PDA

View Full Version : Do You Have an Internal Clock?

Rick
06-15-2008, 05:20 AM
Are you one of those folks that can wake up the next morning at the time you need to wake up and without an alarm clock? Some folks have an almost scary ability to do that. They can look at a clock and think, "Boy, I need to get up an hour early in the morning" and they will wake up right on queue without any external prompting. How about you?

commoguy
06-15-2008, 05:41 AM
sometimes depends on how important it is. usually i do. when im in garrison and i have been reprogrammed for my pt times in the morning usually wake up before my alarm clock which is very irritating lol

crashdive123
06-15-2008, 06:49 AM
I set an alarm if I'm up unusually late, or have to get up unusually early. It rearely goes off (think it's been about 10 years) I always seem to wake up about 15 or 20 minutes before it goes off.

nell67
06-15-2008, 06:53 AM
Yea,I do,unfortunately. I get up at 2 in the morning to get ready for work,and even on my days off,I still wake up at 2,gggrrrrrrrrr.

wareagle69
06-15-2008, 07:38 AM
as long as i get my 7 i can wake up when i need to so if i need up by 5 in bed by ten and so on

Ole WV Coot
06-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Yep, I have no problem and usually wake up before the alarm. I honed this to a fine edge when I worked midnite to 8am. I also did well in the truck, manhole and belted on a ladder.

Jeffersonpaine
06-15-2008, 09:38 AM
I often wake up right before my alarm goes off, and often i can wake up at a planned time but i wouldnt depend on it.

BraggSurvivor
06-15-2008, 10:11 PM
As I only sleep 2-4 hours per night anyways...... getting up on time is no problem. Insomnia is a terrible thing to have. :(

cheshiregriffin
06-15-2008, 10:30 PM
I used to have to wake up at 4am, now, no matter how late I want to sleep I'm up by 6am. Its a pain when I want to sleep till noon. Especially when I'm out till 2am with friends.

Blood Groove
06-15-2008, 10:58 PM
ONce I was spending the night at a friends house, and I told him that I had an internal alarm clock. HE didn't believe me, so I said the nexty morning I'd wake up at 9:30. So I go to sleep, and then I wake up, no joke, it was 9:34. I used to be able to do it alot, but I've lost the skill :(

crashdive123
06-16-2008, 06:26 AM
9:30????? Man, half the day is gone by then.:D

Rick
06-16-2008, 06:29 AM
Yea, I've captured and plundered a couple of cities, been cheered on by the masses and had a couple of bacon sandwiches by then.

dragonjimm
06-16-2008, 10:23 AM
i work a rotating shift so i can with out a shadow of as doubt tell you if its day or night but beyond that i'm doing good to know what day it is

Rick
06-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Rotating shifts have got to be the worst. I don't know of anything that will screw your body clock up any worse than that and I don't know how you do it. I worked a week of 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. on a large cable section cut (manhole to manhole, Coot) once upon a time. I was a zombie by the end of the week. By brother-in-law rotated for 30 years and he loved it.

Riverrat
06-16-2008, 11:19 AM
I have a perfect internal clock...It does not work...If it dosent beep, ring, or sing, I will sleep past the time I am to get up.

Beo
06-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Got that tactic from my years in the military. Kinda bad sometimes becasue I can't sleep in. I wake up at 0500 everyday unless I tell myself to wake at a specific time, on the weekends I wake up no later than 6am, but that is also good because I always get a full day in.

Blood Groove
06-16-2008, 11:47 AM
9:30????? Man, half the day is gone by then.:D

One of my friends sleeps until 2:00 Pm!!!! I'd feel really sick waking up that late every day.

trax
06-16-2008, 11:54 AM
As I only sleep 2-4 hours per night anyways...... getting up on time is no problem. Insomnia is a terrible thing to have. :(

Me too, been like that as far back as I can remember too. I have a tendency to "crash" about every second week when my body just gives out. I've tried about every remedy you can imagine too.

Ole WV Coot
06-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Rotating shifts have got to be the worst. I don't know of anything that will screw your body clock up any worse than that and I don't know how you do it. I worked a week of 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. on a large cable section cut (manhole to manhole, Coot) once upon a time. I was a zombie by the end of the week. By brother-in-law rotated for 30 years and he loved it.

I know what you mean for sure. I worked 30 some hours straight on a wet pulp to pic cut, crawled out of the manhole and slept for 6hrs on a duck board in the rain. I am beginning to feel it in the joints now. We were tough back then.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rick
06-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Or at least thought we were. I worked with a head lineman that would bear hug class 10 poles out of the ground. I told him he was crazy and one day.....sure enough. One day his back popped at that was that. I also worked with WWII vets that could drop their hard hat from the top of a 30' pole, two step it down and catch their hard hat before it hit the ground. I lost $50 one day on that bet. I never bet on that again.

Eagles Talon
06-16-2008, 02:43 PM
My internal clock seems to run out of batteries every now and again, but sure, if i need to wake up early i normally can, although at night barely anythign can wake me.
Once 3 police cars were respoding to a break-in on the other side of the road, did i wake up? NO

grundle
06-16-2008, 03:02 PM
I have a good internal clock. I generally have to wake up at 0730 for work, but on weekends I help my pop out at the farm which means I get up at 0430. I never use an alarm, I just get up at the right time. It is wierd how I do it, but it just works. I have noticed that when I haven't had to vary my schedule in a while, if I have a radical change I will generally wake up 3 or 4 times during the night and check the clock.

dragonjimm
06-16-2008, 03:16 PM
use to pull 24 to 36 hrs on firing lines either loading ammo into tanks or loading them on the range. slept through some he**ashish lighting storms curled up next to a 120mm round

6 to 6 am or pm .......been on a 12 hour shift for ten years every so often i get my sleep schedule off and either sleep 3 days or i'm up 3 days getting it straight.

crashdive123
06-16-2008, 08:58 PM
The "internal clock" is adaptive to the environment that you're in IMO. The longest period I did on a sub without surfacing was about 5 months. We operated on GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) no matter what part of the world we were in. After about a week at sea the only way most people really knew what time of day it was, was by the meal they were eating (of course 2AM (yeah, I know it's 0200) could have been 4PM local time). Sometimes shifts were 6 hours on and 6 hours off for extende periods. Much of the time it was 6 on and 12 off (during the off time there was about 8 hours of training and maintenance). You just got used to it, and it became normal after awhile. If I could grab 3 or 4 hours sleep in a 30 hour period it almost felt like a luxury.

vanguard1
06-16-2008, 10:14 PM
nope, while I can somewhat think to myself - 'man, need to get up about half an hour earlier tomorrow' and do it most all of the time - I can't lay down and say 'get up in two hours' or anything like that. I can modify my current schedule by maybe an hour and a half max...either way without having to use an alarm.