PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Pocket Knives

Pict
06-24-2008, 06:13 PM
I was downtown today and I bought a pair of large slipjoints. I just couldn’t help myself. They are both made by Zebu of Barretos, Săo Paulo. I have really grown to love these traditional “Pica Fumo” style Brazilian pocket knives. They have stainless blades but take a really nice edge. They make a great companion to a machete.

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4753/img3692pn7.jpg

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/5855/img3696be4.jpg

It is very difficult to find a decent, nationally made small fixed blade knife in Brazil. The Zebu’s are solid workers; I use these for bushcraft tasks a lot. Mac

Zebu Website (http://www.zebubarretos.com.br/) (Portuguese)

crashdive123
06-24-2008, 06:27 PM
They look like good, functional, utility knives.

Pict
06-24-2008, 09:09 PM
I had a request somewhere else for a perspective shot.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/4848/img3700ll7.jpg

These are not polite little knives, they are big enough to get the job done. Mac

Ole WV Coot
06-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Nice shape for a working blade, no polish after the grind so I think I will make a fixed blade, high carbon with wooden handles just to give it a try. I could cut one out of an old 71/4 saw blade in a day or so, no heat treating so it would be just testing the blade shape.

Rick
06-25-2008, 06:16 AM
Coot - Wouldn't the saw blade have been heat treated during manufacture? I don't make knives so I don't know. Perhaps it needs to be done again. Just a thought.

Ole WV Coot
06-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Coot - Wouldn't the saw blade have been heat treated during manufacture? I don't make knives so I don't know. Perhaps it needs to be done again. Just a thought.

You're right Rick, the old saw blade isn't carbide tipped so it's almost the same from tip to center hole. The trick, if you want to call it one is to keep the steel cool, just warm to the hand while cutting and for a small one like this I will cut it out with a rotary tool using a fiber disc always keeping it cool with water. I may use a sanding belt but those look like they were done with a stone. Either way you go the trick is not to heat or burn the steel. Draw filing removes lots of steel and using a file guide set at the angle I estimate after marking the grind line on the blade will work also. Done correctly like I said will work fine. It won't be a work of art, but it will be the same shape, grind and sharp without any heat treating at all. One of my grandsons wants a different looking hunting knife. I almost have it finished, he wanted what he considered was some type of Native American handle, wide skinning blade, pocket sheath. I cut this out of an auto spring with an angle grinder, shaped the blade got it about 80% then I did have to heat treat. I will post a pic of a couple I made for him. Lots of hand labor, time, even baby oil for the finish. His "Indian" handle is finished with 3 tubes of super glue and is now coated with mustard, the blade that is. Next project will be a bowie for my oldest, I built my own forge but it's too small for the Bowie. Just waiting for the ole arm to heal.:D

dragonjimm
06-27-2008, 07:37 PM
know any where outside brazil you can get these?

crashdive123
06-27-2008, 08:02 PM
I typed Zebu of Barretos into Google. All of the info that came back was in Portugese. Guess we'll have to wait for Mac.

Pict
06-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Sorry, don't mean to be a tease but I don't know if anyone is importing them to the US. Mac

dragonjimm
06-28-2008, 12:06 AM
thats all right i'm used to it.....;)

Gray Wolf
07-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Sorry, don't mean to be a tease but I don't know if anyone is importing them to the US. Mac

Mac, how much were they in US $'s ? Also what kind of steel are they made of?

rebel
07-06-2008, 11:30 PM
I "contato" the zebu factory to see where they sell their knives? I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Gray Wolf
07-20-2008, 11:27 PM
I "contato" the zebu factory to see where they sell their knives? I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Any info yet?