PDA

View Full Version : Trapping Osama.

Ridge Wolf
06-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Now, I have trapped moles before. I know how to do it. While this post has nothing to do with outdoor survival, it does have something to do with the survival of my garden. I have a fairly large garden this year and we want to harvest as much as we can from it. I have a mole that I have been looking for going on about 4 years now. I have even named him Osama the Mole as he continues to evade capture. Maybe I have several Osamas, I don't know. He is back again this year and wreaking havoc with the root systems of my veggies.

I was wondering if there were any other sure fire ways to get him, other than the claw traps that I have set out? And yes, I have looked on the internet. Thanks.

Sam Reeves
06-19-2008, 08:52 PM
My cousin used to have a Beagle that caught moles. I doubt he would do much for the root systems of your garden whilst in pursuit of said rodents, though.

http://www.gotpetsonline.com/pictures-gallery/dog-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/beagle-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/pictures/beagle-0580.jpg

crashdive123
06-19-2008, 08:56 PM
I have had a lot of success with mole peanuts. When you find mole tunnels, lightly pat them down. If they are built back up the next day, they are a frequently traveled tunnel. Place some of the peanuts in these tunnels - just follow the directions on the container. http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Sweeney_s_Original_Poison_Peanuts_Mole_Gopher_Bait _II I bought mine at an Ace Hardware, not on this site.

crashdive123
06-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Cool looking dog Sam.

Ridge Wolf
06-19-2008, 11:58 PM
I'll try that Crash if I don't have any luck this time with the spring traps. Thanks. :D

Rick
06-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Ridge, I don't have too much trouble with moles but on occasion they do show up. I use a Victor Mole Trap Model 0645. From your description above probably the same or similar. I pat down the run as Crash said and look for the active runs. That's where I place my trap. I've never NOT killed one.

It's not just the plant roots they damage, they are looking for grubs and earthworms, their primary meal. So your little earthworm garden aerators are getting eaten.

For the grubs, you can get rid of them with milky spore powder. It's a naturally occurring spore that kills the grub but doesn't harm plants, pets or people.

Why worry about the grubs, because if you get rid of the food source the moles will look elsewhere and stay out of the garden.

Hope that helps!

Ridge Wolf
06-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Ridge, I don't have too much trouble with moles but on occasion they do show up. I use a Victor Mole Trap Model 0645. From your description above probably the same or similar. I pat down the run as Crash said and look for the active runs. That's where I place my trap. I've never NOT killed one.

It's not just the plant roots they damage, they are looking for grubs and earthworms, their primary meal. So your little earthworm garden aerators are getting eaten.

For the grubs, you can get rid of them with milky spore powder. It's a naturally occurring spore that kills the grub but doesn't harm plants, pets or people.

Why worry about the grubs, because if you get rid of the food source the moles will look elsewhere and stay out of the garden.

Hope that helps!

Their food foraging tunnels are too deep to be noticable here in the northwest, heavily laden clay soil. How I set my traps is that I go to their vent hole at the surface and poke around it with a long handled screwdriver. Where the shank goes in easiest is the tunnel and that varies from four to six inches deep. I then follow the tunnel by poking back a little ways from the hole/mound and dig out a square into the tunnel and set my trap, then covering it with a plywood box I have made up to keep it dark. I have caught them before using that method but I can't see where their tunnels are as they are just too deep.

I've got to get some grub and insect killer to spread over the yard. I think their main nest is deep under the garden shed or the house or cement slab for the garage. I've tried flooding them out, doesn't work. I have some powder I can put down the hole into the tunnel but I can only get it so far down. That powder irritates their skin, it has ground up cayenne pepper in it. But I haven't had any luck with that either. I'll eventually get him, I just need to persevere. He has been around so long now that I have named him Osama because he is hiding in caves and can't be found. Grrrr! Or they? might be grandkids.

Ridge Wolf
06-23-2008, 10:22 PM
My cousin used to have a Beagle that caught moles. I doubt he would do much for the root systems of your garden whilst in pursuit of said rodents, though.

http://www.gotpetsonline.com/pictures-gallery/dog-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/beagle-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/pictures/beagle-0580.jpg

I got a Brittany. She doesn't do moles. :D

crashdive123
06-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Ridge - one thing you can try to get them closer to the surface (thereby possibly identifying their main tunnels) is to spray a mixture of dishsoap (about 1-2 ounces) and water (2 gallons) and spray it in the areas where you suspect activity. This mixture will cause many of your lawn insects to become more active at the surface. Moles should follow the food source.

BraggSurvivor
06-24-2008, 07:01 PM
I pepper spray the holes around here. Seems to work for awhile and doesn't harm other animal. Cheap too.

Ridge Wolf
06-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Ridge - one thing you can try to get them closer to the surface (thereby possibly identifying their main tunnels) is to spray a mixture of dishsoap (about 1-2 ounces) and water (2 gallons) and spray it in the areas where you suspect activity. This mixture will cause many of your lawn insects to become more active at the surface. Moles should follow the food source.

That little of an amount? I assume to water it in well. What if I use more than two ounces?

Ridge Wolf
06-24-2008, 09:35 PM
I pepper spray the holes around here. Seems to work for awhile and doesn't harm other animal. Cheap too.

I got some 'Uncle Ian's Mole and Gopher Repellent'. It has Blood Meal 89% and 11% inert ingredients and that includes chili powder. Down the hole it goes, and a ring around it. repeat once a week. Re-apply if it rains. Hmm, I'll do that because I may have not put the trap in his main tunnel and don't know where that is. I'll see if this works. Probably the same effects as pepper spray.

bulrush
06-25-2008, 08:11 AM
I hear Juicy Fruit gum will kill them. Place a little in an active run. When they eat it, it will clog up their pipes and they starve to death. Some people swear by it.

Ridge Wolf
06-29-2008, 12:15 AM
I got him!!! I finally got Osama the Mole!! Persistance paid off along with my trusty (and rusty) spring claw trap. Oh, it is time to celebrate!! It has been a long time coming. Osama is dead, much to his dread, snapped him right behind his head, now Osama is dead.:D:D:D:D

crashdive123
06-29-2008, 06:53 AM
Congratulations. Now all ya gotta worry about are his blind followers.

Rick
06-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Just be prepared for the hordes that will come to the wake.

Ridge Wolf
06-29-2008, 03:56 PM
I am waiting for them. with rusty and trusty claw traps.