PDA

View Full Version : What leatherman do you use???

NS0201
06-19-2008, 09:35 AM
What leatherman you use???

What's one you looking to buy???

I own the wave...

Gray Wolf
06-19-2008, 10:16 AM
The WAVE. I've owned each generation. I still keep the retired ones in a draw. For my needs it's the best multi-tool out there for the money.

Icemancometh
06-19-2008, 10:19 PM
I routinely use my original Supertool. Also have a Supertool 200, Blast, original Leatherman, as well as several Gerbers. Leathermans are by far my first choice.

Ridge Wolf
06-20-2008, 12:01 AM
The WAVE. I've owned each generation. I still keep the retired ones in a draw. For my needs it's the best multi-tool out there for the money.

Yep. I got one too.. bought another one for my dad. (so he can do the wave too.) :D

crashdive123
06-20-2008, 06:27 AM
Leatherman Wave, Micro, and several off-brand (large and small).

trax
06-20-2008, 12:56 PM
I don't much care for 'multi-tools' I carry a knife and if I'm out on the trails I can slip a small needle nose pliers in my back pocket before I go. I don't much care for Swiss Army knives either for that matter, or Swiss cheese now that I think about it and that dam* incessant yodelling makes me nuts--#$@@!!$# Switzerland! (whoops I digressed)

Pict
06-20-2008, 01:37 PM
I carry a WAVE but really only use it around my house and around my car. It has gotten me moving again quite often. I don't miss a multi-tool at all in the bush, but if I was in the bush with an ATV or outboard motor I'd carry it for sure.

As luck would have it, I actually have a Leatherman video. Not a how-to at all just a clip I had on hand of a "Leatherman Save". VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyiNOV-_myo) Its a short vid. Mac

Rick
06-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Can you say Rip the dang wiper off the car, throw it on the ground and stomp on. Pick it up and bend it beyond recognition then throw it back down on the ground? I knew you could.

""What the hell you doin' with that lawnmower blade?" "I aim to kill you with it.""

One of the best movies ever, IMHO. Sling Blade! I've never seen Billy Bob change so much for a movie. Incredible acting! "Uh, huh."

RobertRogers
06-20-2008, 02:25 PM
The wave. Carry it wherever I go

klkak
06-20-2008, 03:46 PM
I carry a Super Tool 2000. I bought it when they first hit the market. I've had Leatherman repair the pliers 3 times. "guess I don't know my own strength"

Sam Reeves
06-20-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm of the school of thought that a Leatherman is best as a conservation piece. The blade and tools are sub-standard at best.

I'm overly partial to Klein pliers. The Linesman's commonly double as a hammer. I carry a Buck folder with half of the blade serrated for prying on things and cutting ropes. I keep a super sharp little Oldtimer for that all important task of digging that dang Briar out of the side of my thumb. Something with a gut hook if I'm hunting.

Arkansas_Ranger
06-20-2008, 04:42 PM
I'm 26 years old and was given the Leatherman SuperTool on my 17th birthday. It's lasted quite well although I don't carry it on or with me everyday. When I was 18 or so and working at the local hunting and outdoor supply store I purchased the Micro. The "springy system" in it didn't last long.

bladefrenzy
06-20-2008, 04:48 PM
I gave my Wave to my wife for her kit when I got a Charge. I also have a old original Leatherman as well. But I want a Surge for work, the replaceable saw blade would be a big help for me.

Assassin Pilot
06-20-2008, 08:11 PM
I got the new skeletool. Pretty useful around the garage, but not outside. I made some other long post in some other thread explaining why.

ATough
06-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Leatherman wave, and the micra.

Mountaintrekker
06-20-2008, 11:57 PM
I have carried my Wave for 5 years now. It has saved my bacon several times with repairing chainsaws, my truck, odds and ends and chicks dig it! :D
My woman carries a Juice (the blue one) yes, she was one of the chicks who dug it.
I like carrying mine out in the bush in addition to my Mora or Rat5. I can fix gear, hold a hot pot or pan, repair or take down my guns, take embedded hooks out of fish or me etc. makes improvising with materials you find along the way easier too!

klkak
06-21-2008, 01:30 PM
I gave my Wave to my wife for her kit when I got a Charge. I also have a old original Leatherman as well. But I want a Surge for work, the replaceable saw blade would be a big help for me.

I have one. It is twice the size and weight of a Supertool 2000. I carried it for a couple of days then went back to the Supertool 2000. The replaceable saw blade thing is kinda chintzy.

ATough
06-22-2008, 11:42 PM
I'm looking into getting a Skeletool CX, has anyone used this before?

Ole WV Coot
06-23-2008, 01:03 AM
I personally don't care for them. I have an old Leatherman in the truck console, why I don't know. I too am partial to Klein tools and have all I need in the car, truck, ATV & workshop. The company I retired from furnished Klein everything for years, now you have to pick the stuff to see where it's made. I pretty well could use a pair of Klein linesman plairs for most anything. They furnished Chinese junk for years, got so bad when I retired I didn't take my tools(had a few decent tools after 32yrs). I do carry a SAK and like it. For cutters, needle nose, screwdrivers I have Klein that don't take up much more room and any Leatherman or other tool that has a decent Phillips head built in I would try again.

