PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Water is All but Gone!

Rick
06-13-2008, 07:08 PM
We talk a lot about preparedness on here. Real life examples are all to easy to find.

Would you be able to carry on if your supply of clean drinking water suddenly vanished?

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hw95ek5Sllmi4SoQ_N4HJvwHE0ZAD919ETQG5

crashdive123
06-13-2008, 07:13 PM
It would be tough. I keep about 200 gallons, but certainly some sort of disaster either natural or manmade could change that. I have used solar stills some while on extended sailing trips. They produce nice, clean, distilled water....but I certainly wouldn't want to be in a hot climate (like Florida) where I had to do a lot of physical activity and rely on one as my sole source.

Rick
06-13-2008, 07:16 PM
I tried to put myself in their position. All my gear is either in my house or in a vehicle. Water came up so fast no one could get their vehicles out. Many were trapped in their homes and had to be rescued.

So here I am unable to get to my gear in the vehicles. About the only thing I could grab would be my bug out bags and my back pack IF the rescue folks would allow me to toss them in the boat. I could get by with my BOB and my pack but I'd be SOL if they didn't let me toss them in the boat. Black day in Dodge City for me.

wareagle69
06-13-2008, 07:18 PM
well rick my boy when i was sitting on top of mt elden in flagstaff about a decade ago i was contemplating my future, hard to find water i says to myself, beautiful country and i'll misss it but the desert is not conducive to self reliance, i live in the great lake basin the largest area of fresh water in the world plenty of natural springs and a very deep well to draw from, now the nay sayers here can say what happens if it all goes bad.... well then we all die. the whole world dies.. now if small areas of contamination happens then you alter and act accordinly, but i certainly think i am in an advantagous spot

Rick
06-13-2008, 08:09 PM
No doubt you are. But turn the tables a bit and what if you had a month long blizzard or -75F for a couple of weeks? I guess my point is this was just one thing and if you were there, no matter how prepared you are you might have been on the short end of the stick. You might have a lot of gear and no way to get to it or use it.

wareagle69
06-14-2008, 08:07 AM
well with a blizzard wouldn't i have fresh water just piled around the house? and minus 75 might be a problem but i guess it would depend on how much snow was insulating the ground

Rick
06-14-2008, 08:12 AM
Your missing my point or I'm not doing a very good job explaining or both.:D

Just take one problem, any problem and think through what it would be like to encounter that problem and what you can do to mitigate it. For Rapid City it's the flood. I just tried to project myself into that environment and figure out how prepared I am. It dawned on me that getting to my bags or getting them out of Dodge could be a real problem in fast rising water.

Forget that one because you have access to tons of water. But what if you were to encounter a month long blizzard. Would you sufficient wood to heat the house? Sufficient food to last out the blizzard? Perhaps there is some other fail point in the plan that you haven't considered.

I'm just suggesting that folks should take the opportunity to revisit each type of disaster and ensure they are adequately prepared.

wareagle69
06-14-2008, 08:23 AM
i usually keep 3 years worth of wood on hand split and ready to go, i understand your frusteration rick but i take always be prepared and prepare all way very seriously- the food would be a problem as far as fresh stuff like milk and my coffee creamer, the only problems is if i am forced from my home, but at the homestead i am rady for a long occupation