PDA

View Full Version : goin meatless- can u do it?

wareagle69
06-12-2008, 08:21 PM
i've thought about this thread alot this week and after reading the best meat thread i thought i'd post this, if/when the crapper explodes or the price just gets to high what would you do, yes i know there are great mighty hunters here(and fishermen and women) but i can recall many lunchtime stories at work of people getting skunked quite a bit, hunting and fishing is different when its done for fun but when you have the added pressure of needing to feed others then how will you do it

also alot of you live in the city where would you aquire your meat, some of us can go in the back yard but most can't and are you willing to leave your family behind to gather meat.

i am not a vegetarion but i practice quite often getting my body used to gaining my nutriten else where i was just wondering if any one else had put any serious thought into this?

Rick
06-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Well, it's the old I gotta do what I gotta do. The city offers a lot of protein. Pigeons, rats, squirrels (in those cute little parks), even hawks and falcons. Lot's of pet stores. You just have to take stock of what resources are available.

I'm in suburbia so I've got access to squirrels and chipmunks (I hate those danged things!). A lake just down the road for fish (easy to catch they float on top.:eek:). Canadian geese out the wazoo and ducks. Deer are all over the place. Dogs don't run loose but I'll bet they'd get scarce if food started to dry up. Cats, oh yeah, cats run loose. They'd be an easy dinner.

wareagle69
06-12-2008, 08:31 PM
lots of pet stores? i think you could find nutrients alot easier and cheaper

Teotwawki
06-12-2008, 08:33 PM
SKS-Mom raises goats and chickens... plenty of meat as long as the livestock survives.

Then, as discussed in another thread, there are always bugs - the other white meat (not me - hands off the wabbit).

Rick
06-12-2008, 08:33 PM
I was thinking more in terms of things are really bad so you sort of pocket what you need. Not purchasing them.

Plenty of protein available without meat as well. I keep a lot beans of various types stocked as well as peanut butter. So you could get by without meat if you had to.

But I do have a LOT of spam, kippers and sardines on hand. A LOT of spam.:D

crashdive123
06-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Living a few miles from the ocean and in a city nicknamed "The River City" there is lots of seafood available. Fairly large farming community in the area. Back in college I did the vegetarian thing for about a year ---- for no particular reason that I can recall. So surviving without meat really shouldn't be a problem. There are lots of protien sources available.

Teotwawki
06-12-2008, 08:37 PM
For those in the country there is also the old-west tradition of cattle rustling.

crashdive123
06-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Which brings to mind another old-west tradition of hanging.

Rick
06-12-2008, 08:42 PM
And the old west tradition of branding. Ouch!!

Teotwawki
06-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Yea, that occurred to me.

My hope actually would be to trade once in a while with farmer Joe for a slice o' beef.

Similar risk of getting shot in the city with "shopping on account" for meat and other goods.

wareagle69
06-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Yea, that occurred to me.

My hope actually would be to trade once in a while with farmer Joe for a slice o' beef.

Similar risk of getting shot in the city with "shopping on account" for meat and other goods.

what would you trade a farmer?
we raise wabbits here..

RangerXanatos
06-12-2008, 09:03 PM
We're not supposed to eat rotting or decomposing meat, so I guess the Zombies are out of the question. :D

FVR
06-12-2008, 09:18 PM
We almost do it now. We don't buy steak, maybe every other week we venture to Ryans.

When I do eat steak, I always get it medium so the vitamins and minerals are not cooked out, I also chew on the fat. Yeh, gross but I like the taste.

I could live on pasta.

I would eat fish every meal if I could. Problem is it's so expensive.

trax
06-12-2008, 09:20 PM
We're not supposed to eat rotting or decomposing meat, so I guess the Zombies are out of the question. :D

Really? Dam**t....(letting zombie out of snare "off ya go now, run!")

BraggSurvivor
06-12-2008, 09:37 PM
I grabbed a few Corona today and hit the bush on my property without a motorized vehicle to check on my cattle. Within 5-20 minutes I spotted 8 deer, two moose with their youngens and a badger (out in the open) prowling a fence line. Gobs of wild game.

I have to get out and walk the area more often....very enjoyable.

Good post WE.

Alpine_Sapper
06-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Dude, the city is one huge meat market. You just have to get past that whole notion that cannibalism is wrong. I mean, if a real true SHTF scenario, and you're STARVING, I mean, the rule of three's is gonna cash your paycheck if you don't eat starving, some enterprising idiot will inevitably present themselves as food trying to find some for themself.

Now that we have the EXTREME survival scenario covered, in a less morbid environment, I have lived for a few years as a pesco-vegetarian. For no other reason than red meat is to expensive and I got REALLY tired of chicken and turkey. Could I go without the sea creatures to survive? If I absolutely had to, sure, but, why? They're so plentiful no matter where you're at, unless the water is to contaminated (fort Worth).

wildWoman
06-13-2008, 12:07 AM
I don't eat store-bought meat to begin with and have spent years in the past eating no meat at all, so no big loss...what would hurt really bad would be having to cut chocolate, pasta and cereal out of my diet.

crashdive123
06-13-2008, 05:32 AM
WW- making pasta is a bit time consuming, but not that hard. A recepie from cooks.com follows. (now chocolate....still working on that)

HOMEMADE EGG PASTA (NOODLES)

2 c. unbleached flour
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 eggs
Water

1. Put the flour into a large mixing bowl; make a well in the center, add the eggs, olive oil, and about two tablespoons of water. Mix ingredients into each other with a fork until the eggs are no longer liquid. Use fingertips or hands to incorporate the rest of the flour; moisten with more water if necessary, (the exact amount of water depends upon the size of the eggs and the absorbency of the flour), the dough should be fairly firm and somewhat dry.

2. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for about 15 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.

3. Form into a ball, place under an inverted bowl and let sit for at least 30 minutes, (this will help the dough to stretch when rolling).

4. To roll: Divide the dough in half; leave one half underneath the bowl. Roll out on a slightly floured surface, first in one direction, then in the other to form a rectangle. Dividing again in half will make the rolling easier when the sheet becomes large; keep the half not being rolled well floured and under a dish towel, or under the bowl, to prevent drying. When the sheet is almost translucent, it is ready to be cut.

5. To cut: Dust the sheets with flour to prevent any sticking. Use only one sheet at a time, keeping the others covered. Roll the dusted sheet loosely from the edge like a jelly roll. With a sharp knife cut the roll into thin slices, (1/2 inch for tagliatele - 1/4 inch for fettuccine). Unroll each noodle carefully, and place flat on a dish towel or hang over a broom stick suspended between two chairs.

6. These may be cooked immediately, (plenty of boiling water with a little oil added to prevent sticking), or dried for future use, (dried flat or over broom stick). Serve with sauce, or olive oil and grated Parmesan

wareagle69
06-13-2008, 07:12 AM
goo responses people, most of us here are somewhat prepared but there are our guests and new folks that will read this, i am just asking them to sit and think, most of going meatless is about the mental game, i look at my dinner plate and tink wheres the beef? can't have food w/o meat but last sunday we had tomato cheese and avacado sandwhiches on fresh dinner rools with watermelon and it was quite filling, probably one of the reasons allan beauchamp my insructor says always have multi vitamins around.

crashdive123
06-13-2008, 07:19 AM
Wareagle - interesting that you posted this when you did. Saw a story on the local news this morning that made me think of this thread. It was about saving money. The guest talked about smaller portions, supplimenting with other protiens like beans, cheaper cuts and how to prepare them.

wareagle69
06-13-2008, 07:38 AM
my biggest thing has been smaller portions- my wifes grocery bill was 25 dollars a wek when i met her now we spend at least an hundred a week, i fill my cereal bowl to the top most likely two portions there same with my lunch at work i have probably 3 days of food in there peanut butter jar and roll of crackers 2 fruit cups two pudding cups 2 tinned fish( just in case) and at dinner i probably eat 3 servings of food, so lately i have been down sizing my portions and looking at cheaper ways of getting my nutrients w/o comprimisng taste..

Beo
06-13-2008, 09:24 AM
WE great question, I live in a suburb of the armpit called Cincinnati and eat beef and chicken I eat a ton of. I do however eat a lot of greens such as salad and other veggies plus the foraging when camping. Honestly it would be hard to cut meats out and by nature I am a carnivore... think I could do it if had to just don't wanna.

Eagles Talon
06-16-2008, 02:40 PM
My mother and sister have been vegetarian for quite a while now, and there are plenty of meat alternatives, but you can't say there isnt something better than a big piece O' meat:D

dragonjimm
06-16-2008, 03:19 PM
no. if i had to i would, but not voluntarily and not willingly:mad:

wareagle69
06-16-2008, 07:18 PM
i've thought about this thread alot this week and after reading the best meat thread i thought i'd post this, if/when the crapper explodes or the price just gets to high what would you do, yes i know there are great mighty hunters here(and fishermen and women) but i can recall many lunchtime stories at work of people getting skunked quite a bit, hunting and fishing is different when its done for fun but when you have the added pressure of needing to feed others then how will you do it

also alot of you live in the city where would you aquire your meat, some of us can go in the back yard but most can't and are you willing to leave your family behind to gather meat.

