PDA

View Full Version : survival scenario this fri june 20th

wareagle69
06-15-2008, 06:42 PM
ok here we go practice time need some suggestions i plan on starting off with not eating starting fri am and doing strenous work to try and wear myself down mentally and phsically but need some ideas of what to have happen only food on sat will be tea from bush and thinking of cooking on fire pit maybe make some bannock migth even head down to the river in the am to try some fish.. so help me out here...

crashdive123
06-15-2008, 06:48 PM
What's the goal? Is it to see how you react mentaly and physically in a survival situation where you have to perform a lot of physical activiites? Are you looking for ideas on types of activities?

wareagle69
06-15-2008, 07:33 PM
naw i already know i react in stressful situations, i am just looking to keep sharp mentally you know how it is when you practice something enough when it does happen you just react and tell your self you been here a thousand times before nothing to it. just looking for some fresh ideas to practice..

crashdive123
06-15-2008, 07:40 PM
What do you feel is your weakest skill? Practice that.

wareagle69
06-15-2008, 07:46 PM
gezze you sound like my insructor drinking beer is my weakest skill ........ probably fire starting with a drill, i always carry my swedish fire steel with me and i have that down pat and although it is always attached to my body i am looking at fire with natural materials, tried several different rocks today when i was out climbing but not one spark, i was just telling bow yesterday that hunting is my weakest skill as far as carcass care so will be spending alot of time this fall on that, shelter and water no problem food i'm getting better at

Rick
06-15-2008, 07:53 PM
How many days total?

Set aside some activities that require fine motor skills toward the end of your test. Structure it so you initials tests are pretty easy from a tactile perspective then move to progressively tougher jobs.

You might start the first day simply building a fire with your choice of starters. .
Day 2 might be using wood that has been soaked in water for 15 minutes.
Day 3 might be immerse your hands in ice water for 5-10 minutes then try starting a fire with a match.

Just some ideas.

crashdive123
06-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Well then Weedhopper, you know what you must do before you can snatch the pebble from Beauchamp's hand. (drinking beer doesn't count):D

wareagle69
06-15-2008, 08:07 PM
quote how many days total --- 30 days with only my clothes and and a knife (that outta get sarge rolling) just the weeknd rick 3 days
crash gotta do allot more training with bow before i even attempt that

crashdive123
06-15-2008, 08:15 PM
quote how many days total --- 30 days with only my clothes and and a knife (that outta get sarge rolling) just the weeknd rick 3 days
crash gotta do allot more training with bow before i even attempt that

Ya gonna sell videos after your 13 day, er, I mean 30 day trip?

wareagle69
06-15-2008, 08:18 PM
i think i'll add a 10 mile forced march with a 60lb ruck either fri afternoon or first thing sat morning should go well on an empty stomche and i know a natural spring about 5 miles out...

Sunshine
06-15-2008, 08:23 PM
I think it's great that you are challenging yourself like this, wareagle69. It's the only way to find your strengths and weaknesses, by putting yourself to the test. Just make sure someone knows exactly where you are and when you expect to be back, okay?

wareagle69
06-15-2008, 08:28 PM
its just out on my 80 acres if i don't show up sun night the wife knows she's rich

Sourdough
06-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Wareagle, I may be totally misunderstanding your objective......But what if just as you leave the house, you had a shot of Milk of Magnesia. This would simulate having eaten a bad food, or having misidentified a plant under bad light, or just having come in contact with a sick human, or sick animal. Not enough to wreck the whole week-end, but maybe enough that you were loose, and weakened for 6 hours.

Sourdough
06-15-2008, 09:09 PM
i think i'll add a 10 mile forced march with a 60lb ruck either fri afternoon or first thing sat morning should go well on an empty stomche and i know a natural spring about 5 miles out...

I find dragging a 20' length of 3/8 chain through the brush to be both mentally and physically stressful, as it keeps snagging.

Rick
06-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Or we could just save you some time and beat you silly with a baseball bat. :D 20' of chain, huh? My luck, someone would think I stole it and shoot me.

Sourdough
06-16-2008, 12:11 AM
Rick, it is the latest fitness rage.......How to loose weight, and become one with the universe at the same time. I have about 30 lengths of 20' chain.......Now a real man grabs one 20 footer in each hand and starts trucking. If you are in very good shape, (as I think Wareagle is) you will be sore in places you did not know you could be sore in.

Dragging a bevy of chokers, or logging chains is good for mind and body.

crashdive123
06-16-2008, 07:08 AM
New business opportunity Hopeak?

