PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Pee?????????

Sarge47
07-30-2007, 09:43 PM
Soooo, drinking urine is okay cuz Bear G. says so? Here's what John "Lofty" Wiseman writes in his book "The SAS survival Handbook". (Some of you may remember that the great Grylls claims he was in the SAS. Mr Wiseman spent 26 years in their service) pg.42, down at the bottom: "WARNING: URINE & SEA WATER never drink either-Never!":eek:

Now from Reid Kincaid's book: "The Extreme Survival Almanac".By the way, Mr. Kincaid is a physician assistant(PA-C) with many degrees. pg. 54 in the chapter "Finding Water". "WHAT NOT TO DRINK: DO NOT drink sea water, compass fluid, anti-freeze,or urine. The salt and toxins in all of these far outweigh their water content.":eek:

What does that say to you guys?:confused:

ATough
07-30-2007, 09:46 PM
if you drink it 2 you will die.

zadig39
07-30-2007, 10:46 PM
I have lived in the south and worked either outdoors or in un-airconditioned buildings my whole life. When its 100+ degrees and 85% humidity you get dehydrated pretty quick. No matter how much water you drink you don't pee very often, and when you do there is very little volume and very concentrated waste. By the time you get desparate enough to drink pee, it prolly won't be an option.

Sarge47
07-30-2007, 11:38 PM
This is taken directly from the US Army Survival Manual FM 21-76, the same manual this web-site is based on. Pg5-6 (Chapter 5 pg. 6, top of the page.) It shows a small chart that lists 4 questionable sources of water. Urine is #2 with the caveat "Contains harmful body wastes. Is about 2%salt." Then directly under this illustration #5-2 it reads: "CAUTION: Do not substitute the fluids listed in figure 5-2 for water.":eek:

At this point you should probably be asking yourself which group/person you're going to believe, one guy on a highly-questionable survival show or his superior in the SAS, an assistant Physician, & the US Army. Hmmmm, let me see now....:rolleyes:

trax
07-31-2007, 11:34 AM
I keep coming back to this! How can you possibly question this Bear Grylls dude? HE STAYED IN A HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS LAST NIGHT!!! :D :D :D

Go Wolfpack!

Sarge47
07-31-2007, 01:01 PM
Maybe one of these Inn's will hire Bear as their spokesperson.:rolleyes: By the way, if any of you guys don't have the US Army Survival Manual can just go to this site's home-page and click on #6 on the list of chapters at the left hand side. scroll down to figure 6-2 and be sure to read the caveat right above it>:eek:

trax
07-31-2007, 01:03 PM
Maybe one of these Inn's will hire Bear as their spokesperson.:rolleyes: :eek:

I thought they had, isn't that the business he's in??:eek:

wareagle69
07-31-2007, 05:22 PM
the problem with urine is that it will dehydrate you even more.
you could try to distille it. let me get back to you on this..

nell67
07-31-2007, 05:37 PM

Yea didnt they do that in a movie once?? I think it was kevin costners waterworld.

trax
07-31-2007, 06:02 PM
I actually heard, when I was a child, that the guys who were rescued from that big coal mine collapse in Nova Scotia (I think it was in the late '50's, Springhill) survived by drinking each other's urine. I'm shrugging here, maybe it's just a myth, maybe they were making matters worse for themselves.

I know the longer you go without water, the more concentrated your waste will become because I've done fasts without food and water and man, you still pee, but.....yeck!:eek:

Sarge47
07-31-2007, 06:25 PM

Yes, my books also say that you can "distill" both urine and sea water by making a solar still. One of the "I Shouldn't Be Alive: The Science of Survival" demonstrated how to make a good solar still.:cool:

Strider
07-31-2007, 06:51 PM
Ok, urine isn't poisonous, first off. You probably shouldn't drink it unless you really need to because it's composed of all the liquid waste products of the body. The way to drink it is to boil it for a few minutes, then let it cool.

wareagle69
07-31-2007, 08:02 PM
yeah sarge heard about that with both because of the salt content, just going thru my library to confirm before i shoot me mouth off, maybe i wiil have to be more like ghandi and try it first

Sarge47
07-31-2007, 08:48 PM
Ok, urine isn't poisonous, first off. You probably shouldn't drink it unless you really need to because it's composed of all the liquid waste products of the body. The way to drink it is to boil it for a few minutes, then let it cool.

POINT!! Most expets warn never to drink it unless it's been distilled first...repeat...NEVER!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Fog_Harbor
07-31-2007, 09:11 PM
The salt content in urine is low, but still not good, and urea is poisonous in large amounts. You can drink the stuff, but why would you want to drink what your body has already rejected?

