PDA

View Full Version : Maybe its not my place, but...

Fog_Harbor
08-01-2007, 08:41 PM
I wonder if we stray from the intent of the forum sometimes. What I mean is this; some neophyte outdoorsy type comes here to ask for advice, which we are more than happy to dispense...

But here's where we go awry - We start offering equipment advise and opinions about different types of things, and different methods of doing things. The point is, we are here (or at least I am) to discuss survival - not camping. If you have that much equipment with you its not a survival situation, it's just plain camping (Ironman camping, I'll grant you).

To me, it becomes survival when you lose that $90.00 canteen/filter set, or when your $200.00 knife ends up at the bottom of the lake with the rest of your stuff (happened to me).

It kind of came to me in the purifying water thread, where numerous methods were discussed, most of which are fine and good advise. But then inevitably, some clown gets in there and starts shooting holes in everyone else's reply. I've done it myself, and few people in here haven't. Like 'boiling doesn't kill all the bacteria' etc. (Not intending to pick on the poor guy, it was just the example that stuck in my head).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that in a survival situation, something is usually better than nothing, unless that something will kill you for sure. Most of us know that bad water will kill you, and that freezing to death ain't too cool either. Point is not the equipment you carry (except for your survival kit, which should never be out of arms reach from you), but the skills you need to survive without it.

Someone let me know if Im out of line on this.

spiritman
08-01-2007, 08:57 PM
I agree that we do get off subject a lot, but I don't have a problem with it. we are here to talk, and have a section where we "discuss anything but politics and religion". I like to hear everyones opinions on things and here it's with ppl who have common interests, in their own variations. For example, marcraft and i would probably never go test our skills together and not because we live so far apart either. We just do things differently. I still like to hear what he has to say even though I tease him a little, but thats just ME. I give ppl a hard time. I can see where your coming from though, and if all I wanted to talk about was survival/bushcraft then I would probably get an itch between the shoulder blades. it's all good though, I bet other ppl totally agree with you.

Sarge47
08-01-2007, 09:05 PM
I wonder if we stray from the intent of the forum sometimes. What I mean is this; some neophyte outdoorsy type comes here to ask for advice, which we are more than happy to dispense...

But here's where we go awry - We start offering equipment advise and opinions about different types of things, and different methods of doing things. The point is, we are here (or at least I am) to discuss survival - not camping. If you have that much equipment with you its not a survival situation, it's just plain camping (Ironman camping, I'll grant you).

To me, it becomes survival when you lose that $90.00 canteen/filter set, or when your $200.00 knife ends up at the bottom of the lake with the rest of your stuff (happened to me).

It kind of came to me in the purifying water thread, where numerous methods were discussed, most of which are fine and good advise. But then inevitably, some clown gets in there and starts shooting holes in everyone else's reply. I've done it myself, and few people in here haven't. Like 'boiling doesn't kill all the bacteria' etc. (Not intending to pick on the poor guy, it was just the example that stuck in my head).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that in a survival situation, something is usually better than nothing, unless that something will kill you for sure. Most of us know that bad water will kill you, and that freezing to death ain't too cool either. Point is not the equipment you carry (except for your survival kit, which should never be out of arms reach from you), but the skills you need to survive [I]without[I] it.

Someone let me know if Im out of line on this.

I don't think you're out of line at all, however, survival is oft-times a good camping trip gone awry for many reasons. I don't think it hurts to study good camping methods as I believe there's only so much one can say about survival in itself. I believe that very few, if any, of the people here will ever be involved in a true survival situation, except for Strider who seems to be a "survival magnet".:D The reason is that they will prepare themselves so well at the outset that the situation stands a very good chance of never going bad. In his book "Survival in the Outdoors", Byron Dalrymple explains how anyone who learns all they can about the outdoors in the 1st place stands a lot better chance than the ones who didn't. I belong to a "Christian Leader's" forum also and let me just say that they shoot more holes in each others personal theology than what goes on here. Their reasoning is that "Iron sharpens iron and sparks will fly." I'll shut-up now and let others speak their mind.

owl_girl
08-01-2007, 09:10 PM
I don’t think your out of line, its an opinion and your free to post it.
I love reading posts about how to do things without equipment, just using mother nature, those are some of my favorite. But I still like reading the other ones to. Personally I kind of like some of the equipment posts just because they might prevent me from getting into a survival situation. But your right that if your in a survival situation you probably don’t have that equipment. Though in some cases it could still be a survival situation even with it.

Fog_Harbor
08-01-2007, 09:37 PM
I agree with Sarge, if you're prepared enough, the chances of it turning dealy are greatly reduced - the whole reason were the sick-freak-ready-for-anything types we are.

trax
08-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Foggy, I don't think you're out of line, and I think there's far too much brand promotion. Further, I welcome everyone wishing to discuss it with me personally to stop by www.traxreallyexpensivesurvivalandcampinggear.com and buy all the really high end s##t I can possibly sell you. I promise the site will have endorsements from several retired SF military personnel and postings of lots of rugged scenery. Of course, bring a major credit card, it's 2007 people, how can you survive without one? :D :D :D

wareagle69
08-03-2007, 07:38 PM
i dont have the fogiest idea of what you mean we get off the topic like this one time when i was at band camp...

ZTGuy
08-04-2007, 09:20 PM
"Neophyte outdoorsy type"? "Clown"? Out of line? Nah:confused:

There are more tactful ways of getting your point across...........after all, you did ask.

tfisher
08-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Fog I think your post has merit, I enjoy both survival posts and new equipment type posts. But as you say I like the survival posts more.

FVR
08-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Ahh, I just read. Absorb some, let some pass.

FVR
08-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I got it now.

carcajou garou
08-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Knowing what to do is at least or more important as having equipment with you.
I prefer to have some modest mean of enhancing my chances for survival by having a small kit (EDC) with me.
The time and effort to produce fire after being drenched and in the first stages of hypothermia will be greatly reduced by having a butane lighter/ferro rod whatever and getting on with business.
Having the proper knowledge and practicle experience would in itself make you more aware of having a small kit with you.

FVR
08-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Nothing like falling monkeys. LOL.

HOP
08-06-2007, 08:12 PM
[I] have been wanting to ad to this thread but have had puting my thoughts in writing but here it goes.
I injoy practicing Wood craft much of which qualifies as survival technique, I try to practice some sort of primative technique when out rather just a day hike to the lake where I might use flint and steel to light my fire and boil water for a hot drink and on longer trips I might make a shelter or solar still but I think it is important to enjoy the trip so I will look forward to doing it again. There are so many senarios that it would be hard to prepare for them all so I practice and share on stuff I think is important and just injoy.