PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on water/hiking shoes please...

Xplosive22
08-01-2007, 10:29 PM
I just bought a pair of Merrell sport water shoes that I intend to use for warm weather hikes where I will most likely encounter a lot of water. I can't decide whether or not they will be good all-around for my purpose. I have couple of concerns and maybe some of you with more experience in tropical and mucky environments can't enlighten me.

Here is the shoe. http://www.rei.com/product/719963?vcat=REI_SSHP_FOOTWEAR_TOC

Since it is mesh I am concerned with getting mud and small debris inside. It looks like it will evacuate water easily but if the ground is muddy then it seems like it wouldn't function well to keep it out. The other thing is that it doesn't have any ankle support which can be troublesome on long walks.

Has anyone else experienced using this type of shoe and had trouble with it? I want something that can take on water and not act as a sponge like most cushioned hiking shoes do.

Strider
08-01-2007, 10:43 PM
I got some mesh shoes a few summers ago. They were ok, and kept my feet nice and aired out... but, like you said, it is a lot easier for junk to get inside... I think they're ok, but for walking thru marsh or mud or something like that, well... :D

Xplosive22
08-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Haha. My sentiments exactly. I haven't tried them yet, but I figure a situation like that might present a problem. Is there any other type of shoe or the same type but a different brand that you could recommend?

I guess another solution is to carry a pair of hardcore hiking boots and just changing but that isn't always practical.

Strider
08-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Well, I have some Cherokee waterproof boots that work pretty well... their just plain, nothing special. Also, I know that something like Earth shoes, or earthenware... something... makes shoes that last forever... I once had a pair that didn't wear out but had to get rid of them cause they were too small! They make excellent shoes... someone like that... :)