The only way I'd do it would be to distill it, and then only by boiling it and distilling the steam.

donny h
07-31-2007, 11:58 PM
To me, drinking raw urine or seawater is to be reserved until faced with imminent death from dehydration, even then, it's a judgement call...

trax
08-01-2007, 11:31 AM
But, the situation that I mentioned...in the mine collapse, there's no way those guys could boil or distill the urine. That was a coalmine, but in any mine collapse or trapped situation, you extinguish every kind of flame to preserve oxygen, even the cap lamps.

HOP
08-05-2007, 05:09 PM
How many experts say drink urine besides Bear and when he does it you can see that the vegitations seems to say hey there is a creek right here but no
bear keeps hiting it like a wino on a bottle of muscetel

carcajou garou
08-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Very simple NO

criticalmass
08-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Sorry to be so contradictory to so many veteran members on my fist post, it is not my intent to troll. One of the most amazing survival stories I have ever heard included drinking urine. That was Aaron Ralston.

Beo
08-01-2008, 01:29 PM
You wana drink pee, go ahead and drink it potty mouth. In the Ranger school when asked the instructors said Do Not Drink Urine. In panama at Jungle School the instructors said Do Not Drink Urine, and the U.S. Navy Seals say Do Not Drink Urine. There are other ways to find water and your pee, urine, tinkle, or whatever you wanna call it is a waste product of the body and holds little salt, and things your body cannot use. Boiling urine does not make it water or safe to drink, its still a waste product. That said if you do then do us all a favor and take some tictacs in your pack so we ain't gotta smell your stank azz breath. what a dumb azz topic its common sense.

nell67
08-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Oh Beo,you are bringing up some old threads aren't you,LOL. Whats next poopin' in the woods??:eek:
And I agree with you,don't drink it.

BraggSurvivor
08-01-2008, 01:43 PM
No thanks, I'd slit a wrist to wet my whistle before I'd drink my beer ridden urine.

Gray Wolf
08-01-2008, 02:26 PM
But please tell me it's still okay to squeeze the water out of camel dung and drink it. :rolleyes: :eek::eek:

Beo
08-01-2008, 02:53 PM
You wanna drink pee come here cause I gotta go pretty darn bad right now!!!

Sam Reeves
08-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Oh Beo,you are bringing up some old threads aren't you,LOL. ]Whats next poopin' in the woods??:eek:
And I agree with you,don't drink it.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3779

Ole WV Coot
08-01-2008, 08:41 PM
My problem is by the time I got that wacky and desperate I would need water to prime the old pump. When I'm thirsty I'm dry from head to toe

Rick
08-02-2008, 07:09 AM
drink my beer ridden urine

Wait a minute. Let me think about this. What kind of beer? There might be some possibilities here we're hastily overlooking.

BuckBall
08-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Drinking urine is fine. World War 2, Africa...Germans and British troops alike drank their urine. First Gulf War, SAS troops drank their urine when hunting scuds. I served with the UK Military, during survival courses you are taught to do this. Urine is 100% sterile and will not give you any side effects.

crashdive123
08-02-2008, 02:07 PM
While it's true that urine is sterile, it does contain toxins. Those toxins, in a healthy, well hydrated individual will probably have no ill effects. It's important to remember that as we become dehydrated the level, or concentration of those toxins increases as measured by a percentage of volume. When this happens urine can be harmful.

Beo
08-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Buckball,
Dude I don't know where you got your info on the first gulf war... we called that Desert Shield/Storm here in the U.S. and I was with the 101st Airborne's LRSD and we and no U.S. armed forces soldiers that I knew of or talked to (Ranger's, Scouts, several SF Units, Stinger teams, etc..) drank their urine, and I can tell you from my time in the U.S. Army and Ranger School that we were never, not one time, taught to or told to drink your urine, we were taught it is not safe to drink. Now I was in from 83 to 91, and it never was taught in any school I went to: Ranger, Airborne, Scout (19D), School of the America's (Jungle School), Combat Lifesaver Course, NTC Desert Survival, U.S. Army SERE School. Not one of those schools told us to drink urine and never covered it, we were in fact told do not drink it.
Maybe they drank it if they were captured and forced to as Andy McNab (S.A.S. Desert Storm) was, he himself states in his book Bravo Two Zero, "We were forced to drink our urine," unquote. During his training chapter he never mentions anything about drinking urine or boiling it in emergencies. Dunno but every school I went to said do not do (see my earlier post0.
Beo,

BuckBall
08-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Well Beowulf, I served with two nine commando, 148 Cde F/O Battery, serving in Operation Grandby...or in my American counterparts would call it. The Gulf War. That would also be with SAS units which 148 5 man teams joined in with, as well as US Special Forces directing fire for aircraft. If I may be so bold, that little union jack flying guy means I am UK.

