PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Bad Guy's BOB

Pict
06-14-2008, 11:59 AM
I translated an intresting passage from a book I read here titled “Abusado” (abused), the life story of a Rio drug dealer/criminal. If anyone had the need for a bug-out-bag it was this guy. His life was punctuated by attacks from the police and rival gangs. Even in his own home turf he had to constantly move around.

This guy is no hero or anything and a lot of his tactics lacked refinement. Everything he did he learned “on-the-job”. I just thought some of you would be interested in the contents of his BOB.

“He only slept dressed and with his shoes on, ready to run out into the street at any moment… even sleeping he was never separated from his canvas backpack that held things he considered inseparable: some used candles, lighter, folding knife, small flashlight, two books, soap, toothbrush and toothpaste, a notebook, pens, a small bible, ceramic images of a few Catholic Saints, hand grenades, two boxes of pistol ammunition, and a spare magazine for Jovelina (his AK-47). There was also a compartment in the backpack full of food, salami, goiabada (sweet, thick fruit preserve), vanilla cookies, and vitamin C, which he liked to take when he awoke just before noon.”
From the rest of the text it is clear that he always had a handgun or two and a cell phone on his person. Hand grenades, what BOB is complete without a few?

Hiding is boring and you get dirty, hence the books, notebook, pens, toothpaste and soap. It also looks like he was quite spiritual, he was no Christian Warrior though. The bible was carried more as a spiritual good luck charm than a guide for living. These guys would pray for safety before committing robberies, murder etc.

Sophisticated or not his BOB saw a lot of use and got stripped down to the bare essentials. Mac

Rick
06-14-2008, 12:04 PM
There are life lessons around every corner. We just need to be curious enough to look around the corner sometimes. Thanks for sharing!!

Sarge47
06-14-2008, 09:25 PM
I really enjoyed your post. this guy was definately into Survival! Not as a game, but just to stay alive. Can you imagine having to live like that, constantly looking over your shoulder? BTW, where can I buy some hand grenades?:D

Pict
06-14-2008, 10:09 PM
BTW, where can I buy some hand grenades?

I understand you say that in jest but such they really are quite popular down here. In my neighborhood a few years ago they were all the rage. The police would roll up on a scene and a greande would get rolled under their cars. We had one go off around the corner from where we buy meat one night. The streets were deserted at the time but the thing blew in a rolldown storefront. Belo Horizonte where I live is much calmer than Rio but we do have our problems here as well. Mac

Ole WV Coot
06-15-2008, 12:24 AM
Must be a boring place. I get up, make a mug of coffee and go down to my local loafing establishment where I find out who was humiliated by the law and who caught some social disease the night before, wait awhile till the local druggies come by and buy your stuff they stole the night before back. Ask about "strangers" if any. We then get serious, solve the problems of the world and I go back home and take a nap.

Rick
06-15-2008, 05:31 AM
I don't know. We think hand grenades are pretty scandalous (and they are) but it wasn't all that long ago that just about anyone in the country had dynamite on hand.:eek:

dilligaf2u2
06-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Ole WV Coot! Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight... he'll just kill you. Great thoughts. And often true!

I once told a young punk "I am too old and too tired to play games with you son! So if you do not mind, if I just kill you quick and get this over with??"

It maked him think!

Don