PDA

View Full Version : Dowsing

rebel
06-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Who among you is a water witch. I've tried and can't make it work.http://divining.suite101.com/article.cfm/dowsing

crashdive123
06-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Never tried.

Whitemagic
06-18-2008, 02:30 AM
Who among you is a water witch.URL="http://divining.suite101.com/article.cfm/dowsing"]http://divining.suite101.com/article.cfm/dowsing[/URL]

Is this forum a safe place for a person to claim an ability like that? I ask because such a claim on many internet forums would be to invite serious harassment.

Rick
06-18-2008, 06:48 AM
Whitemagic - You can make the claim that you sleep at night and get harassed from this bunch....but it's all in good fun. Sure you can. (he said just waiting to jump).

Why not go over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself?

Rebel - You poll is flawed, lad. You make the assumption that some folks actually believe it can work!!:eek::eek:

There's a thread on this if anyone is interested:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1702&highlight=dowsing

Ole WV Coot
06-18-2008, 07:02 AM
Here we go again. There was a thread on this not too long ago and as I said before IT WORKS I CAN LOCATE ELECTRICAL, WATER, GAS, TELEPHONE, etc. I made it thru the first one "Oh ye of little faith" and I will come thru this one. Some people can't find a cross on a church. Once again I will be ridiculed and scorned but I know it can be done and I can do it. Because you have had time to be enlightened apologies may be posted along with your positive comments.

crashdive123
06-18-2008, 07:05 AM
Have you tried it to find the pistol? I hear the knife ain't talking.

Rick
06-18-2008, 07:05 AM
This would be your scorn and ridicule post. I can find a cross on a church. Not all of them, mind you, but a few. The problem is it generally starts lightening and the wind blows hard when I get near one. I'm gonna try sneaking up on one next time.

I can generally do pretty good at dowsing if I use a cable locater and a shovel. Once I get it exposed I verify it by dowsing it. Works every time.:D

Riverrat
06-18-2008, 07:15 AM
Yep gotta agree with Ole Coot, have seen it done and have tried it, Had the alder twist in my hands and it is a weird feeling. I have seen it twist so hard in peoples hands as to peal the bark off.

Whitemagic
06-18-2008, 09:47 AM
OK, I will bite. Yes, I can. In falls in the realm of what I call "unconventional reality." Some people only believe in conventional reality, and some of us know that conventional reality is not all there is.

trax
06-18-2008, 10:03 AM
I think I'm probably familiar with unconventional reality, I know I'm kind of uncomfortable with most realities. You guys read Ol Coot's sig line before you all start any fights with him. If Coot says he can dowse, I say he can too.

canid
06-18-2008, 10:53 AM
it's ok, i also live in a world that doesn't always intersect consensus reality. i can't dows though, to my knowledge.

Sam
06-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Have you tried it to find the pistol? I hear the knife ain't talking.
nice Crash, lol

Sam
06-18-2008, 12:40 PM
OK, I will bite. Yes, I can. In falls in the realm of what I call "unconventional reality." Some people only believe in conventional reality, and some of us know that conventional reality is not all there is.

this place is the capitol of unconventional reality.;)

trax
06-18-2008, 12:54 PM
it's ok, i also live in a world that doesn't always intersect consensus reality. i can't dows though, to my knowledge.

I can browse and get drowsy, but dowse, actually I don't know I've never tried! Someone get me a forked stick!

Rick
06-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Nora and I both agree that reality isn't. So far, two out of two squirrels agree!

Gray Wolf
06-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Some people only believe in conventional reality, and some of us know that conventional reality is not all there is.

"I live not in dreams, but in contemplation of a reality that is perhaps the future." :D

wareagle69
06-18-2008, 07:07 PM
i tried it last year locating a water line in a front yard works like a charm, i used a coat hanger striaghtened out then cut in two pieces and make a 90 degree bend hold lightly..

Rick
06-18-2008, 07:22 PM
And you found it with the backhoe?

wareagle69
06-18-2008, 07:26 PM
back hoe aren't most? nope found it to avoid the back hoe had to dig the sewer

rebel
06-18-2008, 10:02 PM
That was a varied response.

