PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone worked with Sandvik 19C27 Stainless

Gray Wolf
06-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Has anyone worked with Sandvik 19C27 Stainless?

zaebra
06-12-2008, 05:34 PM
my father in-law works for sandvik, but i haven't worked with any of their materials myself. if you have a specific question, i could certainly pass it along.

i think he works with the titanium tubing, but i could be wrong. we don't really discuss his work..

Gray Wolf
06-13-2008, 12:42 PM
I was given a piece, looks like it was a sample, on it is a sticker that has printed:

Sandvik 19C27 Stainless
Chemistry: C .95 Mn .65 Si .40 Cr 13.50
Stock Gauge .187

I was pondering using this for a side mounted Tomahawk project.

bladefrenzy
06-13-2008, 03:54 PM
I haven't used that particular alloy. But most of the Sandvik steels are very "clean" steels. They have less junk mixed in with them. It should be about like the steel in a VIC. SAK.
Most of them are a bit softer than we would harden say 440c or something like that. I think most around 55-57 rc. But not positive. I have a chart from them somewhere if I can find it, it tells all the mixes of their different alloys. Hope this helps, sorry not much info.

a2tool
06-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Sandvik 12c27 steel is what i used to use on my knifes, which is very similar to 440c with special heat treatment it is possible to get the edge harder than 57rc, i have a knife (not heat treated by me) that has a edge hardness of 61+-1 rc. but i Don't know if it is similar to 19c27.

If you intend making a cutting object i'd suggest that you look for a Sandvik website and ask about heat treatment. Or you could find a heat treat shop and question them. I my (limited) experience it is not the steel used that ruins a knife' rather it is improper heat treatment of that particular steel that reduces the blade effectiveness.

Gray Wolf
06-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Sandvik 12c27 steel is what i used to use on my knifes, which is very similar to 440c with special heat treatment it is possible to get the edge harder than 57rc, i have a knife (not heat treated by me) that has a edge hardness of 61+-1 rc. but i Don't know if it is similar to 19c27.

Did you make the blade then send it out to be heat treated?

I my (limited) experience it is not the steel used that ruins a knife' rather it is improper heat treatment of that particular steel that reduces the blade effectiveness.

That's what separates a good blade from a bad one (steels used being the same).

a2tool
06-21-2008, 06:55 AM
Did you make the blade then send it out to be heat treated?

Actually i was doing a one week knife course and the teacher did the heat treatment, i was 13 at the time and terrified of the electric furnace.