PDA

View Full Version : Here it is... Making a potatoe gun :)

Beo
06-13-2008, 10:25 AM
I love these things so thought I tell how I make mine.
THE POTATOE GUN!!!! Dun Dun Dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Making a potato gun is practically a right of passage for some boys. It can however be very dangerous and caution must be taken during construction to build a relatively safe potato gun.
Things you'll need:
Hair spray
Barbeque grill igniter
2 feet of 3 inch pipe
16 gauge wire
4 feet of 1 1/2 inch pipe
3 inch pipe end cap that unscrews
3 inch 1 1/2 inch reducer fitting

Step 1. Purchase thick-walled plastic pipe and fittings from your local hardware store in the following dimensions: 2 feet of 3 inch pipe, 4 feet of 1 1/2 inch pipe, a 3 inch to 1 1/2 inch reducer fitting and a 3 inch plastic pipe end cap that unscrews.
Step 2. Remove a grill igniter from an old grill.
Step 3. Use pipe glue and assemble the end cap onto one end of the 3 inch pipe, and the reducer on the other end. Let dry.
Step 4. Connect and glue the 1 1/2 inch pipe to the reducer.
Step 5. Drill two screws into the back of the 3 inch pipe about 3 inches from the end cap. Position the screws so that they come from both sides of the potato gun chamber and are about 1/2 inch apart inside the chamber.
Step 6. Attach the 16 gauge wires to the grill igniter wires on one end and one to each screw on the other end. Now try looking inside the gun and making sure when you click the igniter you get a big spark between the screws. If not, reposition them.
Step 7. Cut a potato to fit tightly into the barrel and insert it all the way down the barrel. Spray hairspray into the larger chamber, screw the lid tightly shut and click the igniter and watch the potato fly!

Man the old days were great!!!!!
Also there's this way I found on a potatoe gun site:
First you will need to go to your local hardware (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/68501/theme/285/hardware_stores_and_projects.html) supply store (and maybe beauty (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/68501/theme/1555/beauty.html) store) to get some supplies.
You will need:
A 2'' diameter PVC pipe
A 3" diameter PVC pipe with threads on one end in any shape you wish (I found a curved pipe works better)
A 2" to 3" PVC coupler
A 3" threaded PVC cap
A long stick that is about 1/2'' to 1 1/2'' in diameter
PVC cement
A grill ignitor (electric will last longer)
A spray can of polyurithne or hairspray

Okay, I hope you had fun at the store spending 50 bucks or so. First you will have to decide the design of your cannon. The inch measures are not set in stone, but the ones I put there I found to be the best. You will need to cut the 3" shorter than the 2" pipe. If you coat the inside of the 2" pipe with the polyurithne, it will allow for a smoother potato shoot.
Take the coupler and spread the inside edge of the 2'' end and the outside end of the 2'' pipe and connect the two. Allow time to dry and repeat to the 3'' sections.
Now take the threaded cap and drill a hole for the grill ignitor to fit in with the button accessable from the outside and seal off with the pvc cement or otherwise. Take the wires of the grill ignitor and strap them to a screw or something else metal so that the wires are not touching but very close. Test the button until you see the spark of electric current arch between the wires.
Allow enough time for the glue to dry and harden. I reccomend allowing 2-3 days to ensure the seals wont leak. After this time you are ready to test your mad man creation.
HAVE FUN PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bulrush
06-13-2008, 11:15 AM
"Potato guns don't kill people, people kill people!"

dragonjimm
06-13-2008, 12:43 PM
ahhh you dont know about the ninja spuds do you.......gun sounds nice got any video ...pictures of craters or downed aircraft.:D

Ole WV Coot
06-13-2008, 01:26 PM
And just what gauge does that come out to be and could you put in a wad, fill with pea gravel, and have a vegetable(potato & pea) shotgun ???

canid
06-13-2008, 08:55 PM
that sounds like an extreme salad shooter coot...

Sourdough
06-13-2008, 09:33 PM
I got some rotten goose eggs we could put a wet sponge in front of the potato as a wadding/shock absorber the rotten egg in front. And fire for effect on the SPUD COMPOUND, maybe knock out a .50 Barrett emplacement.

Ridge Wolf
06-13-2008, 10:50 PM
And just what gauge does that come out to be and could you put in a wad, fill with pea gravel, and have a vegetable(potato & pea) shotgun ???

How about putting in lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers etc..

Suddenly Salad. :D

Oh,, Canid beat me to it..Darn!!

Tony uk
06-15-2008, 12:10 PM
BACON SANDWHICH AMMUNTIOION :eek: