PDA

View Full Version : Machete Modifications for the Bush

Pict
06-26-2008, 11:05 AM
I have a few modifications I do to my machete blades to make them easier to work with in the bush. These simple mods will help you get the most out of your machete. In the video I used a standard 12 inch Ontario because that is the blade I use most in the US and I feel it is more appropriate to the bulk of people watching. I have also done these same mods on Tramontinas.

Machete Modifications for the Bush (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVHeKNbRXgc)

Mac

Rick
06-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Mac, that is one of the most informative vids I've ever seen. Pretty ingenious modifications. The down side is now I have some work to do on my machete.;)

Really a nice post!! One of the better ones on the net.

crashdive123
06-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Mac - Another great video - Thanks.

Ole WV Coot
06-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Mac great video and I have used the convex and Scandinavian grinds on my Ontario also. I never thought about the back of the blade like a cabinet scraper. Have you seen any natives sharpen theirs by using a slight bend to the blade and using the side of the file to scrape and remove metal? It gives a very sharp but mostly a blade with few uses.

Pict
06-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Coot,

I have seen natives here use anything, and I mean cement slabs anything, to sharpen all manner of tools. It makes me ill to watch. I haven't seen that technique. If you're just clearing brush you can get away with just about any sharp edge on a machete, brute force makes up for any lack of finesse. Its in that category of working harder not smarter. Mac

bulrush
06-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Good idea to put a file in a different pocket with your machete.

bladefrenzy
06-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Great video, we seem to be on the same page. I use both an old Military issue True Temper and a heavier Martindale machete in the bush. Both cut down to 12 in blades and convexed. I usually carry a scandi style knife so my big blades are fully convexed. I enjoy your other vids as well and would like to thank you for taking the time to do them.

Rick
06-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Mac, what software are you using to edit your vids? Please don't tell me if you have to kill me or otherwise do bodily harm.:o

Pict
06-26-2008, 09:07 PM
I just use Windows Movie Maker. There's alot there I haven't played with yet. Its just a matter of dragging the clips onto the timeline, and dragging the effects onto or between the clips. You can either shorten a clip by sliding the ends of it or split a clip in two and edit out parts in the middle.

I'm learning that if I'm talking and screw up just to pause and start over again, then go back and edit out the bloopers. I really enjoy the whole process. Mac

Tactical Tom
06-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Thats a great idea ! I'm going to SMKW one day next week, I'm going to get myself a tram & ontario machete & who knows what else :D

Tony uk
06-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Give that man a cigar, Great vid, I dont use a machete though *Cries*

Pict
06-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Tony,

I guess Scotland isn't really machete territory is it. Real men do use machetes but since you're from Scotland you get a pass on that. Any culture that develops entire food groups around "stuff boiled in a stomach" is plenty man enough. I can say that as a fellow Scot. Mac

crashdive123
06-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Oh man.....I feel the censor button getting ready.

nell67
06-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Oh God,they are NOT going to use that "H" word,are they:eek:

crashdive123
06-27-2008, 05:05 PM
I fear they may. (you know how Rick hates that word!)

nell67
06-27-2008, 05:06 PM
He is not alone on that one,'sgusting!

Tony uk
06-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Pifffttttt, There isnt notthing wrong with haggis, With blood pudding, neeps and taties Mmmmmmmmmm Mouth watering :D

crashdive123
06-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Tony! There are kids on the forum! (Sorry Alpine, I had to say it).

Tony uk
06-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Tony! There are kids on the forum! (Sorry Alpine, I had to say it).

And i bet they would all like haggis :)

Just like Rick :p

crashdive123
06-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Maybe. We do have a fairly new member - Mikkey.

Tony uk
06-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Maybe. We do have a fairly new member - Mikkey.

Do we...........Yep

Another person to share the knowledge of Haggis with :)

Pict
06-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Haggis! Haggis! Haggis!

Look left. See that screen name. These are my poeple we're talking about.
I don't sign my posts "Mac" for nothin'!

I don't care what it is, if you stuff it in a sheep stomach and boil it... it'll make you want to wear a dress, paint yourself blue, and cleave someone in half. Haggis is MANFOOD. It's how we survived. MAC

crashdive123
06-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Haggis! Haggis! Haggis!

Look left. See that screen name. These are my poeple we're talking about.
I don't sign my posts "Mac" for nothin'!

I don't care what it is, if you stuff it in a sheep stomach and boil it... it'll make you want to wear a dress, paint yourself blue, and cleave someone in half. Haggis is MANFOOD. It's how we survived. MAC

I have always found it best to never disagree with a man in a dress, who is painted blue, with a large sword ready to cleave me in half.

http://www.eosc.edu/current_student/club_pages/photo_club/trip_photos_04/Brian%20Braveheart.jpg

Rick
06-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Too......weak.....can't....reach......ban......but ton........

Pict
06-27-2008, 08:48 PM
http://www.eosc.edu/current_student/club_pages/photo_club/trip_photos_04/Brian%20Braveheart.jpg

"What have eye gut under the Kilt?"

SWOOSH! Flop.

"Have a look!"

Mac

I Love SCRAPPLE, the other white meat.

