PDA

View Full Version : 100 CD stack cover = water saver

bulrush
06-23-2008, 12:30 PM
At my company we sometimes use CDs, so we buy them in stacks of 100. Each stack has a tube-shaped cover. Well, this looks just like a bucket. So I inverted it, so open side is up, cut off the bottom (was top), and put it around my tomato plants, and pushed it 1 inch down into the soil. Now when I water, the water stays with the plant and goes deep to the roots.

It's a great way to save water and prevent cutworms.

Picture here:
http://s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/wootsaleimages/Color_Labs_52x_CD-R_100_Pack_with_SpindleinfDetail.jpg

crashdive123
06-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Nice idea, thanks. Pobably helps keep the smaller critters away too.

bulrush
06-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Usually I make a ring of dirt around each plant to hold the water in but this washes away each time it rains. The plastic things help a lot.

I also use the CD stack covers to organizer junk in my garage.

Rick
06-23-2008, 03:42 PM
I'm surprised you guys have cut worms that far north. I thought that was just a southern ailment. I used to wrap my plants in newspaper before planting them...when I was in Illinois. The local Farm Bureau looked at me like I was crazy when I asked them about cut worms in Indiana. "Don't have 'em around here." he said. I've just stuck the plants in the ground the last 10 years and I've never had a problem.