i am not a vegetarion but i practice quite often getting my body used to gaining my nutriten else where i was just wondering if any one else had put any serious thought into this?

the point to this topic is what would you do

catfish10101
06-17-2008, 05:56 AM
I could do without buying meat but it would be replaced with deer, squirrel, wabbit, fish, crabs, crawfish, frogs, alligator, ducks, coots, rail, doves, all caught or killed close to home. No need to be a veggifreak. LOL.

trax
06-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Well, since zombies are off the diet (:mad:) I guess I'd have to resort to harvesting wild (or available) meat too. Last time I checked I was pretty good at it. I've noticed a lot of my neighbors let their cats roam around loose and I've been told they taste like rabbit. He might not have originated the expression, but Edward Abbey was the first person I ever heard refer to beef as "slow elk" I honestly can't imagine having to go meatless, I sure as heck don't want to, but I'm aware of other sources of protein that are available, so I guess I'd start hoarding those (soy, peanuts etc)

Ameriborn
06-17-2008, 01:32 PM
I could could without buying meat. However, I couldn't go without eating meat. I would just hunt for my dinner if I couldn't buy it. Last I checked, I have a freezer full of Fish, Venison, Rabbit, Squirrel and other goods.

wareagle69
06-17-2008, 07:17 PM
so you would just walk outside and plink theres dinner eh, like i said how many of you have been skunked when trying to hunt or fish and how about having to do it away from your family at your hunting area when your family needs you at home for security(personal and emotional) during a shtf scenario and how often would you be able to go out and sustain your self, as i said some of us are luckey to live in the bush and it is easier bt what about the rest of you do some serious thinking not just the same ol vanilla answer

i challange you..........

Rick
06-17-2008, 07:25 PM
If my neighbor's mutt doesn't stop barking he might be in the freezer sooner than later!!

steiger589
06-17-2008, 08:05 PM
I've gotta agree with Ameriborn, I couldn't go meatless. I guess one meal a day should be solid meat!

On Topic: My In-Laws live in southern Louisiana, I guess it could be worth doing some fishing there but it's gonna be a very swampy, marshy area.

A question for the board: Sea weed and alot of algea is edible, how about the algea you come across in bayous? Anyone know whether you could eat that stuff?

rrsnook
06-17-2008, 08:37 PM
like crash I live by the gulf and I fish alot. I know I could get plenty of fish it might not be the premium fish like grouper or snapper but plenty of jacks,blue runners and mackeral. for red meat I would try and barter some seafood to some of the guys I know that hunt hog and deer.I wouldn't want to rely on my hunting skills to feed my family however I would set up some traps we do have alot of bunnies down here.

Jeffersonpaine
06-18-2008, 08:48 PM
I could'nt and would'nt go without meat. **** That ****!!

Rick
06-19-2008, 08:15 AM
I saw a show about the evolution of man that correlated the size of man's brain with his discovery of meat eating. The protein feeds the brain. Here's an article that also talks about it in the final paragraphs. Interesting statement toward the end that 25% of our metabolism is used to feed the brain.

http://www.wsu.edu:8001/vwsu/gened/learn-modules/top_longfor/phychar/culture-humans-2two.html

canid
06-19-2008, 06:45 PM
well, part of the solution, when meat becomes harder to aquire, or less affordable, is to simply eat less of it.

i don't consume a lot of meat at most times, though i eat all i can get, or care to expend the energy to get, and at some times that is a lot. the fact is that i can be perfectly happy with meat as i small part of a few meals per week, though i can not be happy with fishing as a small part of my life :D.

i could be a vegetarian if i had to. it might kill me, but i feel confident i could do it.

wareagle69
06-19-2008, 07:26 PM
I could'nt and would'nt go without meat. **** That ****!!

did you read the thread at all? show at least some imagination

ATough
06-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Well I'm a vegetarian so I'll be good.

Now if vegetables went away, well I would have a problem.

crashdive123
06-22-2008, 07:13 AM
A question for the board: Sea weed and alot of algea is edible, how about the algea you come across in bayous? Anyone know whether you could eat that stuff?

I have used some seaweeds and kelp in cooking, but never algae. Keep in mind that most algae are very, very tiny - some in the microscopic range. Raising edible algae in some cultures is big business, and has been marketed in many products. There are however, algae that are toxic, containing neurotoxins. I couldn't find anything specific to the bayous of LA, but maybe some that have lived there can offer some specifics.

canid
06-22-2008, 04:07 PM
not only are some algae toxic, some algae can kill you if ingested in any visible quantity.

KingFisher907
06-23-2008, 02:32 PM
nope, refuse to...