PDA

View Full Version : Safari to Africa

stella7
02-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Any body ever been to Africa?I would like to go for safari in kenya and tanzania.Can anybody advise me on where to start from?

Chris
02-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Go to the Ngorongoro crater in Tanzania, it is a protected wildlife refuge. My parents have been there and my brother lived there for a time.

You'd fly into Dar es Salaam, the capital, and proceed from there.

That being said, Africa is extremely dangerous. I cannot count the number of times my brother was robbed while living there.

arppt01
02-20-2007, 05:00 PM
I have also heard some unpleasant experiences about Africa. Well it's not that you have risks at every step but like any new place you should be careful.

vicki2
02-21-2007, 10:05 AM
I've been on safari in both Kenya and Tanzania, and while it is a wonderful experience and the guides/lodges take efforts to look after you, there's still a certain amount of risk. For my money, dealing with Nairobi is the diciest.

Since it's your first time, I would recommend searching out reputable companies to book through.

rubybeetle
02-22-2007, 02:19 AM
Reading these posts made me wonder which is the bigger threat--people or animals. :confused:

Minwaabi
02-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Reading these posts made me wonder which is the bigger threat--people or animals. :confused:

In most situations... People.

vicki2
02-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Yup... I agree. Common sense and awareness can pretty much get you through dealing with animals, but there are a lot of people who have agendas that have nothing to do with either common sense or awareness of others.
Feed 'em to the lions! LOL.

tater03
02-22-2007, 12:50 PM
What exactly do you need to fear from the people. I mean are there alot of murders or robberies or something like that?

Bowcatz
02-22-2007, 04:34 PM
I guess going to Africa is a lot like going into a post-Katrina situation in New Orleans' Ward 9. Lots of crime and murders. Here in Jackson, MS, the outlaws have gone to burning their victims up behind buildings. I've known several people murdered by the local criminal element, so I rarely go out after dark anymore. When I do, I am armed heavily.

If you don't have a professional guide in Africa and a few personal weapons, you'll be robbed for sure. Warlords pretty much rule Africa the way drug lords rule larger cities, from what I hear on the news. And the drug trafficking trade makes the nation incredibly dangerous. If you want a hot climate to hunt in, come on down south. If you can't handle the Deep South in summer, you probably won't be able to handle Africa. And none of those painful series of shots to take either, if you stay in the USA.

Stella, if you are a female and an American, over in Africa, you will be considered property. Your equal rights status here in the USA is dumped the minute you touch African soil. I've heard stories from guys who work on the oil rigs off the African coast lines about the shabby ways women are treated in Africa and the slave trade that still exists there traffics a lot of women for immoral purposes (you know what I mean if you are older than sixteen years old.) Keeping it G-rated here.

If you do go to Africa, stay with the better hunting lodges and stay with large groups of people (especially men) for protection. And stay armed at all times. Kidnapping of Americans for ransom is very popular over there. One of my neighbors use to work offshore in Africa and his oil company employer would not allow him off the company compound for fear of kidnapping when he wasn't on the rig.

Minwaabi
02-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Its sad but she's right (Bowcatz I mean). Unfortunately most Americans have no clue what is going on in the rest of the world because most of us have cushy lives and have grown complacent and uncaring. Be very careful over there.

Tony uk
07-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Please Stop Spamming LiL' bunny fufu

bear
07-21-2007, 07:11 AM
Please Stop Spamming LiL' bunny fufuI agree. It is starting to get a little old. This is a good forum with alot of good questions and answers. Lets please keep it that way. bear