What we are taught in the UK, you Americans are not taught. And if you were to read your history, we lost many a SAS due to inadequote preparations for the night time temps. My information comes from MOD where my file is.

And during WW2 my grandfather was in Africa, where he drank his urine also. You would learn much if you studied other countries armed forces, a flaw that many a US Military serviceman does not do.

For record, I did 15 years active service, 1 year with the Royal Artillery as a Gunner. 10 years with the Commandos as officer and 4 years as an Advisor. Serving in the Gulf War, Kosovo, Sierra Leone and Bosnia.

crashdive123
08-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Gosh Remy, somebody strike a nerve?

BuckBall
08-02-2008, 04:41 PM
I lived in Poole, England. Now reside in Wisconsin. And just so you know, there are other Englanders who live in the states too.

It's quite alright though, as most yahoos only read what they want to and pick words from what they want to pick at. Just shows me ones intelligent level is all.

crashdive123
08-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Not at all, but after all of the talk about how new members to the forum are treated, you might want to let Buckball in on your joke.

Sarge47
08-02-2008, 05:28 PM
I have a question for you sir, & it's NOT meant to be a "wise-crack", but a legitamite question. 1st, I believe you were in the branch of armed forces you say you were & you also added that you are taught differently in the UK, correct? If this is so can you explain why, John "Lofty" Wiseman writes, in his book: (pg.42, near the bottom) "The SAS Survival Handbook; How To Survive In The Wild, In Any Climate, On Land Or At Sea": "WARNING (pic of "Skull & Crossbones" that denote POISON!) URINE & SEA WATER Never drink either-Never! But Both can provide drinking water if distilled." Since the SAS is a special branch of the UK military it would seem that they are saying the same thing that the US Military does. Would it not?:rolleyes:

BuckBall
08-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Ah but it's not a joke.
I am extremely serious...loll

Ok...fine.
Hey Buckball
Welcome to the forum.
...I wrote what i wrote to you as an inside joke thingy.
I was in the French commandos a while back...and upon divulging this horrifying information (i am not proud of it) but one cannot escape the facts, i was told that i was lying. Not only was i never in the commandos, but i was not French either...
Imagine the horror when i awoke to this new past !
You can get both "stories" on a thread called "recusing myself"...in this section.

Anyhoot...
How do you like living in the States ?

As I told someone else in private, having been in the states since 2003, I have found that in Americans eyes, the word "Commando" is related to be special forces, when in all honesty it is not. I have seen this word beaten to death to the point of me wanting to beat the daylights out of the moron who titled the movie Commando with dear arny.

My history is that I starterd off in Artillery as a gunner, but having no father, my mentor was a Capt. who saw potential in me and directed me towards the commandos. Thus I went to Exeter and upon graduation I moved into the commandos. After all my time, I still am not fond of jumping out of aircraft, or worse, being underwater. Unlike the grand adventurous some would think a guy in spec ops would have, and me not being in spec ops I merely called in direct fire which was my role really. Of course, in any conflict (especially behind enemy lines) your main role always changes as mine did a few times. But it was anything but glorious.

I dislike Wisconsin, but hope to land in North Carolina in the coming years. My mate is a southern girl from Georgia, so that would be closer to her home and family.

Now onto Sgt's post

BuckBall
08-02-2008, 06:38 PM
I have a question for you sir, & it's NOT meant to be a "wise-crack", but a legitamite question. 1st, I believe you were in the branch of armed forces you say you were & you also added that you are taught differently in the UK, correct? If this is so can you explain why, John "Lofty" Wiseman writes, in his book: (pg.42, near the bottom) "The SAS Survival Handbook; How To Survive In The Wild, In Any Climate, On Land Or At Sea": "WARNING (pic of "Skull & Crossbones" that denote POISON!) URINE & SEA WATER Never drink either-Never! But Both can provide drinking water if distilled." Since the SAS is a special branch of the UK military it would seem that they are saying the same thing that the US Military does. Would it not?:rolleyes:

Yes, the UK tends not to mix what other countries are being taught. That would bring sheer chaos in the learning groove, especially to new recruits who don't have any education beyond their school years.

To answer your question...SAS...they are the movie fiascos of the country and just so you're aware, the Royals intrust in the SBS more than the SAS because they are too caught up in the spot light. Therefore whatever the SBS does, the SAS gets the credit. Which is fine, since it then keeps the others out of the spot light.

When one thinks about drinking urine, you actually think of gulping it like water. This is wrong. Drinking a cap full of your water bottle is safe to do so, but any enourmous porportions of it can bring you harm. In a desert setting, or any arid region, having any liquid is a life saver, even if it's your own urine. In WW2 my grandfather did just that, cap fulls until suitable water or beverage could be consumed. He did this for 3 days, one cap full a day. Nothing in extreme quantities. The SAS did this also, cap full if that...just so long as there was some liquid, however I am more than sure they distilled to some degree.