I don't look at finding water as a belief.

Some have a knack for dowsing. It's an ancient practice.

Belief or not. Some have the ability and some don't.

It seems some aren't comfortable in their abilities. Why is that?

Rick
06-19-2008, 08:07 AM
What's the science behind it, Rebel? I've seen studies done that discount the claimed ability. I've seen guys dowse cables in the field and miss them by a lot (the machine didn't unfortunately). I've seen guys do it and be pretty close. Personally (IMHO) I think much has to do with odds rather than science. But if anyone can point me to a study that shows it works and why it works and I could be swayed. As it stands I'm not convinced it's anything more than good luck.

Having said that, I will concede some ground to dowsing water. Moisture and wood do interact and it's possible that some validity exists there. I'll even support that theory with a study:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/research/1281661.html

But I don't see any connection between wood and metal or plastic. So I'm still skeptical about power lines, sewer lines, water lines, etc.

Ole WV Coot
06-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Bite the bullet and admit it. You know it works and just because you can't you call it luck? Gotta do better than that. Call your local water company or a supplier and I bet that factory made, custom grip, extending wand "genuine" scientific dowsing equipment is for sale.

Rick
06-19-2008, 09:05 AM
All I'm asking is for someone to show me a study from a reputable group that demonstrates how it works. Bobby Joe's Center for Paranormal Research would NOT be a reputable group in my opinion. :D

And you're right. I can't do it. Wonder if that and the fire bow are related? Hmmm.

bulrush
06-19-2008, 10:37 AM
I think some people who can dowse make the mistake that everyone can do it. I don't think everyone can do it, I cannot do it. I think it's a rare gift and a few people can do it.

"Unconventional reality", simply put, is something that we observe is real, but we cannot explain it with current science. For example, we see that black holes are out there, we see their effects, but science only has theories on how they are formed and how they work.

Same thing goes with dowsing. Some people make fine money dowsing. Some people can dowse only water, some water, electrical lines, and plumbing, some can even dowse all that plus precious metals. If it didn't work they wouldn't be able to make it their full time job. There was a show that said a dowser did his job right 95% of the time. If you get above an 80% success rate, I'd say that's the real deal. You don't need a study to prove that to me. And I'm a skeptical, but reasonable person.

Black holes sucking in actual light? Now that's just crazy talk.

While I'm a believer, I just don't have the talent to dowse.

trax
06-19-2008, 12:06 PM
I think Remy's explanation is all wet.

Rick
06-19-2008, 01:32 PM
I had to go outside and try this. It actually worked pretty well. I picked up a birch limb out of the yard and pointed downward. I followed that thing right up to the house. I bent over and turned the handle on the faucet. Presto! Water!

crashdive123
06-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Alrighty then. That video made things perfectly clear.

Rick
06-19-2008, 05:39 PM
The moral of the story, kids is....uhm....It's a tale about....well......things that..uh...go wrong. See. And....Crash, you tell 'em.

crashdive123
06-19-2008, 05:42 PM
I was waiting for the gun to "go off" and hit the two that found water without dowsing.

trax
06-19-2008, 05:47 PM
The moral of the story, kids is....uhm....It's a tale about....well......things that..uh...go wrong. See. And....Crash, you tell 'em.

Thanks Rick, I thought that was it. Crash? Care to elaborate a little further?

Rick
06-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Well, it was in a foreign language and those subtitles could have been wrong. Perhaps that guy was using a dowsing tree.

crashdive123
06-19-2008, 05:55 PM
What?!?! You guys didn't see the correlation? Watch it again. You'll get it.

Rick
06-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Again? Do I have to? Oh, wait. I'll run it backwards. Maybe that will help.

trax
06-19-2008, 05:58 PM
I might have missed part when I went to get the popcorn out of the microwave, :confused: I guess I could sit through it again

Rick
06-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Okay, I ran it backwards and here's what I got out of it.