Hopeak's Fitness Spa.
Our guests will be greeted at the base of the mountain for a welcome party.
They're spa experience commences with a hike up the mountain.
Accomidations are beautiful, rustic wall tents.
Day two wil be team building exercises where teams of three will carry 20' lengths of chain up the mountain....

Beo
06-16-2008, 08:08 AM
WE, do night time work and limit your sleep resting in brief hour naps and then working on something. Then after the force march do something like prepare your camp and make your fire, sewing on a tent or canvas or repairiing some clothing or tools or sharpen your knife, this is what I do for pushing myself to makesure I can still do what I was taught in the Military, you know.. LEAD THE WAY bro.

Beo
06-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Doing a 45 mile trek through the forests and mountains this weekend myself, leave friday and come home sunday, if I don't get lost :D ha ha hee hee hee!!! Will ya'll come find me?

jrock24
06-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Try doing your normal routine with only one hand, like if your other was broken.

wareagle69
06-16-2008, 07:22 PM
WE, do night time work and limit your sleep resting in brief hour naps and then working on something. Then after the force march do something like prepare your camp and make your fire, sewing on a tent or canvas or repairiing some clothing or tools or sharpen your knife, this is what I do for pushing myself to makesure I can still do what I was taught in the Military, you know.. LEAD THE WAY bro.

great idea beowolf(wd40) sleep deprivation always add to the exercise

wareagle69
06-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Try doing your normal routine with only one hand, like if your other was broken.

um hmm uh ahem nell do ya wanna handle this one

Rick
06-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Why not make up a separate survival kit of bare minimums and see how long you can survive using it. Perhaps a metal cup a flint and a knife. Or just a metal cup and a flint. You can take whatever else you want in your standard bag but try to operate with must a few items for as long as you can. If you need to, have to or want to you can always rely on your standard bag as a fall back.

dragonjimm
06-16-2008, 09:16 PM
i agree with beo...start youre week end after a normal work day.....wait several hours after dark:eek:.....navigate to a safe campsite build a shelter and fire.
if you really want to kick it up wear what you would normally to work not to bad on some of us but to some one who would wear a suit or other less durable clothing or shoes this could be a challenge.:cool:

wareagle69
06-18-2008, 07:14 PM
well it has been raining around here for like a month and suppose to keep up the rest of the week so should make fire lighting by hand drill a challange

crashdive123
06-19-2008, 06:52 AM
Pictures, we need pictures.

Rick
06-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Lay out your plan, brother. The time if fast approaching. Is fire making your only chore this week-end?

wareagle69
06-19-2008, 07:35 PM
nope once i get the fire going i'll be making bacon, and bannock or bannock with bacon it it, but still raining here and will be till tuesday(not the band)

nell67
06-19-2008, 07:53 PM
I like bacon WE,I really,really like bacon!!!!! You gonna share?:p

Rick
06-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Well, it's Friday. I wish you and Beo good luck and a safe journey this week-end. Enjoy!!

wareagle69
06-20-2008, 11:30 AM
welp just checking in fore i head out to the backyard ya'll have a great weeknd

Ridge Wolf
06-20-2008, 03:07 PM
I thought it was advisable that if you're in a survival situation to rest all you can, travel by night to conserve fluids and stay put until rescued. Sounds like you're proposing to tax yourself beyond prudent advice.

In an actual survival scenario, would you be doing all that? It is easier and safer to test your limits by going to the YMCA or just excercising and working out in the back yard.

crashdive123
06-20-2008, 04:07 PM
I think that he is doing this exercise in his back yard (80 acres) just to find out where some of his limits may lie. Hope you have a good and safe weekend WE.

wareagle69
06-22-2008, 07:29 AM
thanks crash
ridge wolf thanks for your concern but i do this allot this ain't my first rodeo my career is/was built on extremes.

during my forced march i came across some plants i have been searching for, first and most important poison hemlock it was a great find for me
2nd-milkweed uprooted some and brought home for cultivating for my garden

also found wild asperagus on my property of course it was the large bush but at least i know where to look next spring.

also got lots of great pics of weeds i could not id but will have something to do this winter.

need to work on my fire starting with all the rain this spring and everyday this month(almost) it was very wet the hand drill was not a sucsess all thought my fire steel was(feels like cheating to me) i think i will try a plough next and see where we are at..

crashdive123
06-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Fire steel cheating? Nah. There was a saying I heard once....a very good saying....can't remember the author. I think it went something like "always be prepared-prepare all ways". Darn.....wish I could remember where I heard that.