PDA

View Full Version : Matches dipped in nail polish

Arkansas_Ranger
06-20-2008, 10:33 PM
I was reading a magazine last night, and saw a "thing" about dipping matches in nail polish rather than wax to water proof them. Being unsure if anyone else had ever heard of this, since I hadn't, I thought I'd post the idea. This keeps the match strike "thing" clean of wax too.

*Note: I've never tried this. Sounds good though.

Ridge Wolf
06-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Well, nail polish is flammable. More so than wax. Although I haven't done it that way either. Hmm, where's my daughter's nail polish?

Well, I'll vote with those who have tried it. I use regular wood kitchen matches btw and replace them if they show signs of deterioration. test them often.

I found some at Wally World and bought every box they had on the shelf, so have a good supply of them now. I knew 'somebody' was shipping them out despite the hazardous element.

crashdive123
06-20-2008, 11:01 PM
I've used nail polish in the past. I prefer wax. In addition to water proofing them, it causes them to burn quite a bit longer than just a plain match. I found that the nail polish, while it worked tended to decrease the burn time. If it's damp outside, I prefer the longer burn time.

RobertRogers
06-21-2008, 06:30 PM
I agree with crash.

Sarge47
06-21-2008, 09:47 PM
I've used nail polish in the past, but couldn't find a color that'd match my Survival Knife.:rolleyes: It water-proofs the matches okay, but I've never checked out the "burn time" that Crash mentions. Since reading his post, think I'll stick to wax.:cool:

Arkansas_Ranger
06-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Okey dokey. Just passing it on. I think the article was in Outdoor Life or Field & Stream.

crashdive123
06-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Okey dokey. Just passing it on. I think the article was in Outdoor Life or Field & Stream.

It's always good to share stuff. Many may have not seen or heard of the idea before.

Ole WV Coot
06-23-2008, 01:12 AM
Wax works. I dip the whole thing. Now this nail polish dipping is it just the match head or the whole match that is dipped? I must confess I haven't bought any nail polish lately, still have some for chiggers somewhere. Rotor cup is almost healed and I need to start loading the ATV & trailer.

crashdive123
06-23-2008, 06:22 AM
When I have use the nail polish, I just dipped the head (about 3/4"). Some do it with wax the same way. I prefer to dip the entire match with wax. If you only dip the head and the matchstick gets wet it could wick up to the head. I have taken the fully dipped matches and put them in a glass of water overnight - wiped them off, removed the wax from the head, and lit them.

Ole WV Coot
06-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Thanks,I will stick with the wax, sounds like one would have to dip the whole match or most of it in polish. That sounds like a pain and long drying time.

crashdive123
06-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks,I will stick with the wax, sounds like one would have to dip the whole match or most of it in polish. That sounds like a pain and long drying time.

....and if you use the wrong color the others will whisper about you behind your back.

jrock24
06-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Why not buy waterproof matches?

Rick
06-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Cost. You can take strike anywhere matches and turn them into water proof matches in about 15 minutes of work.

crashdive123
06-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Why not buy waterproof matches?

As Rick said cost, and IMO when I coat them in wax they are better than the "store bought" ones.

Ole WV Coot
06-23-2008, 08:54 PM
You left out the main reason, we are just plain cheap. Had to have grease fittings installed in my knees to sneak thru the woods.

jrock24
06-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Ok, I have never had to buy any. I get a box every year for Xmas.

Rick
06-24-2008, 01:09 PM
I'm with you, Coot. Grease nipples are a lot cheaper than those so called sealed knee joints. They do hang up on the pants a bit, though.