Kankujoe
06-23-2008, 03:23 AM
I use the Wave or Micra.

dilligaf2u2
06-23-2008, 05:08 PM
I have a Supper Tool and a Crunch and a CRKT Guppie.

The ST is a EDC item with me. The Crunch is nice to have around for the house hold repairs.

The Guppy is a toy and unless you want to carry a heave 4" cresent wrench it is not all that useful. I got it and am trying to get to like it but I can see my 4" cresent wrench going back on my hip.

Don

vegasrandall
09-09-2008, 07:06 PM
the crunch model rules,visegrips and a socket for allen head and spline drivers.I use mine everyday

sobeit
09-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Ive got a Kick with a belt clip I and an original that I keep in the truck

sh4d0wm4573ri7
09-10-2008, 09:32 PM
I use the original, the wave, and the micra

sgtdraino
09-10-2008, 11:20 PM
I have a Supper Tool and a Crunch and a CRKT Guppie.

the crunch model rules,visegrips and a socket for allen head and spline drivers.I use mine everyday

I was wondering when someone was going to mention the crunch! I like the crunch, it is probably the Leatherman brand tool I use the most, followed by the micra. I have a supertool, but I tend to prefer my Victorinox SwissTool Spirit, or even my conventional Swiss Champ.

HaroldB
09-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Tried the Leatherman, much prefer the Gerber 400 model.

Gray Wolf
09-26-2008, 11:20 PM
Tried the Leatherman, much prefer the Gerber 400 model.

Did you try the Leatherman Wave?

chiye tanka
09-28-2008, 01:40 AM
Wave, Core, Surge, Micra, Squirt, and original Super Tool. I only bought the Micra, the rest were all gifts.

scabbyota
09-28-2008, 04:09 AM
I carry the super tool the most.

Deer Sniper
10-06-2008, 02:32 AM
I still have the same original leatherman I have had since way back in the early 90's. It says "LEATHERMAN TOOL PORTLAND OR" on both sides. I cant find a serial# anywhere on it. Wear it every day to work. :)

laughing beetle
10-06-2008, 03:18 AM
Never bothered with one. I like a fixed blade (Buck), a seperate folding blade (serated, Wal-mart special) and have a pair of needlenose pliers in my kit. It's all I have ever needed. I do carry a folding campsaw as well, sometimes. It depends on what I am up to.

Rick
10-06-2008, 05:43 AM
This is a bit different type of multi tool but thought it might be of interest to some. Might be a handy tool for the snow mobile/ATV tool kit.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/gear-shops/tools-shop/tools/82303.aspx?feature=product_145

laughing beetle
10-06-2008, 06:04 AM
Now that's a multi tool I could use. I spend an awful lot of time under the car, fixing whatever decided to peeve me off this time. Could be pretty nasty in self defence too.

AVENGED
11-08-2008, 10:26 PM
I Carry An SOG Multitool, Its So Worn On The Sides I Have No Idea What Model. I Also Mainly Use A Schrade Tough Tool. I've Had It For 10+ Years And Its Never Let Me Down.

tsitenha
11-09-2008, 07:11 PM
I have a first generation Gerber, still going strong but it stays in the pack, not a knife replacement.

marberry
11-09-2008, 10:14 PM
my dad bought me the 2ns generation wave for christmas 6 years ago , after 2 years i lost it. then i bought a Tti (the titanium one with s30v steel blades) which i used for a year before my brother offered me $20 less then i paid for it. iv been using the original leatherman 'tool' that my dad used in the north BC bush when he was a surveyor since then. and for its having been used heavily for 2 decades its in near perfect condition.

FVR
11-09-2008, 11:11 PM
I have one, got it about two months back. Co. I work for had their 30th something anniversary, had a choice between clothes and the Leatherman. Of course I picked the Leatherman. It's a basic model, and I use it all the time.

It can get you into trouble. I do alot of elec. work, don't use a Leatherman because you have it on your side, go get an approved elec. screwdriver. One mistake can fry your arse.

Other than that, I carry it everyday. Thinking of getting a really nice brown leather sheath for it and can the one that came with it. It took me long enough to get one, hey, I was not going to buy a piece of junk and these things are pretty pricy.

tonester
11-10-2008, 03:05 AM
i dont own one yet but i really want to get one. theres been a few times where i really could have used a multi-tool. ive been looking at a leatherman fuse. it looks like it has all the basic tools and has a really good price. what do you guys think? anyone familiar with the fuse?

S.E.R.E Guy
11-10-2008, 05:23 PM
The wave as well. its decent for skinning small game, making tinder and for improvising some things. but i mostly use my fixed blade