Some guy came back from the dead. That's was really freaky! He might have been a zombie, I'm not sure. In any case, he jumped up into a tree where to guys tried to sell him back his own land. The two guys left and went back home to fill in a hole with dirt.

Now here's the weird part. When you run it backwards the voices say, "Trax is King. Trax is King" over and over and the subtitles spell out Traxistan. Where Good Food and Good Lovin' Come Together. Specials Every Friday Night.

I have no idea.

flandersander
06-19-2008, 06:30 PM
So can anybody do it? I don't get what happens, you hold a stick and it points to water or powerlines or whatever?

crashdive123
06-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Sure. I think everybody here does it. I use it to find my keys.

Rick
06-19-2008, 06:35 PM
My wife used it once to find me but that's a really long story. Suffice it to say she already had a switch.

buttercup
06-19-2008, 08:13 PM
well, guys, I don't know if you will believe me but I can find water.
My husband cannot.
I have been able to since I was in my teen years. I honestly can . . . but I also see things that will happen before they happen, know when people are going to die suddenly and unexpected (sometimes) and other disturbing and unsettling things that make people look at me like a looney - so I don't broadcast it a lot. :(

Ole WV Coot
06-19-2008, 09:18 PM
I for one believe you. I can't see ahead so check ahead if you would please and see if Rick will leave the barn with a load of buckshot in his butt or rock salt, don't remember what I loaded first.

Ole WV Coot
06-19-2008, 09:22 PM
I think Remy's explanation is all wet.

I graduated the 3rd grade and I didn't understand any of that explanation. Would someone that made it thru the 5th grade please break it down in words I can understand please?:confused::confused:

Sam Reeves
06-19-2008, 10:05 PM
I can't but I've seen my grandfather do this several times. I have a lousily sense of direction but dear ol' Gramps had an excellent sense of direction. Coincidence?

Rick
06-20-2008, 07:47 AM
Coot - Water as in dowsing for ... "all wet". Get it? Water, all wet?

By the way, the most fearsome shotgun shell load is rock salt and cut up soybeans. Not only will the rock salt sting like all get out but the soybean will swell as it absorbs body fluid causing the wound to split. Never did that myself, you understand. But I've been told by those on the receiving end.......I mean, by good authority that it makes for a lousy week.

I'll be sure and use the secret telephone man knock if I stop by.;)

trax
06-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Rick, back off, Coot asked for someone who'd made it through 5th grade, bro.

Rick
06-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Pinky, Ring, Middle, Index, Thumb. Oh. I only went to the Index grade. Sorry.

trax
06-20-2008, 12:58 PM
I was going to explain all that to them but I waited for you, buddy. :)

crashdive123
06-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Must have missed the dowsing while I was dozing.

Rick
06-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Man! You too? Do you guys know how many videos I have to take BACK to the video store? Spoilers! I was even learning French so I didn't have to read the sub titles. AAaaarrrggggghhhh. Or in French, AAaaarrrggggghhhh.

crashdive123
06-20-2008, 04:24 PM
So kind of you to judge my feeble attempt at humor in the manner in which you did. It appears that along with dozing and dowsing, analysis of others should be on the list. Words, based on the words of others....interesting concept, the inaccuracies of which seem as though they could be limitless.

As far a juming on this thread without bringing any water to the discussion is an interesting way to look at this thread. I do believe in post #1 the question was - Who among you is a water witch? My first respone in this thread (see post #2) was that I had not tried it.

The movie - seemed interesting - I would've watched more if there had been more. I think you would find another movie very interesting "King of Hearts" (I do not say this because it is a French language movie, but rather one that you would enjoy).

Rick
06-20-2008, 07:03 PM
We are the kings of farts...

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

http://www.xoospace.com/myspace/network/24801.jpg

Ole WV Coot
06-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Remy I couldn't take anything personal if I don't understand it to begin with. When I go to the Dr he tells me to sit in the corner until he reads the results of tests and then he breaks it down into English that I can understand. I am thankful he is a personal friend that loves to hunt and go 4 wheeling with me. I just know it works for me so I won't cram my poor brain with confusing details.

