PDA

View Full Version : Harvesting Seeds

crashdive123
06-24-2008, 11:43 AM
So you’ve grown a great batch of something in your garden. Do you buy your seeds, or harvest them from what you’ve grown?

Since Heirloom Tomatoes are self pollinating, if you harvest the seeds you will get an identical crop when you re-plant.

http://prosites-debbieoo.homestead.com/saving_growing_tomato_seeds.html

Here’s some other methods for harvesting from different plants.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/M1226.html

Rick
06-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Good stuff, Crash! I pulled out some watermelon seeds from a store bought watermelon just last night. The melon might have been a hybrid for all I know but I'm going to try and save the seeds.

Ole WV Coot
06-24-2008, 12:54 PM
You just said the magic word hybrid. It's easy enough to save seeds and plant a few in an egg carton to check them out. You can pick 2 melons from the same bin(don't know why the #2 came out), anyway one may be a hybrid so you need to check out them all.

canid
06-25-2008, 01:28 AM
most hybrid plants will produce viable seed [if in some cases with only with low viability/germination rate]. the belief that they don't is a gross generalization, as much hybridization is done between sufficiently close species, or more commonly between different cultivars of the same species. it's always worth trying. for that matter, i've started quite a few plants from my spice cabinet, such as crushed red chilies, bread seed poppies, etc.

Rick
06-25-2008, 06:07 AM
Now there's a thought! Many of the spices are seeds and I had never thought about germinating them! Spices, multi-use. I love it. Thanks!!!!!

bulrush
06-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Some fruits they irradiate to get rid of bacteria and stuff, and that kills the seeds.

Anyway, last year I planted cuke seeds and saved one cuke to use the seeds this year. None of the seeds came up although I did keep the cuke outside all winter.

Rick
06-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Even if it had produced, if it was a hybrid there is no guarantee the resulting fruit would have been as good in quality as the parent. I'm taking that chance right now on some watermelon seeds of unknown origin.

Ole WV Coot
06-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Thanks Canid, didn't know that or did and forgot which is possible. I don't remember much about those 4yrs of vocational agriculture I took but sometimes something seeps back in. I guess this year may be patio gardening(testing). Herbs, spices tomatoes etc until this darn shoulder heals.