PDA

View Full Version : bug out bag -in reverse

wareagle69
06-13-2008, 07:33 AM
i've thought about this this week , i have over an hours drive into town 4 days a week, i do not need to bug out as the homestead is where i plan to sit out any situation civil or weather or what have you.
when i was 18 and joined the army back in 88 we had not been in a conflict in many moons(you can't count Granada even though some got a cib for hearing rifle fire) so when i took my training very serious even through basic and ait(osut) for me there at benning i would get laughed at boys would say whens the last time we was at war and i would quote about how every 20 years historically the us was involved in something any how thank god for rip(ranger indoctrination program) where i met like minded brothers. we all se what has happened in the last 20 years.

so scootch forward to present day, my wife will not bug out she will die before leaving her animals so that is why i bought the homestead and made my preparations. but i will need to get home the 108 odd km or 70 some miles.i have not been a big fan of the bug out bag, at least since taking a family when i was single i always had on in the truck just so i could disappear for a few days, so now i need to get home hopefully i can just drive home but if i need to walk i may take a while, i could"borrow" a canoe or kayak or boat and follow the river home or walk either way i now realize i have to make 3 to 4 days of equipment to get home

just the basic for me warm weather clothes, 3 days of food(i can always forage more on the way home) map and compass, a tarp, 2 water bottles with sterilization (pur tablets) multi vitamins, my swedish firestarter and leatherman are always attached to my body.

so have any of you thought of how you would get home safely? most of you are not having to travel but some do commute thru the city where there would be more congestion even in an emergency how do you plan on getting home to bug in or bug out?

crashdive123
06-13-2008, 07:49 AM
We (TDW & I) actually have done planning for this. Since I am out on the road every day (usually no further than 30 miles from home, but somtimes up to about 125). 1st we have developed a communications plan that will hopefully keep either of us from freaking out and doing something that would get us into more trouble than exists in the current situation. We've developed meeting locations (close to home, and a bit further away) if that need arises. We do keep supplies in our vehicles that would help us to get home.

Teotwawki
06-13-2008, 08:21 AM
Good question!

This hit home for us this last year. TDW works at a local university. She calls me one afternoon to say that the campus was on alert because a masked gunman had been spotted just off campus at some student apartments. I responded: get your *ss home - now!

She boogied. About 5 minutes after the campus went on lockdown.

The whole thing turned out to be a hoax but everyone was stuck in their buildings for about 8 hours - except it turns out the building tdw works in... they couldn't get the computerized door locks to work.

Our plan is simple: If SHTF, then GYAH. We are rarely further than an hour away. I'm not sure what more could be done other than in-transit communication in case something goes wrong with getting home.

Rick
06-13-2008, 08:25 AM
You bet, WE. As Crash said, a communication plan is a must. Beyond that, a bag in the vehicle and augmented if needed for longer trips. As you say, always be prepared - Prepare all ways.

Sourdough
06-13-2008, 09:11 AM
WE, How about a fold bike....or even a cheap well used regular bike, A fold bike takes little space.......?

Rick
06-13-2008, 09:59 AM
That would be a good choice. Folks also need to look at the road less traveled and be prepared to take it if it's in the direction you need to go. Rail beds and train tracks. I know where all the rails run in this neck of the woods. Just look at a map. If I'm caught out and need to get home I'll be hoofing the rails while others are bumper to bumper on the roads.

Gas lines and transmission lines.

Both are generally kept clear of heavy overgrowth. You usually won't find woods covering them. It's wise to know where those utilities run and it would give you an easier path if you have to hoof cross country.

wareagle69
06-13-2008, 01:49 PM
yeah we have the river and the rr tracks along side of the river that i couls follow or even parallel if i had to go tactical.

canid
06-13-2008, 09:19 PM
depending on where i am and what i'm doing if an emergency arises:

i get great milage on my motorcycle, and it can handle a modicum of rough terrain, though not much, as it's a cruiser. it can certainly handle the feilds and roads between chico and where i would be headed if staying near town where an option. there is also the benefit that it can carry a fair amount of gear. failing that, i have my legs, my thumb and one of those whacha-call-ums, bicycle. i think the bicycle is the most flexible. it beats the heck out of walking in this weather. these days, i always have some portion of a 2l hydration bladder full of water; plenty for half a days walk in this heat at need. there is at least some food to be had around here all of the year round, from jackrabbit and pheasant to tubers, blackberry and wild grape.

i don't have my own place set up these days, but there are friends and family all over the western states to whom i can turn for some help if i need it, and a few of them are designated meeting places in the case that emergency or disaster requires pooling together.

Sam Reeves
06-13-2008, 10:21 PM
i don't have my own place set up these days, but there are friends and family all over the western states to whom i can turn for some help if i need it, and a few of them are designated meeting places in the case that emergency or disaster requires pooling together.

This is probably the most brilliant post I have seen on this forum so far. Having a network of like minded folks you can count on is essential in a bad situation. Everybody has certain strong points that the group can utilize to maintain until the situation can be overcome.

Ridge Wolf
06-13-2008, 10:39 PM
PLan A: go home quickly for rendezvous. If not feasible, then plan B: go north to relatives way out of town, rendezvous up there. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.00, it's in the bag. (well maybe not that much.) :D Plan C, we are still working on and when completed, would negate Plan A and B.