Ridge Wolf
06-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Coot,

I have seen natives here use anything, and I mean cement slabs anything, to sharpen all manner of tools. It makes me ill to watch. I haven't seen that technique. If you're just clearing brush you can get away with just about any sharp edge on a machete, brute force makes up for any lack of finesse. Its in that category of working harder not smarter. Mac

There was a guy on here that did a post on sharpening the machete by bending it. He even had a Utube vid on it. I don't remember who he was or if he still has the vid on Utube. Rick? help me out here.

Also, are you sure you don't make your living teaching outdoor survival techniques? I think you mentioned that you had a small group of people that go out there with you. Very good video on the use of the machete... I, like Rick have some work to do. Thanks.

Ole WV Coot
06-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Yep he did have a YouTube on it and I was dumb enough to give it a try on an old Ontario. I guess that's where the sad part began. It worked, scraped the steel right off to the thickness of a razor blade. You could slice & dice with it but otherwise, useless. I didn't remember where he was and was curious if natives ever used this method, he said they did but a blade wouldn't last a month if it was shaved down the way he recommended. It took a day to get mine back to scan & convex. Great idea Mac had with the back of the blade as a type of cabinet scraper, works great. I had always sharpened the blade like he does.

Tony uk
06-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Too......weak.....can't....reach......ban......but ton........

You havent been haveing enough haggis Rick

Pict
06-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Coot,

There's nothing new under the sun. This way of sharpening just sort of evolved for me as the sweet spot always got beat up so I went more and more to convex. The base of the blade always stayed sharp and I used it more for slicing than chopping so I would just sharpen it higher and flatter every time.

The flat spine was a happy discovery just by trying to clean up the appearance. I thumbed the edge and it felt sharp. I ran it along the edge of the workbench and came away with a handfull of really fine shavings. OK, that'll come in handy, but the rest of the blade is ripping my hand up, I'd better round that off. I've been using them this way for long enough now that a new machete just doesn't cut it for me (ha) until I give it a work-over in the shop. Mac

Ridge Wolf
06-29-2008, 12:19 AM
Coot,

There's nothing new under the sun. This way of sharpening just sort of evolved for me as the sweet spot always got beat up so I went more and more to convex. The base of the blade always stayed sharp and I used it more for slicing than chopping so I would just sharpen it higher and flatter every time.

The flat spine was a happy discovery just by trying to clean up the appearance. I thumbed the edge and it felt sharp. I ran it along the edge of the workbench and came away with a handfull of really fine shavings. OK, that'll come in handy, but the rest of the blade is ripping my hand up, I'd better round that off. I've been using them this way for long enough now that a new machete just doesn't cut it for me (ha) until I give it a work-over in the shop. Mac

I'll have you know that I re-worked my machete in the same way last night. Wonderful modification. Thanks. :D

Rick
06-29-2008, 07:38 AM
For those that mind not know the difference between convex or V edge, for example, here's a nice article on it.

http://home.nycap.rr.com/sosak/convex.htm

Here's a nice little hone that you can make:

http://bill-hay.com/Convex/Convex.htm

Pict
06-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Very good links, excellent stuff. Mac

tonester
06-02-2009, 04:26 PM
i just recently purchased a machete, and i kinda already knew that you have to sharpen brand new machetes yourself, but i was not expecting it to be as dull as it is. how do you sharpen it when its that dull? i dont have a grinder or any machinery like that. i took a file to the blade but it did no good. thanks for the help.

crashdive123
06-02-2009, 04:53 PM
i just recently purchased a machete, and i kinda already knew that you have to sharpen brand new machetes yourself, but i was not expecting it to be as dull as it is. how do you sharpen it when its that dull? i dont have a grinder or any machinery like that. i took a file to the blade but it did no good. thanks for the help.

Really, the same way you would sharpen a knife. The file should work. I have found that the sharpeners with carbide blades work well. There are several styles out there. Here's a pic of one you can pick up for about $5.

http://www.outdoorpros.com/images/prod/5/Smiths-Sharpener-JIFF-S-rw-37950-27910.jpg

oneraindog
06-02-2009, 05:02 PM
pict in the vid you say you use the machete in pennsylvania. is this to say the machete takes the place of an axe for you?

Pict
06-02-2009, 05:16 PM
pict in the vid you say you use the machete in pennsylvania. is this to say the machete takes the place of an axe for you?

Not entirely. In my experience the machete does not hold a candle to the axe in cold weather when an axe is needed to produce large amounts of firewood. In a pinch even a short machete like the 12 inch Ontario can be used to chop through large seasoned wood. The axe is the right tool for the job.

In the summer months you never need a large volume of firewood but you often have to clear vines and brush out of trails and campsites. I always carry a machete from spring to fall when I'm up here, never an axe as I feel they are just too limited.

I freely admit that my experience in Brazil has given me a bias towards the machete. I would rather have a machete in the summertime bush than any other blade and find that the 12 inch Ontario is plenty. Mac

welderguy
06-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Great Info thanks for the time you put into these videos.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
06-02-2009, 06:42 PM
exelent pict! the four edges aproach makes good sence. i use the same basic method for cutting and scrapeing with stone blades and axes. so you can apply those practices to other tools.