PDA

View Full Version : Salt

remy
06-26-2008, 01:52 AM
Natural salt (unrefined) is an essential element in our diet...other animals too, and even plants. Natural salt is a source of 21 essentials and 30 accessory minerals that are essential to our health.
The composition of an ocean salt crystal is so complicated that we cannot re-produce it in laboratories.

Salt is a vital substance for the survival of all living creatures, particularly humans. Water and salt regulate the water content of the body. Water itself regulates the water content of the interior of the cell by working its way into all of the cells it reaches. It has to get there to cleanse and extract the toxic wastes of cell metabolisms. Salt forces some water to stay outside the cells.
There are two oceans of water in the body; one ocean is held inside the cells, and the other ocean is held outside the cells. Good health depends on a most delicate balance between the volume of these oceans, and this balance is achieved by salt.
Some Quick facts...
- The people with the worst health drink the least water and use the most deadly diuretic "drought" causing drugs - caffeine and/or alcohol.
- The salinity of the water outside the cells in our bodies is the same as the ocean.
- In the middle ages people were put to a horrible death by salt deprivation.
- Health care makes big bucks by selling a quart of water with salt in it (Saline 4) for up to $350.00 installed, but won't tell the patients they do indeed need more water and salt in their diets.
- No two substances in the Bible are mentioned more than water and salt.
- The environment of an unborn baby is water and salt.
-Salt is most effective in stabilizing irregular heartbeats and, Contrary to the misconception that it causes high blood pressure, it is actually essential for the regulation of blood pressure - in conjunction with water. Naturally the proportions are critical.
-Salt is vital to the extraction of excess acidity from the cells in the body, particularly the brain cells.
-Salt is vital for balancing the sugar levels in the blood; a needed element in diabetics.
-Salt is vital for the generation of hydroelectric energy in cells in the body. It is used for local power generation at the sites of energy need by the cells.
-Salt is vital to the nerve cells' communication and information processing all the time that the brain cells work, from the moment of conception to death.?-Salt is vital for absorption of food particles through the intestinal tract.

tacmedic
06-26-2008, 10:22 AM
While the above may be true, it is not just simple table salt NaCl. You must include other salts as well. Potassium salts, calcium salts, magnesium salts, as a matter of fact salts are made anytime you combine an acid and a base. As Remy said, an appropriate balance is key.

trax
06-26-2008, 03:14 PM
what about summer salts?

jrock24
06-26-2008, 03:21 PM
I don't think most Americans need more salt in their diet, to much high blood pressure already.

Rick
06-26-2008, 03:34 PM
That's okay. Folks consider me the salt of the earth as it is.:rolleyes:

crashdive123
06-26-2008, 05:31 PM
And being retired Navy....guess I'm just an Old Salt.

jrock24
06-26-2008, 06:13 PM
I guess I took it wrong, my fault.

Rick
06-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Ooh. That would sort of be a salt fault, wouldn't it? Not trying to rub salt in any wounds, mind you.

RangerXanatos
06-26-2008, 08:59 PM
I have found the human body very interesting. In fact, I've taken extra courses in college just learn about the human body. All of the information that you brought into light about salt in our bodies is very interesting! Thanks!

On a side note, when I was in the High School Marching Band, we had black shirts that we had to wear. Well living in the south and marching for festival in the middle of the day, out in the sun, in thick and hot uniforms doesn't feel all that comfortable. When we were done, you could literally see the lines of salt on my shirt that I had sweated out. I had never seen that before. Needless to say, that was not a day I felt my best.

Daniel

Rick
06-27-2008, 06:40 AM
Ah yes. Marching bands. When I was in high school, our uniforms were wool. Great idea. Heavy wool in heat and high humidity. Leather soled shoes on asphalt parade routes. Those were the good old days. Pass the salt, please.

wareagle69
06-27-2008, 06:44 AM
and then one time in band camp.........

i think i actually need salt in my diet i do not put salt on anything and only drink water except for my morning coffee and milk in cereal allot of times i get wicked leg cramps in middle of the night althought interestingly enough only on left side which is my back injury side

nell67
06-27-2008, 06:54 AM
Maybe low in potassium WE,try eating bananas for a few days,and see if that helps.And drinking plenty of fluids through out the day.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/night-leg-cramps/AN00499

wareagle69
06-27-2008, 06:57 AM
i don't eat bannaers during spring and summer its a moskeeter thang

nell67
06-27-2008, 06:59 AM
i don't eat bannaers during spring and summer its a moskeeter thang

Then take a potassium supplement,try the fluids and see if that helps,could be just a little dehydrated.

wareagle69
06-27-2008, 07:04 AM
no i'm not dehydrated, one habbit i still have from pheonix is always carry water with me, i'm the only guy on the job site who has water in a canteen most guys go to the lunch trailer but they don't seem to drink much, i'm sure i get at least my eight glasses a day if not more, like i said its weird that it is only my left side i think the partial paralysis i sufferd for 6 weeks has done some permanent damage cuz although physically i feel good and healed up fine i always cramp on that side, thats why i was thinking maybe i do not get enough salt in my diet

trax
06-27-2008, 12:08 PM
Potatoes are a good source of potassium too. Or so I've been told, perhaps it was a marketing ploy by Spud..hmmm....

Rick
06-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Being fully hydrated at night is NOT a good thing. No sir. It takes too many trips to dehydrate.

Tony uk
06-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Sea salt mixed with water in a cup and then gargled is a great cure for a sore throat

crashdive123
06-27-2008, 01:54 PM
...and I've noticed that the older I get, the more I tend to make trips to dehydrate. Must be punishment by my kidneys and bladder from my youth with heavy consumption of beer and not making those trips.

wareagle69
06-27-2008, 02:26 PM
yes remy i stock pile course salt and table salt

warman87
07-06-2008, 05:39 PM
were is a good sorce for unrefined salt i dont live near the ocean?

Rick
07-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Naturally occurring salt is pretty common. You can find outcroppings of salt near creeks. Animals often use them as a natural salt lick.

Here is a lick to the major US deposit:

http://web.ead.anl.gov/saltcaverns/usdeposit/index.htm

warman87
07-10-2008, 04:08 PM
i heard somewere that its possible to get salt from a hickory tree is that true if so how?