on how to extend the life of your seeds. Some will keep them refrigerated, some will store at room temp, some use oxygen asborbers, etc. I believe you can do any of these things to maximize the shelf life. Also, keep them out of excessive heat and away from moisture.

crashdive123
06-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Here's some information that may be useful. http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/2006-12-01/Savvy-Seed-Care.aspx

Rick
06-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Whenever you air condition air you remove the moisture. I've never researched why that happens but you can prove it by sticking some bread inside your fridge. It will dry out pretty quickly.

I've always stored my seeds on a shelf in the refrigerator (I have one in the garage). I have spinach, lettuce and radish sees that are at least three years old and still germinated in this year's garden. If you want to store them for years, I think I would either freeze them or store them in nitrogen.

Norway has developed seed storage inside an arctic mountain. Of course, most of us don't have a mountain handy let alone an arctic one.

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/02/the-end-of-the.html

TrappinGal
07-09-2008, 05:48 PM
i always save my own seed and store them in the freezer in freezer containers till the spring and im ready to plant anothr garden.

Seppo Karhu
07-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Whenever you air condition air you remove the moisture. I've never researched why that happens but you can prove it by sticking some bread inside your fridge. It will dry out pretty quickly.

Cold air holds less moisture. It's the same principle that causes rain on the west coast mountains. The moisture in the bread will try to balance, and therefore dries out the bread. :)