Rick
06-20-2008, 08:25 PM
I can go hunting with you if you want...

I'd really like to watch that but from a safe distance, please.

Sam Reeves
06-20-2008, 08:34 PM
I'd really like to watch that but from a safe distance, please.

I already know what the outcome of that would be so I reckon I'd just as soon skip that little trip.

crashdive123
06-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Remy - in all seriousness - have you seen the movie King of Hearts? Came out in the 60's, may have been re-made into Englsh.

crashdive123
06-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Yeah I did like it. Seems like it relates to many of the discussions on this forum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_Hearts_(1966_film)

crashdive123
06-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Seems like sometimes the inmates are running the asylum.

Ole WV Coot
06-20-2008, 09:28 PM
It's like me telling you in plain english mind you...you have schizoid personality disorder criterion A1.
I can go hunting with you if you want...

Well I looked that up and it would appear to mean it wouldn't be very wise to even get close to a person with that disorder. It would also mean a person making that statement isn't intelligent enough to understand the mentality of an elderly man from Eastern KY and many other places. CA is a great liberal place for people of your mindset. I was truly fond of LA diversity the "welcome home" in the '60 and now homosexual marriage?? I will stay in "these hills" and if God, Country & family aren't your priorities you and I are both where we should be. There are men more demented than me and we have the same priorities. We have nothing to prove and I can guarantee any of us Rednecks, when confronted won't hesitate to explain our way of life. The only problem, our philosophy can't be passed on, thus men must learn it over and over.

Rick
06-21-2008, 07:19 AM
Told you I wanted a safe seat!

I saw an old Mario Van Peebles movie a couple of nights ago. Cowboy show. He told a guy to walk into the barn and shoot another fellah. The guy walked in and started yammering about how he was going to shoot the other guy and how he meant business.

BLAM! Mario shot the other guy between the eyes. "If you're going to shoot," He said. "Shoot. If you're going to talk, talk." Then he walked out of the barn.

I think Coot would just shoot.:D

Ole WV Coot
06-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Say what you want. I believe in my God just like you said and you believe you are God. Me I picture you as a kid trying to play grownup. The only way you can do that is on your computer. I noted that any post you made you tried to dazzle us with brilliance instead of BS which didn't make it. Sonny, you haven't known anyone like me and compared to most men I am a pussycat. I don't think I am better than anyone else, just a sweet ole guy. I did get into a fight once, when I was in the 5th grade(about where you are) and lost. I pushed a pencil and typed for Uncle Sam for a little while and then because of my limited qualifications worked in the communications industry just climbing poles and walking around, something I could handle. I know you can't relate but some of us peons must do the manual labor. Actually I am shaking in my brogans right now. Just the thoughts of a person like yourself invading my personal mental institution populated by people that think like me will keep me awake. This terminates my childish response to a child and I am ashamed of the level I had to go down to. If you decide to find the type of response you would get from me just ask any Maintenance Splicer from any phone company why they are all narrow minded and stupid and I am sure he will give you a suitable reply. Only one warning: Don't drink any Kool Aid next time your group meets to wait for your spaceship.

Sam Reeves
06-22-2008, 02:35 PM
I Got my master's...in psychology.
There is always a big debate on whether or not good shrinks are batty.

I don't think i am God. I do not start my sentences with : "Me I ".
I just worked hard, was raised to think, and i know what i am talking about.
I love being precise...in my work, and in my daily life...the words i use are an extension of this intent, of this love, and of course, this is the world i travel everyday.
Impeccability and coherence.
Doing manual labor or not has nothing to do with the desire to express yourself "brilliantly"...or to think about things differently.

I am a machinist. What I do is very precise. The field of psychology is very abstract. Being that we obviously have different notions of what the definition of what "precise" perhaps it it far to say that you and other have a different notion of what "Impeccability and coherence is?

BraggSurvivor
06-22-2008, 02:46 PM
I think its time for a little controversial Bragg doom & gloom. What do ya think Rick? Let er rip? :D