Yes! urine, if you know how, and have the means to do it, can be drinkable if distilled.

Hope this clears things up

Sarge47
08-02-2008, 07:40 PM
(Now THIS is a joke) Gotta give you Brits credit, you really know how to party!:D You're an Animal!:D Sorta gives a new meaning to phrases like "Pi*s
Off!", or "Pi*s on you!":D Sorry Buck, I just can't help myself. But hey, if we're ever in a survival situation together & in desperate need of water you can have my urine 'cuz there ain't no way I'm drinking it!!!!:eek:

Beo
08-02-2008, 11:26 PM
BuckBall,
I didn't mean to sound as if I doubted you, I was just kinda asking and answering, I never had the pleasure of working with the Brits units in Desert Storm, never did any traaining with them either except a short stint in Germany, respect them for sure.

Remy,
Didn't know that, pretty good bro, I did work with Egyptians in Desert Storm but... well when we went into a city in Iraq they were actually heading the other way, the Iraqi forces were coming in as they (the egyptians, who were the front line of defense of this city) left a Marine Force Recon team on their own, we went in as a back up squad got pulled and had to sit and listen to brave Marines on the radio call in arty fire dang near on their own position, they lost the city but the next day the Marine Commander went back and took that city.

Ole WV Coot
08-03-2008, 12:17 AM
SOMEBODY GET IT STRAIGHT. DO I NEED A CANTEEN OR NOT ???? INQUIRING MINDS (MINE) WANT TO KNOW. Not that it matters, what we drink would lay both British & French low.

VampireRanger676
08-03-2008, 02:29 AM
I definetly joined the right fourm and I have a few of my dad's S.E.A.L's buddies have drunk urine and do not recommend it said once you are crazy enough to do it you are deillsional enough to not notice what you are drinking and Remy were you born in france or did you move there and je paler francais not great at it but i'm still learning

Sarge47
08-03-2008, 10:45 AM
SOMEBODY GET IT STRAIGHT. DO I NEED A CANTEEN OR NOT ???? INQUIRING MINDS (MINE) WANT TO KNOW. Not that it matters, what we drink would lay both British & French low.
Yep! You need a canteen to hold your urine! using both hands cupped together just doesn't seem to work!:D

Ole WV Coot
08-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Yep! You need a canteen to hold your urine! using both hands cupped together just doesn't seem to work!:D

Now I have to go to Wally's and see if I can buy an extra large mouth canteen. Hope that cute young gal in sporting goods will be there, probably need help:D

Sam Reeves
08-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Now I have to go to Wally's and see if I can buy an extra large mouth canteen. Hope that cute young gal in sporting goods will be there, probably need help:D

Make sure you've primed yer pump first.

Pict
08-03-2008, 05:12 PM
"When one thinks about drinking urine, you actually think of gulping it like water. This is wrong. Drinking a cap full of your water bottle is safe to do so, but any enourmous porportions of it can bring you harm." Buckball

First off, I'm in the non-drinker class, but the above is a good point.

There is urine and then there is concentrated urine. In a fully hydrated person his urine should be running free and clear, a capful of it it that stage would have little negative effect but would replace some lost electrolytes. At that stage it will be more water than anything. As that same guy dries out over the next few days his urine will turn dark yellow and have a much more concentrated waste to water ratio.

Typically people who are driven by circumstances to begin drinking urine are also peeing dark yellow sludge at that point. People who also get to that point typically don't collect their urine when they aren't dehydrated yet and it was running clear.

So my question is this, if clear, free running urine is a far less concentrated waste product, at what point do you start collecting it for either drinking a capfulll here and there or future distillation? Can the collection and distillation of urine be part of a plan or does it always have to be done as an act of desperation? If when going into a place that water is a serious problem isn't it also smart to carry some means to make a still? IMO distilling it somehow is the way to go, but you can't do that if you aren't collecting it. Distilled urine or distilled seawater is just distilled water, the good stuff.

I was thinking about this watching "The Flight of the Phoenix" remake. They had big jugs of water , plenty of pipes, fuel for fire yet they made no attempt to collectively collect urine and then distill it to refill a jug or two. They litterally pissed away a golden opportunity IMO. Mac

Ole WV Coot
08-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Make sure you've primed yer pump first.

Thanks Sam, the pump will get primed and the hose will make me proud;)

klkak
08-04-2008, 12:24 AM
Hey Mac, I like your video on the mods you make to a Machete.

Back on subject, The only way I'll be in a position to have to even think about drinking my urine is if the airplane I'm flying on crashes in the middle of the Sahara. As I have no plans to ever travel to Africa any time in this life I will never have to stress over it.